MONDRAKER CRAFTY R LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.

Secret Agent

Aug 31, 2022
Just solid. Fluid. confidence inspiring.

IMG_7849 3.jpeg

Kevin Tagle

Aug 14, 2022
San Diego, California
Just picked mine up last month. Had never heard of Mondraker but got to take the Crafty RR on some local trails and knew this bike was for me. This bike is big, long and tall with the 29rs. Once you get over that and can put you weigh on the front bars going down the technical trails it is smooth and solid.

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
I like the look of the Mondy but have always had the impression that they are either very heavy or very expensive.
Can anyone educate me otherwise.
Prices are online for easy comparison (in the UK at least) and weight is about 25Kgs for the alloy frame less for the carbon versions. with variances dependant on spec chosen. My alloy framed crafty RR didnt feel any more or less expensive than similar models from other major brands.

Secret Agent

Aug 31, 2022
I like the look of the Mondy but have always had the impression that they are either very heavy or very expensive.
Can anyone educate me otherwise.
Even Mondarakers entry level crafty r is very well specced and no more expensive than equally specced bikes. These are all expensive bikes in general. No heavier either. Actually the carbon crafty is the lightest full powered emtb on the market at this time.

Ambodave

Nov 6, 2022
Uk
Hello newbie here, yes to upgrades on brakes from g2. Went for xt 4 pots. Sram feel weird. Bikeshop fitted as seems hard to get cables thru with non removable battery. Also changed to shimano transmission so needed outer cable changed as narrower internal size. Amazing bike only 150 miles in, changed from rail 7.

Secret Agent

Aug 31, 2022
Has anyone attempted to upgrade the brakes on one of these? Not a fan of the G2's.
I agree 100% that the brakes are the weak point of this otherwise great bike. My first upgrade will be the brakes. My local shop recommends Magura 7 as the way to go.

Ambodave

Nov 6, 2022
Uk
Mine was a personal same as other bikes reason, also came with organic pads so would mean purchasing 2 pairs at least. May as well buy something you want. And felt had to think to brake with sram which is not right.

Zippidy

Jul 13, 2022
I'm trying to get every bike I own on 1 Brand and TRP DHR-EVO's are hard to beat. That said, the brake cable seems to be locked down somewhere in the bike and I'm not a fan of dropping the motor and battery just to run the lines. Searching the web for anyone who's accomplished this on the Crafty already; not finding anything though.

Ambodave

Nov 6, 2022
Uk
Trp are good I hear. Just got 3 with shimano so sticking. Bike shop said did not drop motor to do brakes and gear cable. Just motor cover and you can get to cables, is a pinch point at bottom tho. I paid as lack the skill😒

Zippidy

Jul 13, 2022
Trp are good I hear. Just got 3 with shimano so sticking. Bike shop said did not drop motor to do brakes and gear cable. Just motor cover and you can get to cables, is a pinch point at bottom tho. I paid as lack the skill😒
Thanks for the update. If that's the case then "should" be easy'ish.

Last edited:

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Has anyone attempted to upgrade the brakes on one of these? Not a fan of the G2's.
If social media is any indication , 99% of Crafty buyers have replaced the brakes because SRAM BAD !!!1
I have had no problems with mine . Maybe I should put on weight , ride the brakes harder and do dumb stuff like contaminating the pads and rotors with god knows what when cleaning my bike ?

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
I'm trying to get every bike I own on 1 Brand and TRP DHR-EVO's are hard to beat. That said, the brake cable seems to be locked down somewhere in the bike and I'm not a fan of dropping the motor and battery just to run the lines. Searching the web for anyone who's accomplished this on the Crafty already; not finding anything though.
Couple of options to make things easier, re-use the existing rear hose, just flush it through with some isopropyl via a syringe and blow it through to dry.
Secondly use one of these: RockShox Barb Connector - Reverb Stealth | Tredz Bikes
I’ve used mine all the time with internal hoses. I sometimes put a little electrical tape over to help keep the hoses together and make sure you push the new hose as much as you pull on the old one.

Zippidy

Jul 13, 2022
Couple of options to make things easier, re-use the existing rear hose, just flush it through with some isopropyl via a syringe and blow it through to dry.
Secondly use one of these: RockShox Barb Connector - Reverb Stealth | Tredz Bikes
I’ve used mine all the time with internal hoses. I sometimes put a little electrical tape over to help keep the hoses together and make sure you push the new hose as much as you pull on the old one.
Have the barb connector, used plenty in the past but TRP lines are smaller. There's still a modified way with string to make it work. Was trying to find out where the brake line was locked down at, it doesn't have any play. If the motor guard is the cause, should be easy.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Have the barb connector, used plenty in the past but TRP lines are smaller. There's still a modified way with string to make it work. Was trying to find out where the brake line was locked down at, it doesn't have any play. If the motor guard is the cause, should be easy.
Sorry I can’t help you with that, I have the previous model with removable battery, smaller battery but helps in these situations. Best of luck

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Because the wiring runs below the motor and over one of the fins, a well placed impact could damage if not sever the wires completely. I thought about ordering an Andreani skid/bash plate but not only would it cost a fortune but the mounts that it uses for the existing plastic guard at the rear are very thin and use only small bolts. Adequate for the plastic guard but that doesn’t help my wiring concerns which are not helped by the extra wiring from the Volspeed unit. Decided to try and make my own plate incorporating a mount that attaches to the motor mounts. First attempt seems ok but not happy how low it sits at the back. Might cut it back a bit as the rear will fill up with crap from the rear tyre. Also need to get hold of some quality countersunk bolts the right size. Should have just enough plate left over for mk2.

8085929F-73A7-48D9-8D36-6AFA3A501A87.jpeg 03ABE8A9-FB28-43C3-82D9-5C59018E593F.jpeg 2D490303-7E33-4DF4-B7F7-962D27CD3CA0.jpeg 9A8CE2B6-C645-46C6-86F3-57BD27D6F12A.jpeg 5BC5F283-9D33-4A93-AE5C-5B410FD0B962.jpeg A1A911CE-34B1-423C-9D0A-0A808E5DBA65.jpeg C08FA1D3-BE2C-4B4F-B33E-B4309E647690.jpeg 0D20631F-D021-4C4A-A15B-8D639F5FA44B.jpeg

Last edited:

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Were you able to get a pic of where the brake line runs?
So on my 2021 with removable battery it runs inside the frame at the top and then through a thin plastic sleeve/tube that’s fixed inside the frame to keep the cables tidy and help battery removal/install as well as stop them rattling I suppose. Then it runs quite loosely behind the lower battery clamp, up to the upper left side of the motor then exits the motor cover and into the chainstay via another thin plastic sleeve tube that holds it together with the speed sensor. Might be different on yours but taking the screws off the left motor cover and rotating it out of the way might help to see where it snags on yours. I’m installing some mt7 brakes in a couple of days, rotating that left cover out of the way will be necessary on mine.

1AC39737-4352-4DAC-B078-C4377FDD5C29.jpeg B3236C82-BEE3-4DD3-9453-354AE1DF708D.jpeg 98D8B731-76B5-47C7-8F97-EF39568B6D67.jpeg AFDDB511-D70E-412C-ACA6-D7C0DA7D97AB.jpeg A076ACC3-B33C-4E4B-AE61-80548B0D1CB9.jpeg

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I replaced the brake hose on my 2021 level, same setup as the photo's above. I ended up removing the sleeve's that runs down the downtube, and cut off the sleeve from the motor cover to the chainstay, you can't feed the hose through this.
Hoses/cables are now just held in with gorilla tape.

I managed to do this without dropping the motor and using the reverb small barbed fitting to pull the hose through. I did remove the lower battery mount to make access a bit easier.

Last edited:

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Just finished installing my mt7 brakes. Where the hose has a fitting moulded onto it at the calliper end the same as the codes that I was removing, I couldn’t use the sram barbed fitting. Had to pull the old one out towards the calliper and reverse for the new one. Was a bit of a faff but this way I was able to feed it through all the sleeves. I had a bellend moment where I got it all the way to the lever then realised I forgot to thread the rubber chainstay grommet on first. Pulled it all back out only to then realise the grommet is split to allow installation after the hose is installed 🤦‍♂️

Zippidy

Jul 13, 2022
So on my 2021 with removable battery it runs inside the frame at the top and then through a thin plastic sleeve/tube that’s fixed inside the frame to keep the cables tidy and help battery removal/install as well as stop them rattling I suppose. Then it runs quite loosely behind the lower battery clamp, up to the upper left side of the motor then exits the motor cover and into the chainstay via another thin plastic sleeve tube that holds it together with the speed sensor. Might be different on yours but taking the screws off the left motor cover and rotating it out of the way might help to see where it snags on yours. I’m installing some mt7 brakes in a couple of days, rotating that left cover out of the way will be necessary on mine.

View attachment 101633 View attachment 101634 View attachment 101635 View attachment 101636 View attachment 101650
Thanks for the details; will pull the cover. The cable is clamped down somewhere and that might be the only hassle.

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Thanks for the details; will pull the cover. The cable is clamped down somewhere and that might be the only hassle.
That sleeve from the motor cover to the chainstay was the only ‘snag’ on mine. The rest was pretty free for movement.

Decolocsta

Aug 10, 2022
Germany

No, there is nothing clamped.
Just Shrinking Tube over the Brake Cable and Speed Sensor cable.

Cut it open and the Cable is free to move.

image.jpg

Spangoolies

Nov 5, 2022
UK
Can anyone recommend a motor guard for a 2022 crafty carbon?
There only seems to be one available for the crafty, an Andreani guard and it doesn’t come cheap. Hence I’m in the process of making my own. Also not sure it fits the newer bikes as they have a bump on the stock plastic guard the the previous model doesn’t have

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles