Mods that you should and shouldn't do on your bike!

sauravgartaula

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

I want to start a discussion on modifications that we can do to our bikes, which should or shouldn't be done.
What kind of mods are good and what kind of mods are not?

- Saurav G.

E

EddieJ

My worst modification was making the mudguard and sticker shown below to go onto the KTM Fogo.

Anyone know why? ;)

image.jpg

ChrisP

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
East Yorkshire
Without doubt, the best modification I have made to my Trek Powerfly FS9 was to alter the geometry......
Changing the air shaft in the Rockshox fork to 150mm, instead if the standard 120mm and fitting offset bushings to the shock, to lower the BB height a little. It has totally transformed the bike for me!
You could say that I should have gone for a more all mountain geometry bike in the first place, but when I first started out I didn't really know so much about MTB!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Without doubt, the best modification I have made to my Trek Powerfly FS9 was to alter the geometry......
Changing the air shaft in the Rockshox fork to 150mm, instead if the standard 120mm and fitting offset bushings to the shock, to lower the BB height a little. It has totally transformed the bike for me!
You could say that I should have gone for a more all mountain geometry bike in the first place, but when I first started out I didn't really know so much about MTB!
Think you have got the nail on the head, geometry is more important than ultimate travel. You just need to make sure the geometry suits you needs. A number of the early emtb’s Were designed with climbing in mind so steep head angles and short top tubes were the order of the day. Now bikes are finding their way into the hands of more gravity orientated riders they are starting to follow the mainstream mtb ethos of longer & slacker. The next big question is how slack do you really need...

Paladin

Feb 18, 2018
Bakersfield
Now that I'm on an e-bike and not counting grams anymore, I switched to coil suspension front and rear. Shock is a fox dhx2 coil and the fork is an ohlins rfx 36 coil. Finally have a mountain bike that has the quality plush feel of my dirt bike in the first inch or two of travel. Yes, it was expensive but I believe I can probably put these on any new bikes I upgrade to also. Who knows, maybe some ebikes will start coming with coil suspension front and rear stock. T
20180211_101752.jpg
20180211_101944.jpg
he ohlins fork is 160mm travel and the fox shock is designed for 150 mm travel.

JKG53

Apr 3, 2018
North Wales
I've noticed that most ebikes come with pretty poor wheels fitted as standard. I managed to destroy my Rodi Rims and cheap Shimano hubs after about 1200 miles, so I fitted some new wheels for under £300 from JRA (Just Riding Along) in York. The wheels have transformed the bike, the are very strong and the sealed bearing hubs roll much better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles