Motor bit the dust

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
After 3 years of fun & excitement without missing a beat my Spesh turbo levo FSR 2018 motor bit the dust the other day I think the belt has gone I’ve dropped the motor out & boxed it up & on Saturday it’s off on an adventure to E-motors repairs in Cumbria for a little TLC...the reason for the post is to try & find out what the blue stuff is in my attached picture (inside the orange circle) it’s like ‘blue tack’ but softer & it seems like it’s acting as a buffer between the Levo frame & motor any ideas would be appreciated. Cyclejunkie61 thanks in advance
26F12929-A649-4B52-A859-95CD41AFF2E5.jpeg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lt's likely exactly what you said, you could replace it with black silicone sealant when you refit the motor, which would probably form a better seal.

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
It's heat transfer paste. It helps cool the motor by transferring heat to the frame.

Absolutely DO NOT !!! replace it with silicone sealant.
You may well be correct, but is this needed in the UK? It could also be vibration/sound deadening material. I am sure some of the old gits remember putting corks or plasticine, then a lose sandwich of leadshot, followed by more plasticine up motorcycle handlebars in the hope that you could see something in the mirrors.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l filled the handlebars of my Z1000 with sand and it made the mirrors much better at higher speeds, in that l could actually see things in them.
l was sceptical but it really did work.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
You may well be correct
he is
but is this needed in the UK?
specialized seem to think so
It could also be vibration/sound deadening material
possibly as a secondary purpose or added bonus
I am sure some of the old gits remember putting corks or plasticine, then a lose sandwich of leadshot, followed by more plasticine up motorcycle handlebars in the hope that you could see something in the mirrors.
are you comparing an ancient motorcycle bodge with the heat and performance management of a high end ebike motor? besides, everyone knows filling the bars with silicone sealant is the way to go, especially on two strokes !

sorry, I lol'd a lot at your post.

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
he is

specialized seem to think so

possibly as a secondary purpose or added bonus

are you comparing an ancient motorcycle bodge with the heat and performance management of a high end ebike motor? besides, everyone knows filling the bars with silicone sealant is the way to go, especially on two strokes !

sorry, I lol'd a lot at your post.
Actually not just an ancient motorcycle bodge, but in principle a very advanced form of avoiding vibration resonance, and sound transfer. I am still really struggling with the idea of the need for heat transfer paste/tape, as against good design. Anyway glad you had a laugh!

Penttithefinn

Feb 3, 2021
Suffolk
really, own a PC at all ?
Funnily enough yes and it has good design, using heat sinks and fans, not just tape. The irony of this is that in the 80s I worked on TAT8, and made heatsinks and other components for the optical amplifiers in the repeaters, and for most of the time if not all the time they weren't necessary, but the cost of retrieval was too high to risk!

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Seems like pretty decent design to me. You've got a large surface area of frame, can't really use airflow to move heat away from the motor, so use the frame as a heatsink. Think that's possibly a pad, rather than paste? similar in operation, just a bit less messy!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles