Manual machine Day

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Manus l machines are a complete waste of time as they don't actually replicate what's required when manualling a moving bike in the slightest .
Go outside and learn to manual while moving.
Manuals are pretty much my favourite thing to do on a bike. Practice a lot. It's worth it.

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
Manus l machines are a complete waste of time as they don't actually replicate what's required when manualling a moving bike in the slightest .
Go outside and learn to manual while moving.
Manuals are pretty much my favourite thing to do on a bike. Practice a lot. It's worth it.
oh come on Princess :ROFLMAO: manual machines are great fun.
But yea, not sure how it will translate to trails. i can manual myself outta trouble and play a bit between rollers , though not keep the balance for more than a few meters.
Thought it would be a grand way to see body position with video more than anything and how close I could get ze butt to the wheel.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
not so long ago i spent 1,5 hours training wheelies and nothing else - before that i still was at the point of finding that damn balance point and not trying to hold the wheel up just by adding speed... that really helped a lot for manuals as well. Need to train that more often....

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just to clarify. I can manual well and have been able to for many many years. I tried a manual machine last year. It's nothing like manualling. But if you'd rather put your bike in a stand to bar hump your bike in the privacy of your own home go for it.

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
Just to clarify. I can manual well and have been able to for many many years. I tried a manual machine last year. It's nothing like manualling. But if you'd rather put your bike in a stand to bar hump your bike in the privacy of your own home go for it.
No need your to clarify mate. I can tell from your posts that your most likely a pretty advanced rider plus I find them informative and sometimes entertaining, your post on crashes was hilarious(y)
It's nothing like manualling. But if you'd rather put your bike in a stand to bar hump your bike in the privacy of your own home go for it.
Not sure if your taking the micky but I had a good laugh at this, makes me sound serious kinky:ROFLMAO: My riding mates will defiantly love that line.
I still believe the Manual Machine can be an aid for me, view my mistakes/body position on camera, feels fun, not the same leg pushing sensation as the real deal, and if nothing else makes me want to practice more than I already do on the trails.
On that note, did you find a manual much more difficult on your ebike than acoustic bike or is the weight a benefit once balance found, any tips ?

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
For me, the added weight and geometry of the Kenevo makes it more difficult than on my non-e Ghost enduro. And with the light hardtail it’s close to dangerous how easy i can lift that front up, i feel like doing a backflip everytime ^^

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
@Tmacca the weight is neither a hindrance or an advantage. Its just different. The preload required to reach the balance point is much much more. And the balance point is higher so it actually took a little while and a bit of intentional practice to get them dialed. But now I have them it's no problem switching from one bike to another.. No different from switching between say my BMX, hardtail or Enduro bike to DH.
I learned to manual brakeless and being self taught I never did the "L" shape maneuver mtb skills coaches all teach. I just move my weight diagonally down and back hanging off the bars straight to balance point. I found using the rear brake on my Ebike beneficial for the first time so had to learn this (harder than you might think for someone so used to not using a brake)
The biggest tip I can give you is practice on tarmac/concrete as the bike rolls so much more quickly and consistently. Find a quiet road/car park or whatever near where you live you can go to easily and practice every day. A slight downhill is nice but not essential. Flatland manuals are slower and harder to hold when learning but if you get them good you'll end up a better rider for it.
Even if you only have a few minutes a day just go out and practice. The beauty of manuals is that you really can pull them anywhere.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles