Levo Gen 2 Motor replacement lead times

Darkred

Oct 9, 2020
Sheffield
Hi All

New to the forum :) been lurking for a while though !!

I have a 2019 Levo and the motor gave up 3 weeks ago after 600 miles. Its been with the bike shop (a chain i am afraid) for two weeks. They say that they are waiting for the motor from specialized. It's a warranty claim, but does anyone have any knowledge on the lead times on these at the moment ? I know that there is a shortage of bike parts, but is this the same for Brose Motors?

Keen to see in the shop are not being 100% truthful or not?

Thanks

Sep 19, 2020
Squamish, BC, Canada
Fourth motor.... what a disaster.

Oh and I got the TCU and wiring warrantied once as well.

Still, I love this bike and the customer service on it has been pretty outstanding. The 2 week wait happened to be at a time that I was away for a week anyways so only missed one weekend of riding. Extra 2 years of warranty was the cherry on top that has made me not worry about big costs before getting a new bike next year, and the resale value.

Darkred

Oct 9, 2020
Sheffield
@Specialized Rider Care I was hoping you could help with the above? Looks like there are two of us waiting nearly 3 weeks in my case and 4 in @imartins case? Anything you could do to help would be gratefully received as I am without a bike at the moment. Thank you :)

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’m waiting on my third motor been waiting 6 weeks, last time was 4 weeks. Seems it’s LBS lottery with what BS they give you. COVID has impacted them, but I’m led to believe that spesh do not have a shortage of motors. Some LBS keep some in stock, others wait for spesh to send them out.

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
The info I got from my lbs was that they send the motors to specialized, they are checked and serviced and only then they come back. This is not consistent with what other said here, so I don’t know what to think anymore.
The guys at the lbs are also pretty desperate with the increasing amount of people getting increasingly frustrated, I feel like.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
The info I got from my lbs was that they send the motors to specialized, they are checked and serviced and only then they come back. This is not consistent with what other said here, so I don’t know what to think anymore.
The guys at the lbs are also pretty desperate with the increasing amount of people getting increasingly frustrated, I feel like.
Spesh don’t rebuild/refurbish or repair motors. That always send new.

ridehard

Aug 20, 2019
Israel
I'm pretty sure SPESH ships out faulty motors back to BROSE, which services them as new, implement relevant improvements and design modifications and releases them back to SPESH's stock to use as replacements. That's how we get such great service and immediate turn around times. No other model makes sense (business wise).
Reading all the latest comments about long turn around times for motors, I'm just wondering if its derived by a logistic problem (i.e. - less commercial flights, freight flight , couriers loaded etc...), or we are seeing a transient effect of the new motors breaking down less, which leads to less "repair round" units thus - longer turn around times. Or even a good (bad) mix of both...

Just sharing my thoughts on this.
So far I had great service with immediate turn around, hope it stays like that, at least till we are all updated with new motors and sure they are no longer failing.

Bogo

Mar 5, 2021
Slovenia
Hello, I have 4 month old Kenevo Comp 2021 (ride it cca. 350km). Now, motor is sounding noisly - very loud bang when starting pedal (motor date is January 2020). I started warranty in our local bike shop. I am waiting 14 days, still nothing from Specialized. So, I have new bike and can't ride it becose I am waiting for new motor, which is supposed to be fixed (model 2021).

Is this normal, that in 14 days Specialized didnt answer about motor replacement?

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks @Zimmerframe

@Bogo sorry to hear you're off your bike and waiting. Not cool. Motors are definitely in stock and shipping, you have our word on that. This could be a delay at the retailer or perhaps a processing issue with our Specialized regional team? We don't know of any internal reason for the delay though. Will take a look into this with the manager covering your area, will also send you a PM to get the retailer name so that we can make sure things are moving smoothly.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I've spoken with @Bogo and checked with a team-mate who looks after Slovenia - on this occasion the fault was entirely ours and this was an admin error. No fault of the retailer - sincere apologies from Specialized.

@Bogo - The motor replacement is now shipped and on the way to the store. I very much hope the store will be able to fit it quickly and get you back on your wheels again.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
My motor broke last sunday. Dropped the bike off at the shop on monday. Friday the shop said they are sending in my motor to specialized in sweden.

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
I bought a 2020 levo expert on January 5, 2021 and unfortunately I already had a defective engine twice.

I was there when the mechanic called specialized. He had to pass on some software issues and was immediately told that they would send in a new engine.

Within a few days I had a nicely functioning bike back!

Top arranged by my dealer and Specialized. For me one of the reasons that I still drive Specialized after 2 defective engines within one month.

I now have an August 2020 motor.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
I'm lucky enough that my LBS is a specialized concept store. Or so I thought...... it's coming on for a month now and still no replacement motor. :(

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
In October had a failure after 3000 + miles , local bike shop Melksham , Wiltshire requested new motor on the Friday , arrived and fitted on the Wednesday . Fantastic service ?

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
Engine number 3 is replaced after almost 5000 km.

When I turned the crank backwards it felt like there was sand in it.

The power also occasionally dropped and eventually the TCU also failed.

The dealer called me with the announcement that after mounting engine 4 immediately a malfunction arose which my dealer could not fix.

The Specialized importer is now coming to collect it to solve the problem.

The bike is just 1 year old.

To be continued...

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
Engine number 3 is replaced after almost 5000 km.

When I turned the crank backwards it felt like there was sand in it.

The power also occasionally dropped and eventually the TCU also failed.

The dealer called me with the announcement that after mounting engine 4 immediately a malfunction arose which my dealer could not fix.

The Specialized importer is now coming to collect it to solve the problem.

The bike is just 1 year old.

To be continued...

Specialized picked up the bike on Thursday and the following Tuesday I got a call that it was ready again. super fast arranged by my dealer and the Specialized importer!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles