Man Down / Rib Injury / Tight Turn on Asphalt

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
During this COVID19 issue, ive been avoiding my local trail & just riding in my residential area (street only/analog mode)
Anyway, while making my tight U-turns on the asphalt road, the front end tucked on me & i went down hard on my left side (injuring my ribs)

Just curious why the front end tucked on me while making this rather hard U-turn? There seems a point when turning hard on asphalt, the handle bar will hook-in hard, tucking the front wheel & making life difficult for me the past 2 weeks (feeling much better now & back on my morning routine, except for the tight U-turns;))

Appreciate your insights / Cheers, Joe (2019 Giant E-Trance)

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Motor on? The bike can be pushed forward while the front wheel is perpendicular to your bike. The torque can overpower the grip of the tire, even sideway.

Edit: missed the analogue part

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Silly Q ; what’s analog mode ?
If that means with no motor on then it might be that there was more weight transferred to the front wheel so when you turned it tucked ! Or not ☺️

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Yeah, motor was off. Just seems theres a point when turning tight on asphalt the bar will hook hard

Note: I was not pedaling. Turning hard left w/right pedal at the 6 o'clock position

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Note: I was not pedaling. Turning hard left w/right pedal at the 6 o'clock position[/QUOTE]
Next time try 6:15 ?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Turning left and the bar 'hooked in hard', so you mean like a hard unintended left turn, then you hit the deck on the left/inside of the turn?

Sounds more like a loss of grip than too much grip. I have slid out on asphalt/tarmac plenty of times because it can get quite greasy. It sounds like maybe you briefly lost grip, slipped in to an over steer, then quickly re-acquired grip again but at a point where it's now pushing you further in to an over-steer. Maybe?

maynard

Sounds like a minor case of being a spastic. Me also suffer from this . I had my first stack since i was a kid riding with my dad by the lake . Didn't realise i was on wet tiles and was riding no hands doing up my jacket going too slow and went down hard like a bag of shit . It was a bit embarrassing cos my dad is a hard core roadie ( I'm in the process I've converting him to mtn bikes) but yeah i was lucky. It sucks u hurt yourself. Better luck next time .

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Basic laws of physics. Not sure which ones though. :confused:

Yep, this is most accurate answer IMO.

There was so much turn angle & lean in this U-turn that the front tire rotated on itself & spun the bar out of my hand. On asphalt, you can only lean so much w/a lot of turn angle before the front end gives up

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
If you leaned the bike too much and could not pull it back, its normal and will happen to any bike, more or less abruptly depending on the geometry of the frame. In the case of an ebike the added weight will make it worse.
With my bike, I need the power on in trail mode to be able to lean the spectral as much as a trek stache hardtail for example.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles