Motor whine how bad is it anyway?

Savan

Dec 16, 2021
Iowa
I've ordered a '22 levo alloy. A LARGE part of my decision is based on the widespread acceptance (at least in what i've read and seen) that the bros motor is the quietest hands down. Do you have side by side experience to share about the relative difference?

All the top bikes are so close I think you pick a price range and a brand you like and you can't really lose. But, I'm questioning if putting a premium value on motor noise, or lack of, is misled.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Well, you have your answer already. You don’t notice the difference. Beware letting anything else inside your head!
Now, yes, I’ve ridden a long way on the Brose 2.1 and also on the EP8.
I’ve read that the EP8 rattles; so much some want to sell their bikes.
I’ve read that the Brose 2.1 whines very smoothly. And loudly in Turbo when passing other normally aspirated bikes toiling up a hill, so much some say it’s embarrassing.
My view?
They sound different…
Duh🙄 they’re different motors…
But they’re both just fine.
The Brose is more powerful and has more endurance per battery watt in Turbo, but not so much so when pushed less hard. The EP8 is more sophisticated and responsive to rider input/style - more natural - and endurance per battery watt is similar when not in turbo and battery size and tyre stickiness is accounted for (maybe the Brose is a bit more efficient, but not nearly as much as some say). Read carefully for how the bikes ridden and where and how it’s been set in the apps. Oh, and whether the rider has learned how to get the best out of an eeb. If your a bike park turbo shuttler, then there’s no doubt the Brose is hands down the most efficient. But not nearly so much so if you’re using the trailer uplift…
They make more noise at different times from each other. But neither is noisier than the other.
I just can’t discern the rattle on the EP8 and I’m pleased I haven’t fallen into the trap of spending too much time on that. Perhaps it’s the VPP. on my Bullit that disguises it? Perhaps it’s because I’ve only got a cheap GX mech? My Levo had the same mech tho’…
I don’t care.
The Brose 2.1 announces itself in Turbo earlier than many motors toiling up hill. I didn’t find that embarrassing - I take a pragmatic ”Say Hi” approach to passing others on my eeb. It works most of the time and I give no time to the rest.
You’ve picked your bike for other reasons. The Levo 22 Alloy is a wonderful machine. I hope you’ve seen @Rob Rides EMTB first look vid about this one - there’s a review on the way - and they are where you should look for your ‘feel good vibes now I’m committed’ whilst you wait for yours 🌈
I’d buy one, I just don’t need to.
And put your question today in the bin where it belongs - for psychological reasons 😉
Here’s Rob’s vid.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've only had two motors, an e8000 and an EP8. The EP8 is quieter. The rattling that some report only happens when the top chain is slack. I find it to be so minimal that I have to listen out for it.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I tend to have music on when cycling (running bone conducting headphones) so don't tend to notice it too much. When I don't have music on it annoys me for a while and then I forget it.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
My brose motor is 3rd gen in my20 levo frame.. I would say its quite noisy . Not annoying just makes cool motor noise. My Bosch active line plus makes no noise. Although it only provides 50nm of torque. My original brose motor was very quiet untill it got really noisy and died . I think worrying about motor noise is a waste of time .

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Coming from 2 stroke 125's with expansion chambers with 0 muffling bitd ebikes are silent.

Saw a guy on the ube tube trying out his new 80cc RC monster truck and they went for the earplugs right away. It was a ripper though once they got it tuned up!

I notice mine that has steel reduction gears over the knobby noise as load increases but don't find it offensive and I rarely ride around anyone that would care if it did make a noise. And if I did I would say f'em.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
It was the rattling that annoyed me when freewheeling on the Shimano’s, the rest of the time when pedalling I wasn’t bothered between the noise of the Brose/Bosch/Shimano.

Two of my friends Bosch gen4 cx motors (on different bike brands) are way more noisy than my Brose under any mode climbing; as are the EP8s I’ve ridden. But not annoyingly so. Come downhill and f*** me that rattle is annoying.

My Brose on the Levo is the quietest and best feeling for my riding style. I ride long distance xc, enduro, dh, bike park (shuttle), pub rides.

Can’t comment on efficiency but I’m sure they’re all pretty similar.

I’m sure the “motor will break” conversation will start up again soon, but I’ve covered >4000 miles on my Levo/Brose 2.1 so it cant be that bad in comparison.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
MY experience is of the Brose 2.1 and the Bosch Gen4. Motor noise on both varies with cadence v power input. So the Brose is quieter because it delivers more power at lower cadences whilst the Bosch prefers always a higher cadence. The bosch gen4 in my Whyte E180 does not rattle..........maybe because of the rear triangle/rear shock set up. Both motors are pretty quiet until you really apply pressure on the pedals. If you do not keep up a good cadence both can be noisier. So noise is not really an issue for me on either motor albeit the Bosch requires a higher cadence than the Brose regardless of speed/torque input to be comparable. The biggest difference between them is how the power is delivered and the Brose is more sophisticated in that aspect............I dare say the geo/weight/suspension travel of the bike impacts on that as well though. Both are good motors. I did c 1800 miles on my Brose before it was stolen so no reliability issues for me.

Last edited:

Winger

May 28, 2020
Birmingham
I’ve got a Turbo Levo, my wife has a Cube 160 stereo Action team....if there’s a difference...sure as hell wouldn’t want to live on the difference.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles