Merida E160 900E Battery / motor problem ?

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Last night my Merida E160 900E turned off the Shimano motor during my ride, and after numerous attempts it would not turn on again. I thought the battery had died, as it was very cold. When I put the 8010 battery on my charger it was indicating 3 bars left. I charged it fully, and turned it on and it indicated fully charged, but turned itself off again after about 20 seconds. I don't know if it is normal behavior to turn off after 20 seconds when the battery is not connected to the bike ? I then put the battery back on the bike, and it wont turn on at all. Has anyone any idea what could be wrong please ?

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Contacted Shimano NZ and they said to take it to a bike shop to get it checked out. Bike shop said battery needs to be sent to Shimano, as its faulty. Should get a new battery under warranty, as its not 2 years old yet.

MrEscape

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Glad you got it sorted.
last thing you need on a ride is it packing up, the motor isn't as freeflowing as you need when not powered

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Issue still not sorted ! New battery did not resolve the issue. New battery carrier piece sent to Bike shop from Shimano, which has been fitted, but now bike shop says the bike has a DI 2 deralier fault, and is not sure if Shimano will warranty the deralier. Will cost $600 for deralier, if Shimano doesn't warranty it.
Got no choice, as its useless without it.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Issue still not sorted ! New battery did not resolve the issue. New battery carrier piece sent to Bike shop from Shimano, which has been fitted, but now bike shop says the bike has a DI 2 deralier fault, and is not sure if Shimano will warranty the deralier. Will cost $600 for deralier, if Shimano doesn't warranty it.
Got no choice, as its useless without it.
The derailleur was the cause of my motor cutting out for a few seconds several times on every ride on my 900e .
Took months to prove the cause of the fault with trial and error. Battery terminals, cables, motor, battery etc.
The guys at the bike shop and Shimano were very good. New motor then derailleur. Always changed gears perfectly.
A weird frustrating fault.
I think I will get rid of the Di2 eventually.
Good luck.

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Just got my bike back with new derailleur and Shimano warrantied it. Unfortunately am now getting WO11 errors ( Speed not detected ) several times per ride, and have to turn off battery and turn on again to get assistance back. I have a Badass box 4 on the rear to defeat the speed limit, and noticed that the speed is not frozen at 22 Km/hr as it was previous to the the new derailleur fitting. Either the bad ass box is not working as it did before, or something else is wrong. I think the mechanic may have updated my software while it was in the shop. not been able to ask him as he is on holiday. Anyone know if it could be new software causing this, or something else ? If badass box has gone bad, any suggestions as to the best alternative speed defeat system out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Just got my bike back with new derailleur and Shimano warrantied it. Unfortunately am now getting WO11 errors ( Speed not detected ) several times per ride, and have to turn off battery and turn on again to get assistance back. I have a Badass box 4 on the rear to defeat the speed limit, and noticed that the speed is not frozen at 22 Km/hr as it was previous to the the new derailleur fitting. Either the bad ass box is not working as it did before, or something else is wrong. I think the mechanic may have updated my software while it was in the shop. not been able to ask him as he is on holiday. Anyone know if it could be new software causing this, or something else ? If badass box has gone bad, any suggestions as to the best alternative speed defeat system out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg ?
There is a recent shimano update; the etube app makes it looks as though you have no option but to update (I tell it to bugger off). I imagine the mechanic would have updated it. Badass is showing compatible up to 4.7.1 - I think the recent update is 4.8.

Troubleshoot the badass first (change battery, check position, check the pickup etc). You can check that the pickup is working by just passing a magnet back and forth over it - it should register a speed.

If not the pickup, I'd remove badass, email the company. Or you could try to roll back to ver 4.7.1 - consensus on the latest update is that it is for compatibility with new batteries on the market.

Lastly, others here will chime in I'm sure, is the STUnlocker app, which will give you 32kmph and correct km / speed reading etc. Faster than that if you're not concerned with accurate odo, dst, speed recording / reading. I use my odo for maintenance intervals etc.

JChristo

Apr 29, 2019
Australia
I had an issue with my 2018 E160 motor cutting out whenever I went off a small drop. After much googling, cleaning the area where the wires enter the motor, etc; it turned out to be a loose connection with the battery. Some gaffer tape sorted it.

Also got the W011 errors and blamed Stunlocker but turned out to be a loose spoke holding the rear magnet lol.

Nomentions

Jan 1, 2021
Australia
I had an issue with my 2018 E160 motor cutting out whenever I went off a small drop. After much googling, cleaning the area where the wires enter the motor, etc; it turned out to be a loose connection with the battery. Some gaffer tape sorted it.

Also got the W011 errors and blamed Stunlocker but turned out to be a loose spoke holding the rear magnet lol.

Wonder if your gaffer tape fix lasted and where di you put it? Exactly the same thing is happening to my Merida 2018 E160 900: Shimano E8000 and display cutting out whenever I go off a small drop or landed a small jump. No code errors, nothing obvious in terms of wiring. I note there was a similar issue with 2017 Merida eOne-Twenty 500 kept shutting down when going downhill on trails. Hence fix of upper clamp to battery here:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles