Morzine lift passes?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Hi all,

Does anyone know if its possible to buy lift passes for Ports Du Soleil in advance or can you only buy them on the day?

If its on the day, is there a risk of not having enough passes meaning we would have travelled for 10+ hours to find we can't ride?

Cheers

Last edited:

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Have you checked the Morzine website for Intel?

I think the chances of France being closed during July/August are virtually zero.
If Macron tried that the masses would be sharpening the guillotines before he’d finished making the speech.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I have - I can't find clear information on buying tickets in advance unfortunately, and the official Morzine website only seems to sell Ski passes (unless I've missed something).

I've removed the COVID bit from my post as it was confusing - really just asking about tickets rather than France is open, sorry.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I take it Morzine is good? I’ve never been to a Euro bike park such as that. Hoping to this year.
So many to choose from.

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
I think I’m not understanding what your concern is, typically running out of passes isn’t really something that happens. You might find some information on the Portes du Soleil website.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've always just bought them there and can't see anywhere to buy them online, not sure if prices have been released yet.
I can't imagine they will sell out of passes though, you'll just have to queue for longer if more people go.

Other bike parks are available in the Euro area ?

There are, but nowhere else really comes close in terms of amount of trails/parks that can be ridden under the same lift pass.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I think I’m not understanding what your concern is, typically running out of passes isn’t really something that happens. You might find some information on the Portes du Soleil website.

Thanks SwissMountainLeader; have checked out the website but unfortunately can't find any information on MTB lift passes

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I've always just bought them there and can't see anywhere to buy them online, not sure if prices have been released yet.
I can't imagine they will sell out of passes though, you'll just have to queue for longer if more people go.

There are, but nowhere else really comes close in terms of amount of trails/parks that can be ridden under the same lift pass.

Thanks mate, fingers crossed ?

There's loads of places that seem to offer pre-purchased mtb passes but they only come with accommodation; not sure how they do that. We've got our accommodation booked already (they dont offer this service).

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I went to the Portes de Soleil area (a while ago now one June), we queued up for ten mins on the first morning, bought a pass for the week and that was that! It covered the whole area, including Morzine, Les Gets and many more. Selling lift passes is how they make their money, they are not going to run out. Crowding is controlled by the lift capacity. If one site is too crowded for your liking, just go elsewhere.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks mate, fingers crossed ?

There's loads of places that seem to offer pre-purchased mtb passes but they only come with accommodation; not sure how they do that. We've got our accommodation booked already (they dont offer this service).

I guess they probably get an amount of passes at a reduced rate and include them in their holiday packages.

I've just booked 3 weeks off work at the start of August so all being well I'll be there then, gutted I missed out last year!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
When I went to the Portes de Soleil area (a while ago now one June), we queued up for ten mins on the first morning, bought a pass for the week and that was that! It covered the whole area, including Morzine, Les Gets and many more. Selling lift passes is how they make their money, they are not going to run out. Crowding is controlled by the lift capacity. If one site is too crowded for your liking, just go elsewhere.

Thanks Steve

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Thanks all appreciate all the info; consensus seems to be that its a rock up and buy when there. So will crack on and will stop worrying ?

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
I think the point is/was , restricted numbers due to COVID.

That's not really likely I think. There were some limits in Switzerland for the winter but France didn't open so that didn't happen there. The Swiss limit was 2/3 normal numbers which is a huge amount more than the summer. We're expecting lifts will be open as normal in the summer but I don't think it's been announced. I can't see it's an issue, they can open more lifts. Some places are already planning on different opening patterns anyway.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I did some digging ref COVID19; the websites are all pretty crap when it comes to details. Especially the key question around limiting numbers of riders etc. The capacity comment refers to skiers so maybe its the same, who knows.

This is the only info I could find, its for winter 2020:

New procedures were put into place across the Portes du Soleil this summer to ensure safety.

The lift companies implemented all health and safety measures specified by the government.

The national operating body for ski areas will announce national guidelines later this autumn, but it is expected there will be similar measures for winter.

Currently the Portes du Soleil lift operators are not planning to reduce numbers on the lifts and will keep 100% of capacity this winter.

Current planned safety measures on the Morzine-Les Gets ski area are as follows:

• Wearing a mask is compulsory in the waiting areas, at boarding and on the ski lifts.
  • No limitation on the number of visitors to the ski area has been set to date.
  • People are encouraged to buy online to beat the queues and avoid contact with people.
  • Observe social distancing when queuing (ground markings will be in place).
  • Hand sanitizer will be available at checkouts and at the entrance to ski lifts.

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
I did some digging ref COVID19; the websites are all pretty crap when it comes to details. Especially the key question around limiting numbers of riders etc. The capacity comment refers to skiers so maybe its the same, who knows.

This is the only info I could find, its for winter 2020:

They didn't open so I guess events overtook them there :)

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
Really what they were planning or not for the winter is a bit irrelevant. They were planning to open but that decision was taken away from them. They might have planned to run at normal capacity, that was absolutely not going to happen without a shadow of doubt.

As it stands the expectation is that it will be fairly normal this summer. Restaurant terraces will re-open for the summer, end of May in Switzerland. The effectiveness of that measure was mixed anyway, sometimes it was clearly required, other times it was pretty dumb.

The first photo is misleading in that the lift hasn't run this century anyway, so everyone was walking up anyway. The second one, the lift hasn't run for three years.

IMG_4462.jpg
DSCN0132.jpg

P1040891.jpg

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I know that post above is just about the PDS race/tour, but it mentions 'ePassPortes epowered by Bosch'.
Do you know if you need a different lift pass if you are taking an ebike up the mountains, or is it just the same as a normal lift pass?

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
I can’t recall anywhere that charges different for an ebike. I don’t think the passportes event does either.

Generally, price strategies for lifts are altering at least for annuals or seasonal and I’m not sure that the PdS passes look great value to me. The nearby MagicPass is better value I’d say, 40 stations in the winter with a lot open in the summer for 399.- CHF a year.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
I know that post above is just about the PDS race/tour, but it mentions 'ePassPortes epowered by Bosch'.
Do you know if you need a different lift pass if you are taking an ebike up the mountains, or is it just the same as a normal lift pass?
You've got an EBike, ride it up the bloody mountain.?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles