Michelin E-Wild separated bead

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
Has anyone else had better luck with these tires? I’ve been running the 27.5x2.6 on the rear and I’ve had two of them fail after only a few rides. The first I got a warranty replacement, and the second tore today on the third ride, just like the first. I have a new 2.8 on the shelf too, and they are making 29” now too so I was going to buy the front but am now hesitant.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
If I had to guess you are running low pressure and asking for harsh acceleration/deceleration . I don’t think the tyres are designed for that type of load. It seems the bead is holding exceptionally well and you are trying to rotate the tyre beyond it’s designed limits.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
It's marketed an ebike tire. meaning - it's expected to be able to handle harsh accelerations, and ditto braking (including stopping the extra ebike weight). If that should exceed "designed" limits, then surely the design must be wrong...

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Just because something breaks it doesn’t mean it is designed incorrectly. User error is always an option, where you running below the minimum recommended pressure for example. There’s a point at which we have to accept that we have just asked too much of it. I get your frustration but at least you have figured out that the tyre has limitations. Best of luck with the others that you need to try and I for one will be interested in your findings.

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
I’m running 32psi in the rear, and the last two rides were on very moderate trails. Blue and easy black. No jumps, mostly just an easy dirt trail, some rocky sections, rock slabs and a high speed gravel section. The first tire failed during bike park riding.

Last edited:

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
I’m running 32psi in the rear, and the last two rides were on very moderate trails. Blue and easy black. No jumps, mostly just an easy dirt trail, some rocky sections, rock slabs and a high speed gravel section. The first tire failed during bike park riding doing mostly flow jump trails and some light/moderate tech.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am running the Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4 MagiX front, Gum X rear on 29 on my Levo.........fantastic tyres. nb not the E Wild..........and not 2.6 which in test reviews when it first came out said it was too vague........(.a criterea I find with 2.6 in general ).

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
I am running the Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4 MagiX front, Gum X rear on 29 on my Levo.........fantastic tyres. nb not the E Wild..........and not 2.6 which in test reviews when it first came out said it was too vague........(.a criterea I find with 2.6 in general ).

i have the 2.4 Wild Enduro on the front too, and a set of 2.4 DH34’s on my downhill bike, they’ve all been fantastic. Michelin makes great tires, I’m hoping they just had a bad batch of the E-Wild and this won’t be an ongoing issue as I like the tire a lot, otherwise. If the Decoy didn’t have a 35mm ID rear rim and already low bottom bracket I’d just put a 2.4 DH22 on the back.

Josey Wales

Nov 29, 2020
UK
I'm running Eddy Current Schwalbe's.
Fantastic tyres. 27.5 x 2.8 34 psi
I'm 220lbs and give them plenty of stick in the berms. Very predictable.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
i have the 2.4 Wild Enduro on the front too, and a set of 2.4 DH34’s on my downhill bike, they’ve all been fantastic. Michelin makes great tires, I’m hoping they just had a bad batch of the E-Wild and this won’t be an ongoing issue as I like the tire a lot, otherwise. If the Decoy didn’t have a 35mm ID rear rim and already low bottom bracket I’d just put a 2.4 DH22 on the back.
Yup. Hopefully this is a batch issue. I had no problems with mine and have another set here waiting to go on. Have also been running the DH22's which have been outstanding - on 38mm rims.

Darryl

Jan 31, 2019
Tonbridge, Kent
I’ve had the same problem with the 27.5 x 2.8 rear tyre. Ended up with me having to push the bike for 4 miles in a dark forest, with no lights.

31DDDEAF-62A7-4E86-B157-E7378ED59803.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My first DH22 rim ding .. up until now they've done an admirable job, no matter how bad the rider !! It was one of those you felt ... and knew ...

dh22.jpg

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I wore mine out so the bead didnt seperate. Im currently recycling the least worn one on the rear of my decoy(2.6).The beads did flex and seap sealant out under them though. Not a bad tire but i dont find them great. I much prefer my dh34's. I have those in "bike park" casing on my non E enduro bike. Been running the dh casing dh34 on the front of the decoy without a tire liner and a wild rockr2 w air liner on the back. I really like the dh casing dh34. I think it has a wire bead. No squirm. No sealant seapage. Great tire for the eeb. Fork set to 180 on the decoy and i run the frame in the low setting no problem.
I have a schwalbe big betty 2.4 super dh casing to try now. Im sold on dh casing for the eeb now but if the schwalbe experiment doesnt work ill try a 2.4 dh22 dh casing tore out back next. Ewild is an enduro casing with kevlar/nylon bead like the wild enduro, rockr2, bike park casings. Noticeable improvement stuffing the dh casing/bead into a corner

steve_acp

Aug 14, 2019
Clun
running e wild 27.5 2.8 on front and rear. had been fantastic. Yesterday felt wheel wobble from rear. bead is separating from tyre as described by others. I'm 59 and don't jump, running low 20's pressure.

Only done 100 miles.

very disappointed. no stock anywhere to get a replacement.

There is a definite trend for this happening. has anyone attempted ny kind of warranty claim?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I suspect a batch issue. I had a similar problem with some Continental Trail Kings. They both failed at the bead, on the same side of the tyre and at the same rotational placing with respect to the "Protection" logo, and at 700miles +/10mile. Both accepted as a warranty claim without a problem.
TK failure 2.jpg

mikecol

Mar 16, 2019
Treasure Island, FL USA
Just had my 2nd rear e-wild 27.5 x 2.6 separate at the bead. Both gave warning of sealant leaking slightly before full failure. Have 2 more, from another batch to try...but not happy. Got a Schwalbe Eddy Current 27.5 x 2.8 ordered if another e-wild bead goes. Went back to 2.8 hoping to reduce my pedal strikes a bit.

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Gotta be honest, I haven't encountered this issue on my Michelin E wild's but I will gladly say that I'm running my second pair of Michelin E Wild on my Levo (27.5x2.6 front and rear) and have just slapped a pair on my second Kenevo.
It is worth mentioning that I don't run the Roval wheelsets but I'll be sure to watch out for this tyre bead issue in the future ?

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
running e wild 27.5 2.8 on front and rear. had been fantastic. Yesterday felt wheel wobble from rear. bead is separating from tyre as described by others. I'm 59 and don't jump, running low 20's pressure.

Only done 100 miles.

very disappointed. no stock anywhere to get a replacement.

There is a definite trend for this happening. has anyone attempted ny kind of warranty claim?

Yes Michelin has replaced both of my failed 27x2.6 rears free of charge.

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
I'm 100 miles in on my current 29x2.6 EWilds with no issues yet, I'm running Bontrager rims with the rubber tubeless tyre rim strip so not sure if that would make a difference. Currently I run with 23psi in the rear and 20 in the front and its been quite a hard 100 miles for the tyres.

Definitely going to keep an eye on them now as it looks like a few of you have had the same issue

Darryl

Jan 31, 2019
Tonbridge, Kent
Somebody claiming to work for Michelin contacted me and admitted
It seems our tires is a bit sensitive to Roval Rims, I'm now in contact with Specialized to understand their rim design, trying to identify what's not compatible. Complexe topic

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am using the Michelin Wild Enduro 2.4 ( not the E Wilds). For me 2.6 is too vague for my type of riding. I run my tyres at 18f 20r in the forest, 22f 24r on stonier terrain. No problems and find they excel in everything other than dry hard pack/dusty but by the time the trails are that dry I change tyre to 2.3 Eliminators.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I asked my contact at Michelin EU who mentioned they are seeing a few failures of the 2.6 variety E-Wilds on certain rims with specific profiles. He couldn’t tell me anymore details but did say

1. Its limited to the E-Wilds.
2. Manufacturing are aware and are looking at a revision to the bead.

Doesn't explain the 2.8 failure above.

So I guess watch this space…

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles