Motor noise, power cut-off and warranty void

_Nutty_

Feb 27, 2022
Azores
Hello!

Browsed the Forums but I figure my problem is somewhat unique, so, here goes.
A few weeks ago my Shimano e7000 motor started making a weird noise (mp3 attached) as soon as I applied force to the pedals. After just a few seconds, system would beep twice and shutdown. With power off, pedaling is smooth and no noise.
Took the bike to an approved dealer as the bike is only two years old. As soon as the bike was connected to the computer, an error popped up. Something to do with the sprocket having less teeth. The guy asked me if I changed the sprocket or if connected the bike to a non authorized program, which I didn't, ever! He forwarded the report to the local Shimano Rep and they replied the bike had been tampered with and warranty was therefore void! The solution is to buy a new motor!
So... I don't think I can prove that the bike was not modified in any way. I asked the dealer if he could check the bike logs for connections. I only connected the bike to my phone using E-Tube Project a few times, and only twice to a computer in the dealer shop.
Questions... has anyone experienced something of sorts? What can I do?
Feeling hopeless...

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230518_145222.mp3
    245.3 KB

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I agree, take it back to where you bought it and start the process again and hopefully a new report will not show any unauthorised software.

My Merida was almost 4 year old and well out of warranty when my e8000 motor failed , I took it back to where I bought it and they sent the motor back to Shimano who gave me a new one free of charge.
Lbs charged me £40 labour which I was well happy with.
I had not tampered with mine in any way which must have helped my cause.

Tonytank

Jun 5, 2019
London
This is why i would never again buy shimano powered ebike, their customer service is woeful in assuming all their motors fail because of tampering! As has been said go back to point of purchase, really they should have to prove its been tampered with.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
That's the trouble get an awkward dealer it's going to be a hard chew. Good luck keep us updated
In the UK the main issue is Madison not the bike shop. They are the Shimano importers and handle warranty claims. Any time I have had dealings with them the bike shop has had to jump through hoops to get a fix. It took me 5 months for my local shop to get them to sell me a spare motor !!!

Madison is one of the reasons I will not have another Shimano based bike

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
In the UK the main issue is Madison not the bike shop. They are the Shimano importers and handle warranty claims. Any time I have had dealings with them the bike shop has had to jump through hoops to get a fix. It took me 5 months for my local shop to get them to sell me a spare motor !!!

Madison is one of the reasons I will not have another Shimano based bike
So get an awkward dealer and madison your goosed by the sounds of it.

_Nutty_

Feb 27, 2022
Azores
That's the trouble get an awkward dealer it's going to be a hard chew. Good luck keep us updated
Update!

After a (very) long time, I got feedback from the dealer. Amazingly a bike just like mine rolled in the dealer shop with the exact same problem!! The dealer again forwarded the problem to the national Shimano Rep and they will assume repair costs!! So happy! I had no luck reaching out to Shimano to plea my case and I had no way to prove I didn't tamper with the bike. Guess all the planets aligned on this one...

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Update!

After a (very) long time, I got feedback from the dealer. Amazingly a bike just like mine rolled in the dealer shop with the exact same problem!! The dealer again forwarded the problem to the national Shimano Rep and they will assume repair costs!! So happy! I had no luck reaching out to Shimano to plea my case and I had no way to prove I didn't tamper with the bike. Guess all the planets aligned on this one...
Great news pal . Half the problem nowadays is your not speaking to the person with the authority to say yes or no . It could go through six people before going to that person. One could be MR Greedy another MR Thick you know what I mean and it all takes time . That's what I think anyway.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles