Brittany, France
Likey likey ..

1684173670852.png

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
I like that!
Smaller battery should make things a bit more playful at the cost of range.
This would probably suit me as I'd want a second battery anyway.

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
MY son rides the normal meta sx, its a fast and capably bike, eats us the down hill runs.

do we have any weight figures as yet? as the normal bike is heavy, like 16-17 kg in the medium

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well, I'll just leave this here.
Presumably they looked at all the sizes and decided that to incorporate the 750wh would involve too many compromises on the design of the bike. The 750's almost 7cm's longer than the 625 and 800g more (at 4.3kg, it's more than the motor and battery of most lightweights and that's not including the 15kg Bosch battery lock). Think of the Rail, that got a fair bit longer so they could use the 750wh but not everyone liked it.

I think we all want "more" when we're looking. It's only natural. But a 625 in a Bosch motored bike can give you pretty impressive climbing and range at the same time. How many people flatten the 750wh ? Is that from huge climbs, big distance/long days or more use of Turbo ?

No bike will fit everyones ideals, there will always be compromises and each company makes different compromises.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Presumably they looked at all the sizes and decided that to incorporate the 750wh would involve too many compromises on the design of the bike. The 750's almost 7cm's longer than the 625 and 800g more (at 4.3kg, it's more than the motor and battery of most lightweights and that's not including the 15kg Bosch battery lock). Think of the Rail, that got a fair bit longer so they could use the 750wh but not everyone liked it.

I think we all want "more" when we're looking. It's only natural. But a 625 in a Bosch motored bike can give you pretty impressive climbing and range at the same time. How many people flatten the 750wh ? Is that from huge climbs, big distance/long days or more use of Turbo ?

No bike will fit everyones ideals, there will always be compromises and each company makes different compromises.

I agree with you, all bikes will have compromises and that a 625Wh battery is plenty for most rides.

However range anxiety is a thing and they will lose some customers to the competition offering larger batteries as this is rather important for a lot of riders.

This is not isolated to Commencal as there are plenty of manufacturers stuck on smaller batteries that were released 5 years ago.

Companies like Darfon and Panasonic are now rolling out massive 800Wh+ batteries that are the same size as old gen batteries so manufacturers can easily spec them without busting the budget in R&D.

I remember Giant releasing some of their 2022 eMTBs on 625Wh batteries knowing that Panasonic was about to come with a new 800Wh that was the same dimension...they started to spec 800Wh in the exact same bikes with no modifications for 2023 model year and riders still have the option to buy a 625 or 500 battery to save weight as it's compatible.

LordExplorer

Aug 20, 2019
Denver

This is only review I’ve seen so far. I’m interested in the SX as well. Would love to see a lot more reviews too

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles