hi from brisbane australia , soon to own a merida 160/900 e bike , any thoughts on the merida brand ??

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
IMG_0054 (1).JPG
IMG_0067 (1).JPG

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I've had my 900 (non e) for a couple of months. I love this bike and I still get a huge grin every ride. It's a lot of bike for the money. I don't look at more expensive bikes and wish I had one of those. I can't see how they'd be any more fun than my 900.

I'm going to try thinner tyres. The huge 2.8 on the front is super plush bush sometimes I feel like it "floats" a bit. I've got a 2.6 and a 2.4 on order to try out. Probably keep the 2.8 on the back for our dry and sandy trails. If you keep the 2.8's run the pressures lower (I have 17 up front) and tubeless for more grip.

The e8000 controller/Merida dropper lever is a bit awkward. I have an e6100 controller coming to try but I think I have it sorted with the factory gear by having the dropper lever closest to the grips and I can access all three controls pretty easily with my thumb.

Other than those two things I have zero complaints. I shortened my bars to my preferred width and converted to tubeless. 25% sag on the front and 30% on the back and it's an epic ride.

Gordon

Kiwi73

Dec 15, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Hi, I'm in Brisbane as well in Wamuran. I took a Thor Mig-R for a test ride yesterday and loved it. Will be taking a Merida 160 900E for a test ride in the next few days hopefully.
The Merida is certainly the best value bike in Oz atm with quite simply the best components bar none. But..... I just don't like the old school look of it. Still gonna test ride it though. Can't judge a book by its cover etc. Also component level isn't that important to me since I mod my bikes extensively as parts wear out. How is rides is much more important to me and then how it looks :D
I have a friend with the 160 900e and he loves his, pretty sure you will too. Enjoy your new ride.
MIG-R

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I like the way the Merida rides and it’s fantastic bang for buck specs, but I much prefer the Brose motor on the Specialized.

I like the Landau, but much prefer the LX Torana Hatchback.

I like Brisbane, but much prefer living on the Sunshine Coast.

Welcome to the Forum

Kiwi73

Dec 15, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I like the way the Merida rides and it’s fantastic bang for buck specs, but I much prefer the Brose motor on the Specialized.

I like the Landau, but muck prefer the Lx Torrie Hatchback.

I like Brisbane, but much prefer living on the Sunshine Coast.

Welcome to the Forum
Where on the Sunshine Coast?

Kiwi73

Dec 15, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I've ridden SugarBag a few times on my Santa Cruz 5010 (just sold). But not since the new trails have been put in. So would love to ride up there as soon as I get a new e-bike.
Are you a member of BushRangers or CORCA?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I've ridden SugarBag a few times on my Santa Cruz 5010 (just sold). But not since the new trails have been put in. So would love to ride up there as soon as I get a new e-bike.
Are you a member of BushRangers or CORCA?
CORCA
The new trail Beez Kneez is pretty good.
There is also a new 36m log roll and double see saw in the playground.
The log roll is great in both directions on a ebike.

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
Caloundra
I’m happy to show you guys around my local trails. Sugarbag rd trails are only a small network but plenty different, and heaps of fun.
I heard they rebuild some of the trails , big banked walls ect will be intouch once the heat drops a bit , cant ride in this 34 deg c 99% humid conditions, will head to rotoura in jan to do a few rides

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I haven't come across anyone with an E-One sixty who isn't very happy with it. The Shimano system is well engineered, rides very nicely and lasts. Although the battery isn't fully integrated like others, there are some advantages in terms of ease of removal and possibly future availability being a standard form factor.

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
Hi, I'm in Brisbane as well in Wamuran. I took a Thor Mig-R for a test ride yesterday and loved it. Will be taking a Merida 160 900E for a test ride in the next few days hopefully.
The Merida is certainly the best value bike in Oz atm with quite simply the best components bar none. But..... I just don't like the old school look of it. Still gonna test ride it though. Can't judge a book by its cover etc. Also component level isn't that important to me since I mod my bikes extensively as parts wear out. How is rides is much more important to me and then how it looks :D
I have a friend with the 160 900e and he loves his, pretty sure you will too. Enjoy your new ride.
MIG-R[/QUOTE
I’m from North Brisbane also. Where are you able to get a test ride on the Merida 160 from? I had my first eMTB experience recently with a test ride on a Thok MiG and totally loved it! I’m definitely sold on the eMTB thing and will definitely be getting one in March.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I heard they rebuild some of the trails , big banked walls ect will be intouch once the heat drops a bit , cant ride in this 34 deg c 99% humid conditions, will head to rotoura in jan to do a few rides
I got someone coming up 27th December off the Brisbane eMtb FB page, I was going to show round. Meeting at the container in the car park at 7:30am if ya keen. @craig landau @Kiwi73
Wall ride ain’t bad once you get used to it

A778D2D1-E2AD-43DB-A38C-CCD3A9395205.jpeg

craig landau

Dec 19, 2018
brisbane australia
image1 (002).jpeg

just got the new bike (happy xmas to me ) , i settled for the 900 , i feel it will do for what i need it for, i have a set of 155 mm cranks on order and will see if we can do a group buy on the shifters from os . the brakes will get replaced with 4 pots , all i need now is the temp to drop a bit to go stir up some dust at gap creek

Kiwi73

Dec 15, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
View attachment 9023
just got the new bike (happy xmas to me ) , i settled for the 900 , i feel it will do for what i need it for, i have a set of 155 mm cranks on order and will see if we can do a group buy on the shifters from os . the brakes will get replaced with 4 pots , all i need now is the temp to drop a bit to go stir up some dust at gap creek

Congratulations on your awesome new ride.

Just got mine as well. Didn't wait for the temps to drop. Went out this morning at 6.30am.
Merry Xmas to us :D

DSCN0734 (3).JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles