Motor upgrade from 3000w to 5000w or bigger?

Akore

Nov 8, 2019
Colombia
My Energy Motor Ocean motorcycle came with a 72v 3000w hub motor. I upgraded the Gel batteries to a Lithium one. What I am wondering is how hard would it be to upgrade the hub motor to a more powerful one?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
if The motor is rated 3kw then that is the continuous power band that it can do all day long without stopping or overheating. The peak power of the motor willl be much higher, which sometime is 3 or4 times higher than the continuous power rating. You do not need to upgrade the motor. You need to upgrade the electronic controller to a higher amp rated unit.
you need to know what continuous amps and what peak amps the new battery is capable of being drained at. This will allow you to then pick a suitable controller.
The controller limits the flow of amps. you need a more powerful controller.

do you know what motor it is? Or who manufactured it?

Last edited:

Akore

Nov 8, 2019
Colombia
The controller limits the flow of amps. you need a more powerful controller.

do you know what motor it is? Or who manufactured it?

No idea what motor is in it but I know the entire motorcycle was imported from China to a company here in Colombia that is no longer in business. I know that the service tech that put the new battery in had to re-program the controller for the new battery and that the controller has a USB port on it that I guess if you have the right software on you computer you can make changes to it?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
No idea what motor is in it but I know the entire motorcycle was imported from China to a company here in Colombia that is no longer in business. I know that the service tech that put the new battery in had to re-program the controller for the new battery and that the controller has a USB port on it that I guess if you have the right software on you computer you can make changes to it?
Your best bet is to go onto the forum 'Endless Sphere' and photograph the bike, the motor, the controller and if possible the cells inside the battery and see if you can get help. There are many booffindps on there that will probably recognise your parts and be able to direct you.

for more acceleration and top speed there are lots of things that need to be looked at Such as,
what designed rpm the motor is, What are the amp limits of the controller and what cells are in your battery and what ah it is.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles