Mondraker Crafty R & Chaser 29, Same bike?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
just been studying these 2. I have asked 2 bike shops about them now, none of them seem to know

they seem to be so similar, is the chaser 29 just a lower specced crafty R?
surely if that was the case they would just call it the Crafty (with no R)

Geo is identical, except the chaser has a lower BB height by 14mm
Crafty has fox 38 & DPX 2 vs the chasers rockshox 35 silver & deluxe
crafty gets DT Swiss wheels, chaser has some mondraker in house wheels
Crafty has a kiox display over the purion on the chaser
crafty has slightly different finishing kit, tyres.... (nothing major)
Crafty R is £5900 and the Chaser 29 is £5000

those changes seem so minor, other brands would just call it the same bike but a different build. or am I missing something...?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020
UK
I don't think I could answer your question in a meaningful way, but I did just order a Crafty R, the way I saw it was just a component difference from Trail/All Mountain - Chaser / Dusk to the Level being Super Enduro / Downhill, the Crafty sat in the middle with Fox 38 Fork for extra beef but not at 180 travel, so it should be a good all rounder .....

I'll certainly find out as I've taken the leap on the crafty purchase ... I feel like I'm buying into the lower end of a premium brand with a Crafty R, as for that amount of money there is a lot of choice out there, but from Trails to big mountains it should be able to do it all

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Have you already ridden your Crafty? I'm considering Crafty R 2021 or Level R 2020 which I can get at a decent price. What's your thoughts about the bike? Can you feel the lower end of premium class as you wrote?

Oct 3, 2020
UK
Have you already ridden your Crafty? I'm considering Crafty R 2021 or Level R 2020 which I can get at a decent price. What's your thoughts about the bike? Can you feel the lower end of premium class as you wrote?

I've done about 100KM's so far at various trail centres, no weird creeks or issues so far, it's been a perfect ride every time. I hose the bike down after each ride and grease the chain, no issues with the Bosh system either, the EMTB mode is so good.

This is the most I've ever spent on a bike and I've never ridden a high end bike, so I couldn't tell you that the model with the X01 drivetrain would be better then the NX/GX on the crafty R, I can tell you I love it tho, it does feel premium to bikes I've previously owned, but they were relatively middle of the road as well, the SRAM seems better then the deore I was riding on my Radon Swoop 170 (2017) , couldn't say that the Code Brakes VS the MT5's have a noticeable difference.

I can share my thought process on why I purchased it, which is probably flawed in many ways, the Length of the chainstay and all-around the length of the bike interested me, as getting up hills on an enduro with a short backend was annoying, I was looking at the Decoy Shred, but being truthful to myself, I don't shred, I just monster truck, this bike is just that. I was also looking at a Trek Rail, which is worth considering, the only reason really that put me off was having to change the tires straight up, fickle I know. The only thing that is stupid on the bike was the KIOX holder, I managed to snap it by man handling the bike into the back of my wagon, I've since bought another one for the bars, but also one that screws into the headset which is probably the better choice. The geometry, frame and suspensions are superb and I think that's what your buying into.

As a non skilled MTB'er that rides Red and the occasioning blacks at trail centres, quite ungracefully, I'm loving the new Mondraker and I'm a complete convert to E-MTB

Oct 3, 2020
UK
I've ordered a Crafty few days ago as well :) Can't wait it arrives! Thanks again for helping in the decision.

Awesome!, I hope you love it as much as I do, with all this Tier 4 and Lockdown nonsense in the UK, I've not been able to ride mine as much as I would like.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles