MTB Clothing

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia

Seriously, have you ever tried buying loose fitting active wear for an overweight person? Or even exercising in non sporting wear?Imagine carrying an extra 40 kg back pack then trying to go mtb riding in street wear.

I see lots of people at work too ashamed to exercise because of fear of being judged. Stop and think of the many reasons they might be overweight, and pray you never have to go there.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I guess what you wear is down to the type of riding you do but mtb clothing is not just about fashion it should also provide some protection and allow freedom of movement...and work with other protective gear like knee or elbow pads etc..This thread was about the eclectic sizing and pricing of mtb clothing and that applies regardless of rider size. I have the greatest respect for overweight people trying to lose weight using mtb. MX jerseys are a good option for bigger folk...breatheable but tough and designed to be worn over armour so big sizes.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Seriously, have you ever tried buying loose fitting active wear for an overweight person? Or even exercising in non sporting wear?Imagine carrying an extra 40 kg back pack then trying to go mtb riding in street wear.

I see lots of people at work too ashamed to exercise because of fear of being judged. Stop and think of the many reasons they might be overweight, and pray you never have to go there.

Yes I have I am a fat bastard so I know about finding clothes, I also have started boot camp so do you know how if feels to work out with a women who is twice as strong and weighs less kgs than my age? I hope I don't lose my irony with the kgs...

This helpful clips taught me all I don't know, just an an E to Mtb.

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
weather your light, fat, chubby, chunky or a skinny minny....if someone chooses to wear full lycra, who is anybody to judge, just because they are on an MTB............

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Bought some Endura Humvee shorts the other day. Includes a pad and the shorts seem well made.

Nice and loose fitting, which is great for a big guy. Plenty of pockets means I don't always need a pack.

Shop around and they can be had for under £30. Can definitely recommend these especially as they look OK off the bike as well.

I too pick up technical tees from MW when in sale. Light, wicking and very comfortable but offer no protection and very susceptible to anything abrasive so only for light riding.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If you look like this in Lycra, full ya boots...
lynn-gaggioli.jpg

If you look like this, not so much...
1-fat-cyclist-in-lycra.jpg

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Sorry, you said "if you look like this in lycra"

I read it initially as, "if you like looking at this in lycra, fill your boots"

In second case I certainly will?

SleepyWill

Jun 19, 2019
Chichester
I did pass a new Levo S-Works last week with the (120kgish) rider in full lycra, WTF it is not as if there aren't enough Levo haters already!

Come on dude, you know that for some people, the ONLY way they can get out and about on a bike is with an ebike... whether it's through illness or disability. I've spent 10 years bed bound, what do you think I look like? Tell you what, walk a mile in my shoes for an evening, shop for cycling gear as if you're 1) so much out of the mountain biking loop that you can't remember how to mount your gear lever and have to ask this forum for help and 2) 120 Kg's (That's size 48 waist FYI). Now, tell me how many loose fitting cycling clothes you can find in that size... just the lycra isn't it. Now read every article you can find about what clothes to buy. Yep, puts you off buying ordinary clothes doesn't it.

I'm sorry my circumstances embarrass you. Deal with it, I have. I'll only be overweight until about January, at current rate of weight loss. You'll be the guy who wrote that forever.

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter

Most people are overweight because they eat to much shit and have no self control.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Most people are overweight because they eat to much shit and have no self control.

Most people who believe this are slim.

I tell you what, select a random overweight but active person. Put on a back pack to equalise your weight, spend a week living exactly the same lifestyle and see who wins the weight battle.
Then get some perspective - injure a few weight bearing joints, develop a cardiomyopathy, go on steroids for autoimmune disease, or just antidepressants after a near death rape. Perhaps just spend a day sitting in a doctors chair and looking at the list of medical conditions those overweight people are living with.

I eat a LOT more than most of the active overweight people I know.

Nb we might be coming from a different perspective - I'm in Australia so corn doesn't saturate our diet and we have a different population / genetic mix.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I'm a big lad at 114kg, i'm only in shape if you consider "round" a shape. I don't particularly like tight clothing so I buy tops that are a bit loose and prefer these for the extra mobility. I use lycra, padded cycle shorts or lycra, padded under shorts (easy enough to buy in 2xl or 3xl) I then go to the Workwear/Safety wear shops and buy worksite style shorts with plenty of movement (for working obviously), plenty of pockets, handy for phone, energy bars e.t.c. The ones I have are about "Knee Length.These are readily available in a wide range of sizes, are generally very rugged for hard use, quite comfortable and probably about 1/4 the price of similar looking "Mountain Bike Shorts". I do have one proper pair of Padded Mountain bike shorts that I never use as they are less comfortable than my "Work Shorts". Over 3000km on my EMTB in the last eight months, in comfort and not giving a shit what other people think about how I look.

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Most people who believe this are slim.

I tell you what, select a random overweight but active person. Put on a back pack to equalise your weight, spend a week living exactly the same lifestyle and see who wins the weight battle.
Then get some perspective - injure a few weight bearing joints, develop a cardiomyopathy, go on steroids for autoimmune disease, or just antidepressants after a near death rape. Perhaps just spend a day sitting in a doctors chair and looking at the list of medical conditions those overweight people are living with.

I eat a LOT more than most of the active overweight people I know.

Nb we might be coming from a different perspective - I'm in Australia so corn doesn't saturate our diet and we have a different population / genetic mix.
Most medical conditions fat people have can be cured by losing weight.

Last edited:

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Most medical conditions fat people have can be cured by loosing weight.

Would you like a job? I'd live you to cure all my complex patients so I can just see fit, healthy people.

Just start by explaining how a person with parkinsons disease and necrotising myositis hasn't magically been cured by weight loss. Or the overweight person remains overweight despite having malabsorption from inflamatory bowel disease, bowel cancer, and pancreatic insufficiency - oh, and how she maintains her nutrition whilst you cure those diseases via weight loss.

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
Would you like a job? I'd live you to cure all my complex patients so I can just see fit, healthy people.

Just start by explaining how a person with parkinsons disease and necrotising myositis hasn't magically been cured by weight loss. Or the overweight person remains overweight despite having malabsorption from inflamatory bowel disease, bowel cancer, and pancreatic insufficiency - oh, and how she maintains her nutrition whilst you cure those diseases via weight loss.
Nah mate already got one.
Both my comments still stand.

MOST fat people eat to much.

MOST of the medical conditions fat people get can be cured by simply living a healthy lifestyle.

Reactions: CjP

p060064h

Jun 19, 2019
Exeter
For the record im a fat knacker, when i ride my road bike my thighs hit my belly on the up stroke so not hating :):):)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Well fat, thin, long or short
wearing lycra or a baggy short
we welcome them all on here
but not abusive attitudes I fear,
so kindly keep the thread on track,
stick to talking about clothing fit,
and not the size of those in it

;)
(y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My Aliexpress mountain bike shorts arrived today. Three weeks after ordering, so for me, faster than the LBS. I actually forgot I ordered them so quite a pleasant surprise :) Not ridden in them yet but had them on all afternoon, fit well, cool (it's hot here), comfortable, light, flexible. Come to just above knee caps. Quality on par if not better than the Kenny's I have, so at €20 instead of €70, I'm happy so far.

US $21.6 28% OFF|OUTTO Men's Cycling Shorts MTB Mountain Bike Ropa Breathable Loose Fit For Outdoor Sports Running Bicycle Riding Shorts-in Cycling Shorts from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Edit : rode in them this morning. Excellent. Not sure what went wrong but I didn't do my normal crash test dummy, so no abrasion or snag and drag testing.

Last edited:

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
Been getting bits from Amazon to keep costs down, aim a size up and not had problem with tops and shorts

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
ive just bought a batch of 7 jerseys from the running/crossfit section on wiggle. only one jersey was over £10 and they all fit like a glove...loose, breathable, wicking jerseys are not easy to come by for the larger lad....but under armour, adidas and new balance seem to have the right balance of size and comfort

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I wear loose fitting, long sleeve running tops as well. Looks nicer than the giant logo mtb stuff and at least half the price.

For shorts the TLD Skylines are best summer shorts ever. Really nice! For wetter times I have Madison Addict (I guess they are called ETD now) waterproof shorts. Nice and sturdy, a bit small pockets though.

But my never ending quest is to find long mtb pants with normal/slim fit (33-34" waist) and long legs (I'm 190cm, almost 6'3"). MTB pants are usually sized S,M,L,XL.. If I choose pants with long enough legs, then the waist is usually huuuuuuuge. L size MTB pants seem to have only 32" long legs and I need atleast 34". Any ideas?

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have bought "Fox" jerseys from ebay......I say Fox because the designs all have the Fox logo on them but they arrive with no labels. You cannot fail to find them on ebay....lots of different sellers and lots of designs/colours. They cost c £13 inc postage and I chose UK sellers which delivered in 3 days. I am 39 inch chest and large is a good loose fit over Leatt armour. I can see no quality difference to any other branded Coolmax type jersey. I wore one on a ride with a mix of hot bumid temperatures at low levels and chilly slight drizzle weather at the top of a climb and it worked well in both scenarios.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have bought "Fox" jerseys from ebay......I say Fox because the designs all have the Fox logo on them but they arrive with no labels. You cannot fail to find them on ebay....lots of different sellers and lots of designs/colours. They cost c £13 inc postage and I chose UK sellers which delivered in 3 days. I am 39 inch chest and large is a good loose fit over Leatt armour. I can see no quality difference to any other branded Coolmax type jersey. I wore one on a ride with a mix of hot bumid temperatures at low levels and chilly slight drizzle weather at the top of a climb and it worked well in both scenarios.

We like the sound of those :) I can't see any which don't have delivery as August/September though ?

JonnyLevo34

Jun 23, 2019
Kent
Have you tried the TLD Sprint DH pants. I'm pretty I sure I bought mine in waist/leg size. I was bit fatter than I'd have liked to have been and only have a regular leg. They're bloody excellent pants and they're as you describe. Normal/slim fit they taper as they go down. I think I went for the most gruesome colour I could, so that I didn't pay full price for them. Check them out.

I wear loose fitting, long sleeve running tops as well. Looks nicer than the giant logo mtb stuff and at least half the price.

For shorts the TLD Skylines are best summer shorts ever. Really nice! For wetter times I have Madison Addict (I guess they are called ETD now) waterproof shorts. Nice and sturdy, a bit small pockets though.

But my never ending quest is to find long mtb pants with normal/slim fit (33-34" waist) and long legs (I'm 190cm, almost 6'3"). MTB pants are usually sized S,M,L,XL.. If I choose pants with long enough legs, then the waist is usually huuuuuuuge. L size MTB pants seem to have only 32" long legs and I need atleast 34". Any ideas?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

I have been on the same quest as you for pants for a while - best to date are the Endura Singletrack pants

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles