Merida E160 900 E dropper post height

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Just picked up my new Merida E160 900E in size medium, and will have to take it back to the shop, the lowest seat height is too high for me. Will I need a different dropper post, or can they shorten it to get it lower in the seat post ?

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
A dropper post can't be shortened, so you'll have to replace it.
You'll probably end up with a little less drop (4" instead of 5"?)

Just curious, but what's your height?
I tested a medium and I'm 1.70m but had no problem with the seat height. After thinking about it for a day or so I bought a small E-Onesixty which suits me perfect (I don't like a very long bike).

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
The bend in the seat tube will prevent you from slamming a dropper. I removed that garbage Reverb before my first ride and replaced it with a Bikeyoke. You need to modify the actuator to insert the bikeyoke to the bend... But I have also tried a OneUp dropper. They can be inserted the most from my experience (1-2cm from the collar) but I didn't keep mine for long because I missed my Revive.

Short answer is no, you can't shorten a dropper and you won't be able to slam a post to its collar unless you find a post with a shorter housing (OneUp 150mm for example is the closest I've tried).

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
All Merida eOne-Sixtys size M and up have got a 125mm dropper. Except the 900E, it's got a 150mm. Swapping it for a 125mm dropper will most likely solve the issue, that will be cheaper than getting one with adjustable max travel.

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Hi recycle, my height is 168 cm, probably got quite short legs though, so seat was too high, but reach was good.

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
It seems I have the saddle height quite high for my length, so I don't have the problem with a dropper post that's too high.

My Merida has a post with 120mm drop but I'd like a little more so I'm looking at possible replacements (no hurry though). I have a BikeYoke 160mm on my other bike but I don't know if it would fit lengthwise.
I'll have to take the original post out and measure the maximum insertion first before I know which post with more drop would fit.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
or try shorter cranks - I always use 30" from the Centre BB to the top of the saddle - which oddly enough is my inside leg measurement - this way I know what bikes will fit me in advance

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles