Mike's New Bike :) Reign E+ 3 2024

Regular_Michael

Jan 25, 2024
Australia
I was going to build out a CEF50 but then I got a serious case of "I couldn’t be f$#ked” and I ended up getting a great deal on a new Giant Reign E+ 3 2024.

This is my first eMTB and I love everything about it! I am after some advice from the greater community on two things though;

Grips – They seem thin for my hands – I wear XL size gloves. Are there thicker grips or bars I can swap in? Can anyone suggest some alternatives.

Motor Unlock – I’m not fussed about voiding warranty. Here in Australia, there are a few places that do a software unlock or a hardware unlock. I’m keen to get some advice on what other folks have done in this space.

This is a company that I’m considering using. Giant/Yamaha Speed Unlocks & Upgrades Archives

IMG_1134.jpeg

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Grips – They seem thin for my hands – I wear XL size gloves. Are there thicker grips or bars I can swap in? Can anyone suggest some alternatives.
I use PNW loam XL grips. If you have larger hands, once you get used to larger grips that's the first thing I notice when I get on another bike.

There's another brand of foam grips that are thicker. I've always wanted to try a pair but its been hard to stray from what I know works.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Don't know if they're available in Aus, but I use motorbike foam grips branded as Grip Puppy/Puppies, they fit over my standard grips and give a bit more damping as well.

PXL_20210611_110253122.jpg

Regular_Michael

Jan 25, 2024
Australia
OK, quick update on things. I ordered a VOLspeed dongle from Amazon and was about to start the config process but it was getting late so I decided to leave it for tomorrow.

I wanted to read more on the tuning process so I went to the VOLspeed site I discovered that there is an issue for users that have updated their Giant bike software in the last three weeks - where the installing the VOLspeed chip can cause fault codes on the bike and force you to have Gian fix it.

I contacted VOLspeed and they advised against installing the unit, they are in the process of investigating the root cause and will update their site blog on this.

Regular_Michael

Jan 25, 2024
Australia
Just got this in the mail, everything is super high quality. My bottom bracket tool arrives tomorrow and I should be up and running soon after, cant wait.......

IMG_1199.JPG

Regular_Michael

Jan 25, 2024
Australia
Installed and I've done 3 - 20km rides and all is wonderful. Feels like much better.

I didn't bother running any software updates on the bike and I've uninstalled the Giant app as I have no need for it.

It was a little tricky getting the hub screw out as you need a bottom bracket tool although the old magnet kinda gets in the way. Below is a picture of what it looks like once installed.

1IMG_1205.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles