Maxxis Assegai tires vs Stock Butchers

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
Wow, what a difference. Rolling speed through sand better than stock. Dry hard pack adhesion better and more predictable. Rocky terrain just as good control, stock Butchers would not deflect much and neither does the Assegai. Jump landings, much smoother than stock. On my 21 mile loop, 14 minutes quicker with the same effort. Now I hope the wear will be just as good or close. These Assegai tires are sick.
7C795420-28B7-4F39-A2FC-10900E1F36A2.jpeg
652590A8-3CCA-4FF1-B75E-7F288773D6B2.jpeg

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Wow, what a difference. Rolling speed through sand better than stock. Dry hard pack adhesion better and more predictable. Rocky terrain just as good control, stock Butchers would not deflect much and neither does the Assegai. Jump landings, much smoother than stock. On my 21 mile loop, 14 minutes quicker with the same effort. Now I hope the wear will be just as good or close. These Assegai tires are sick. View attachment 19861 View attachment 19862
I might buy one of these local today. Just the front for now to replace the stock Butcher on my '19 Comp. Looks like you're running the EXO but my shop only has the EXO+ which is slightly heavier (50 grams) and typically more $. Yes, I can buy just about any version online but I want it now. :) Gonna try to work them over on the price.

Interested to see how the rear holds up. What do you think so far? My plan was to replace the rear Butcher in the near future with an ebike specific, possibly the Schwalbe Eddy Current, but maybe go with the Assegai depending on durability.

RoedeOrm

Aug 25, 2019
Germany
I switched at the front to the Assegai with Exo and MaxxTerra. I agree, for me much better than the Butcher. More control on smooth terrain and also on gravel. I stay on the Butcher at rear as the tyre works good for me there.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I switched at the front to the Assegai with Exo and MaxxTerra. I agree, for me much better than the Butcher. More control on smooth terrain and also on gravel. I stay on the Butcher at rear as the tyre works good for me there.
Yeah, I might even consider putting the front butcher on the rear in the coming months then go with something better next spring.

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil
Wow, what a difference. Rolling speed through sand better than stock. Dry hard pack adhesion better and more predictable. Rocky terrain just as good control, stock Butchers would not deflect much and neither does the Assegai. Jump landings, much smoother than stock. On my 21 mile loop, 14 minutes quicker with the same effort. Now I hope the wear will be just as good or close. These Assegai tires are sick. View attachment 19861 View attachment 19862

Front and back Assegai? I need to try these tires but being 2.5, Did you measure the actual width? My DHF 2.5 were like 2.4 knob to knob.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have found pretty much anything better than the Butchers. Had them on 2 different bikes and never felt comfortable in the transition with them. The Assegai is a prety good tire on most SoCal trails I know.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi, I use assegai the new exo+ 60 tpi, in maxxgrip shore, 29x2.50, in the front and for me is one of the best tires used with the schwalbe magic mary and better than the classic dhf.

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
The stock Butchers on my 2020 Levo were terrible, ditched them after one ride

I now run 29X2.5 Doubledown, Maxxgrip Assegai's on the front and rear

Best tyres i have ever run on a e-mtb, loads of grip, one of the main things for me is no loss of grip when transitioning from the centre knobs to the outer ones, lean the bike right over and it just grips all the way

Rear tyre normally needs replacing after 700 miles, front lasts around 1100 miles

Being Maxxgrip and Doubledown they are heavier and draggier than most other tyres but being on a e-mtb and the amount of grip/support they give its worth it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles