Levo Gen 2 Magura MDR-P Disc Brake Rotor - 220mm, 6-Bolt, For eBike

rockcypher

Jan 28, 2020
USA
Anyone fitted this to the rear of a Levo? I have a 2019 Expert and am burning the Sram discs up on long CO downhills. Any issues with clearance with the chain stays? Thanks

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Simple bolt on. No issues.

Magura.jpg

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
No problems on the 2019 base model with 200 on rear [220 front ].
MT5 caliper with Shimano XT levers is my choice +
MDR-P DISC

Magura discs are a little bit thicker than SRAM or Shimano .
fBLM3AE.jpg

rockcypher

Jan 28, 2020
USA
No problems on the 2019 base model with 200 on rear [220 front ].
MT5 caliper with Shimano XT levers is my choice +
MDR-P DISC

Magura discs are a little bit thicker than SRAM or Shimano .
fBLM3AE.jpg
Thanks, but asking specifically about 220’s on the rear.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I'm going MDR-P' 220's front and rear on my 2020 Levo - reading a few of the threads I think we need a QM45 adapeter on the rear.

www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/magura-qm-45-brake-disc-adapter-906403
Yes this is right adapter for front and rear. But personally 220mm is total overkill on the rear wheel (I even considering to go from 200mm to 180mm on rear), also you might get a rotor rub against swing arm as even with 200mm rotor clearance is very small...

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Yes this is right adapter for front and rear. But personally 220mm is total overkill on the rear wheel (I even considering to go from 200mm to 180mm on rear), also you might get a rotor rub against swing arm as even with 200mm rotor clearance is very small...
I think it depends on where you ride and how you want your bike to feel.

Is this the rub you are speaking of (sorry about the blur!):

220clearance.jpg

Plenty of clearance.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
FWIW: I had the same problem with the SRAM rotors as well as the Shimano SM-RT66. I had a much better experience with a SM-RT86 rotor on the rear. I've since switched to Centerlock hubs and RT-MT900 rotors. I only have about 120 miles on this setup but it seems to be working really well.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Thanks, but asking specifically about 220’s on the rear.

You might need to recalibrate your braking technique after the upgrade.
I found the extra power of the Magura on the front meant I had less weight on the rear . I had to learn to feather the lever more , so as not to lock the back end up all the time on descents .

Doing similar again now with the ShiGura . Softly , softly .

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I don't know if it is much of an issue; do you check that your forks are spec'd to run rotors that big (re torque)?

Zerograv80

Dec 16, 2018
Bristol, UK
Hi, any issues attaching the speed sensor magnet to a MDR-P rotor?
Expecting my levo to arrive in the next few days and wanting to know if I need any additional parts to swap the magnet over from a Sram rotor to the Magura. Cheers ??

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Hi, any issues attaching the speed sensor magnet to a MDR-P rotor?
Expecting my levo to arrive in the next few days and wanting to know if I need any additional parts to swap the magnet over from a Sram rotor to the Magura. Cheers ??

No probs it has facility to attach the magnet .
You are in luck one of mine is sitting next to me off the bike . Uses the rotor bolts .

20201208_094134.jpg

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Was browsing this site and saw
MAGURA Sensor magnet for Brake Disc

Original Magura sensor magnet for use on your brake disc. The magnet is compatible with Storm HC rotors in 180 mm diameter as well as MDR-C and MDR-P disks in all offered diameters.

Zerograv80

Dec 16, 2018
Bristol, UK
Good find! If that hole is in the correct location for the levo sl magnet, then that would be a very neat solution rather than the OEM mount off two bolts.

F4B7D651-F604-4F6C-BA22-AE01B7BBB92B.jpeg

TrackRat

May 26, 2020
SchnellerGT981
That hole is offset a bit from the factory Levo location which is much closer to being in line with the disc mounting bolts. Guessing the sensor on the frame may miss the magnet if mounted here (but just speculating)

Mojo_n_SB

Apr 16, 2020
Santa Barbara
2020, Turbo Levo - Just bought a Magura 220mm rotor for rear. Magura told me the QM46 was what I needed so I purchased it. My bike has the Guide RE. Not a lot of data on this from what I found for converting.... That being said, I used the extra washers that came with the adapter. I had to ADD the QM 46 to my existing adapter. Without this, the O.D. of the rotor was to large and would hit. Im not saying this is correct, but its what i did to get this braking system functional again. It looks a little odd with 2 adapters. Would be nice to have 1 adapter for the job. Also, went with SRAM metallic brakes and.................noticed absolutely zero improvement in braking ( yes I broke them in correctly). I'm sure I will see the improvement on longer descents with heat buildup and all.
Thx all

thegorilla

Oct 22, 2021
Seattle
2020, Turbo Levo - Just bought a Magura 220mm rotor for rear. Magura told me the QM46 was what I needed so I purchased it. My bike has the Guide RE. Not a lot of data on this from what I found for converting.... That being said, I used the extra washers that came with the adapter. I had to ADD the QM 46 to my existing adapter. Without this, the O.D. of the rotor was to large and would hit. Im not saying this is correct, but its what i did to get this braking system functional again. It looks a little odd with 2 adapters. Would be nice to have 1 adapter for the job. Also, went with SRAM metallic brakes and.................noticed absolutely zero improvement in braking ( yes I broke them in correctly). I'm sure I will see the improvement on longer descents with heat buildup and all.
Thx all

I have a 2019 Turbo Levo FSR. The base mounts (with no adapter) are 180mm. That's all that matters for choosing what the correct adapter you need. You can use this chart: Redirect Notice (from here : MAGURA | Bike & Motorcycle Brakes )
My bike had 200mm front/200mm rear, with SRAM Level T brakes.

To install 220mm both front and rear with Code RSC, I used a Magura QM45 adapter, and M6 20mm bolts.
I transferred the magnet from the old to new rear rotor and had no issues at all with clearance to the swing arm or with the sensor and magnet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles