Most discreet way of carrying tools and tubes on your bike?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Was this directed at me?

Not sure what you mean by “cat caught your tongue”

Am awaiting your comments on the fact that the bag on the scales at 660g is the full bag instead of as you thought the empty bag.

Also an answer to "how much do you weigh?"

Merriam Webster said:
cat got your tongue
idiom

informal
—used to ask someone why he or she is not saying anything

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I got have the wolftooth encase kit in my handlebars. Bought it on aliexpress for 26 euro ( obviously not the real thing). Apart from the chain breaker ( wich is actually rubbish and brakes straight away) it works great. Got send a new kit for 1 dollar when it chainbreaker broke, but it broke again. I now use the left side to stash my tireplugs quicklink.
20220127_142914.jpg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Am awaiting your comments on the fact that the bag on the scales at 660g is the full bag instead of as you thought the empty bag.

Also an answer to "how much do you weigh?"

What’s there to comment on?…..lol

You said it weighs 660gram, am I supposed to call you a liar?

I’m still puzzled how your replied the OP’s post about a discreet way to carry some tools is to suggest he strap a backpack to his head tube like you did. What exactly is discreet about that?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
What’s there to comment on?…..lol

You said it weighs 660gram, am I supposed to call you a liar?

I’m still puzzled how your replied the OP’s post about a discreet way to carry some tools is to suggest he strap a backpack to his head tube like you did. What exactly is discreet about that?

whoosh.gif

Adieu.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Im going to try the EDC steerer tube solution.
It’s a shame it can’t hold a Co2 can and a tyre plug.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I’m assuming at 660g that bag is empty on the scale?

Why do you carry 5oz of tubeless sealant and a spare tube?

I really feel like all of this

View attachment 94609

Could simply be replaced by this

View attachment 94610

Just seems that you have somethings that are unnecessary unless you were doing some epic all day ride in the middle of nowhere.
If you are using the OneUp setup with tubeless tires, I don't how much less you can ask for. Most of the riders on this forum are older and like to spend the day out on their bikes where they might be hours away from their homes or cars and like to be prepared for what may happen. I am never more than 30 minutes walk down from a trail if I am not able to fix a problem trail side with what I carry in my fanny pack (basically what you are showing in your picture with the additon of a phone, keys, ID, small pliers (smaller than shown), a CO2 inflator. Clif shots and more bacon!) but I also run Cushcore front and back so its not like I am going to carry a tube or tire levers. I run a Fox 38 and don't want to have to thread a OneUp steer tube so other than a small back pack, this is what I came up with.
What else were you exactly looking to carry?
pliers.jpg

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
If you are using the OneUp setup with tubeless tires, I don't how much less you can ask for. Most of the riders on this forum are older and like to spend the day out on their bikes where they might be hours away from their homes or cars and like to be prepared for what may happen. I am never more than 30 minutes walk down from a trail if I am not able to fix a problem trail side with what I carry in my fanny pack (basically what you are showing in your picture with the additon of a phone, keys, ID, small pliers (smaller than shown), a CO2 inflator. Clif shots and more bacon!) but I also run Cushcore front and back so its not like I am going to carry a tube or tire levers. I run a Fox 38 and don't want to have to thread a OneUp steer tube so other than a small back pack, this is what I came up with.
View attachment 94745

Ah, Knipex, a man who knows his tools. (y)

Sometimes we are over 10 miles from our start point and a 10 mile walk pushing a bike is not ******* funny (expletive deleted).

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Im going to try the EDC steerer tube solution.
It’s a shame it can’t hold a Co2 can and a tyre plug.

Not exactly...
If you use the threaded tool carrier (screws into your steerer tube), then you can fit a CO2 cartridge into it. If you use the threadless tool carrier, then there's a little capsule on the end into which you can install a needled and a single tire plug. Neither solution is optimum for me.

I chose to go with the threadless, but a single tire plug doesn't seem to be enough. I got the EDC pump, which also accommodates tools. In mine, I carry a single CO2 cartridge and a full-blown plug kit. I didn't have a plug kit that fit perfectly, so I took an Innovation kit, cut off the small end to shorten it up, and turned down the big end to fit inside the pump. At the risk of sounding big-headed, I've got to say that the modified plug kit is sheer genius. Everyone who uses the EDC pump should have a plug kit that fits inside.

You can mix and match parts, so take a look at the web page before throwing down the cash. Here's a couple pics of my setup.

IMG_3644.jpeg

IMG_3648.jpeg

IMG_3649.jpeg

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
this is what I came up with.

A buddy at work showed me a Knipex pliers that the company had given him to perform a very specific task. Since I would be retiring soon and I didn't need it for work, I would have felt bad requisitioning one for myself. As it turns out, Mrs. Iron bought me the WHOLE SET of Knipex smooth jaw pliers. These things are GREAT. Call me racist if you will, but those Germans build some NICE stuff.

I'm glad that it was a stock photograph to show us the pliers, rather than a picture you took yourself. Otherwise I would have made fun of your freshly manicured hands that don't look like they've done a lick of work in your life, and your pliers that have never touched a bolt head. 😄

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
A buddy at work showed me a Knipex pliers that the company had given him to perform a very specific task. Since I would be retiring soon and I didn't need it for work, I would have felt bad requisitioning one for myself. As it turns out, Mrs. Iron bought me the WHOLE SET of Knipex smooth jaw pliers. These things are GREAT. Call me racist if you will, but those Germans build some NICE stuff.

I'm glad that it was a stock photograph to show us the pliers, rather than a picture you took yourself. Otherwise I would have made fun of your freshly manicured hands that don't look like they've done a lick of work in your life, and your pliers that have never touched a bolt head. 😄
I call your bluff. The smallest one is in my fanny pack. I am but a mere High School Technology teacher (CAD, Egnineering and Woodwork) so I am able to do most technical things to the grade 12 level!. "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become administrators" At least I am not like my brothers who are Engineers, who are practically useless!
20220813_123306.jpg

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
My 3 bikes use a small frame bag. I’d rather not have to walk out if I break down half way through a 20 mile loop. I mostly ride trails where I am only a few miles from the car at all times. On the weekends I’ll try to do long loops if I can get away. I’d rather not change back and forth for each type of riding, I like things simple. I hate seat bags. I’ve found these small frame bags to look good and store everything I need.

As a side note, those top tube bags are disgusting and bulky, but I guess they work and to each their own.

Here are the different bikes with their respective bags:

4CA223FB-6D6E-4F5C-9CF4-A8245D763626.jpeg
94FF2A53-B0C5-4ACA-96C9-29524DB9EA84.jpeg
D73D5C6A-652C-4E4E-9D4D-91113142F0D1.jpeg

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
My 3 bikes use a small frame bag. I’d rather not have to walk out if I break down half way through a 20 mile loop. I mostly ride trails where I am only a few miles from the car at all times. On the weekends I’ll try to do long loops if I can get away. I’d rather not change back and forth for each type of riding, I like things simple. I hate seat bags. I’ve found these small frame bags to look good and store everything I need.

What are the bags? (make/models)

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
What are the bags? (make/models)

Evoc Multi Frame Pack

Blackburn Outpost Corner Bage

The other one is an Ibis Porkchop bag specifically designed for the bike, so that won’t work for your needs.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

As a side note, those top tube bags are disgusting and bulky, but I guess they work and to each their own.

View attachment 94866 View attachment 94867 View attachment 94868

Given the position of the shock and 600ml water bottle on my Rail there's room only for a too small frame bag in front of the water bottle. But happy if you could show otherwise with the stuff I take with me. Pic of contents and bike above. hth

Last edited:

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire

View attachment 94866 View attachment 94867 View attachment 94868
I’m not a fan of frame bags as I find they diminish the aesthetics of the frame but those look quite good. Especially the last black one. That is virtually undetectable.
Why do you hate seat bags?.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles