Motor just replaced, new oddity trying to turn off bike

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
We just had a motor replaced under warranty on one of our 2020 Levos (belt failure). We rode it around our block to confirm everything was fine, which it was. However, we found ourselves struggling to turn the bike off. Previously, we would just tap the power button on the TPU (without holding it in) and the bike would turn off. Our OTHER 2020 Levo is the same....just tap the power, and it immediately turns off.

After the motor was replaced, we noticed on this bike, that if you tap the power button...it turns off, then 2-3secs later it turns back on. With some trial-and-error, we found that if we hold the power button for 4-5secs, then the power will turn off.

Has anyone else experienced this? To turn off your Levo, do you simply tap the power button...or do you have to hold the button for 4-5secs.

**** UPDATE: @Specialized Rider Care was correct. It was just a firmware version issue. Took it back to my LBS, and they updated the firmware on the motor. That fixed the issue. Thanks again Specialized!

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
We just had a motor replaced under warranty on one of our 2020 Levos (belt failure). We rode it around our block to confirm everything was fine, which it was. However, we found ourselves struggling to turn the bike off. Previously, we would just tap the power button on the TPU (without holding it in) and the bike would turn off. Our OTHER 2020 Levo is the same....just tap the power, and it immediately turns off.

After the motor was replaced, we noticed on this bike, that if you tap the power button...it turns off, then 2-3secs later it turns back on. With some trial-and-error, we found that if we hold the power button for 4-5secs, then the power will turn off.

Has anyone else experienced this? To turn off your Levo, do you simply tap the power button...or do you have to hold the button for 4-5secs.

Sorry to hear! Can you check your Mission Control - DIAGNOSE - MOTOR and paste here which motor Firmware you're running? Thanks

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
Sorry to hear! Can you check your Mission Control - DIAGNOSE - MOTOR and paste here which motor Firmware you're running? Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure if this was normal, so I thought I'd get confirmation before going back to our LBS. My LBS has been wonderful to work with. I'll go out shortly and get the firmware version it's running.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Just checked. The motor firmware version is: 7.1.1

* Just for comparison, I checked our other 2020 Levo and it's running 6.1.0 (this one isn't having the issue)

Thanks for confirming. Brose ship all service motors at their latest FW version - currently 7.1.1. With the Levo 2020 the correct version of FW is 6.1.0 - this failure to turn off is simply a compatibility issue with the motor having the default Brose FW instead of the Specialized approved version.

It's an easy fix but you need to get the bike back to your retailer and ask them to connect the bike to Turbo Studio and go through the correct component change/firmware update process - looks like they forgot to do this after they physically replaced the motor. Apologies for the hassle!

shacall2

Sep 25, 2019
California (SoCal)
Thanks for confirming. Brose ship all service motors at their latest FW version - currently 7.1.1. With the Levo 2020 the correct version of FW is 6.1.0 - this failure to turn off is simply a compatibility issue with the motor having the default Brose FW instead of the Specialized approved version.

It's an easy fix but you need to get the bike back to your retailer and ask them to connect the bike to Turbo Studio and go through the correct component change/firmware update process - looks like they forgot to do this after they physically replaced the motor. Apologies for the hassle!

That's great to hear, thanks for the information! My LBS has been wonderful with everything, so I'm sure it was just an oversight. I'll have them take care of it. Appreciate the response!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles