Levo Gen 2 Magura MT7 with 220mm rotor

Kitetrol

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Hi guys
Not getting along with SRAM breaks on my 2020 Levo Comp - it has Lyrik 35 mm fork.
Hoping to change to MT7 Magura set.
Does anyone know if I can directly mount 220mm front disc or do I need adapter of sort? I will be keeping 200mm disc at the back.
Cheers

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I've done MT7s with 220 ebike rotors front and rear. Very happy with the results. My local trails have long, steep descents that are shared with hikers (and their kids and dogs). The SRAMs weren't up to the task and would be howling hot when I reached the bottom.

Magura.jpg

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
Everyone struggles with SRAM brakes.
So I just finally switched over my SRAM Code brakes and drivetrain to Shimano XTR on a 2019 Turbo Levo. This is an absolutely huge difference in braking ability compared to SRAM Code and now you can shed speed faster and later into corners and with 1 finger with zero arm and hand fatigue. I am a big guy that goes fast on a heavy bike and after having both I can tell you for sure that all that modulation that people talk about is absolute rubbish. The Shimano difference is so wide and confidence inspiring I cannot believe people even compare the two in the same sentence. I also think that they have enough modulation for anyone. On SRAM I was looking to upgrade the discs from 200 to 220 but then just decided to switch Shimano XTR 9120 with 203 Ice tech and the power difference is significantly better. Then switched the shifter, derailleur and rear cassette to twelve speed, everything but the crank, to Shimano and I can tell you that Shimano blows away SRAM in all ways. Want to save a few bucks get XT. The bike is a whole new bike and way better IMO in all ways. After this back to back test of components on the same bike Shimano wins by a huge margin! No, I don’t work for Shimano.
I also thought the shock upgrade to DVO Onyx in front and Topaz in rear are significant changes. I love this bike now and at the beginning I could never get it to feel right.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK

I think its just the code R or below that suck. The kenevo I bought had code rsc fitted which were really very good indeed.
I would have left them on but I'm more geared up for shimano saint spares & bleed kits etc. Plus I dislike dot fluid.

559Enote

Jun 18, 2020
Fresno, CA
Just did the same on mine. Here in the US Magura is a bit more exotic so you need to think it all through. I'm still sorting through my cockpit and the integration with shifter and dropper post lever.
20200911_171844.jpg

Last edited:

MACSKI1

Aug 4, 2020
Australia
So I just finally switched over my SRAM Code brakes and drivetrain to Shimano XTR on a 2019 Turbo Levo. This is an absolutely huge difference in braking ability compared to SRAM Code and now you can shed speed faster and later into corners and with 1 finger with zero arm and hand fatigue. I am a big guy that goes fast on a heavy bike and after having both I can tell you for sure that all that modulation that people talk about is absolute rubbish. The Shimano difference is so wide and confidence inspiring I cannot believe people even compare the two in the same sentence. I also think that they have enough modulation for anyone. On SRAM I was looking to upgrade the discs from 200 to 220 but then just decided to switch Shimano XTR 9120 with 203 Ice tech and the power difference is significantly better. Then switched the shifter, derailleur and rear cassette to twelve speed, everything but the crank, to Shimano and I can tell you that Shimano blows away SRAM in all ways. Want to save a few bucks get XT. The bike is a whole new bike and way better IMO in all ways. After this back to back test of components on the same bike Shimano wins by a huge margin! No, I don’t work for Shimano.
I also thought the shock upgrade to DVO Onyx in front and Topaz in rear are significant changes. I love this bike now and at the beginning I could never get it to feel right.
I have XTR duals on my 20 Stumpy and XT duals on my Levo. The XT 's are as excellent. I am about to Di2 my Levo for a real hoot...

Woody1975

Jul 15, 2020
amsterdam
I would like to go this route on a 21’ Comp
So the QM 45 adapter for the front caliper,is the 220mm disc a bolt on for the Shimano hub?

Manfred

Aug 5, 2020
Germany
If you are a bird lover, take the MDR-P scrap :ROFLMAO:.
Sounds like a woodpecker when braking hard under about 10mph. The holes in the friction ring are too big.
Probably the developers only tested the disc on the way to the ice cream parlor.
In reality this sounds even worse:

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Sounds like pads arent lined up, and yes big brakes make noise, just listen to race care brakes.

tuna, could you tell me more about the js labs, is it a plantery gear too?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Sounds like a woodpecker when braking hard under about 10mph. The holes in the friction ring are too big.
Probably the developers only tested the disc on the way to the ice cream parlor.
My MT7 + MDR-P setup requires proper bedding to be silent. When the pads and rotors are properly bedded, there is no noise. The bedding process is a price I am happy to pay to get the amazing stopping power of these brakes.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
When I had Magura MDR-P 220mm rotor on front wheel (with Sram Code RSC brakes) I had similar sound when rotor produced several cracks on breaking surface, probably a bad batch rotor, I returned it and received a full refund.

Woody1975

Jul 15, 2020
amsterdam
Seems i need this to make it work on a 21’ Levo
Magura advise specific against to use a adapter whit these discs
Any experience whit this?

6B2B434C-AE12-4047-8C2F-31E6487DC324.jpeg

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Zillertal, Tirol, Austria
Magura MT5 with 203mm rotors will be more than enough stopping power. I regularly take 1000m + descents, no fade, no squealing. Need to replace rear (organic) pads every 500km, fronts every 1000km. On my TL these were a €200 upgrade on purchase as recommended. Worth every euro!

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US

View attachment 41888
I pretty sure all levo's are 6 bolt hubs, can't say for certain. Maybe the shimano spec'd models.....

Magura does have centerlock rotors, but they only go up to 160 or 180. However, you don't have to match rotor/caliper brand, but it is recommended as it may require a shim or two.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
AFAIK all Shimano drivetrain 2021 Levos have centerlock hubs.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
tuna, could you tell me more about the js labs, is it a plantery gear too?

Yes it is, but it mounts differently than the Planet3. The ring gear is held on with a clip that attaches to the rotor, so you have to make sure there's a compatible clip, or use the generic one. Planet3 is better in this regard as it's not dependent on the rotor type (it also supports Centerlock rotors). On the other hand Planet3 is a 300% increase, the LSS is only 150%. You can achieve the same thing with Planet3 by using 2 gears but then you have twice the moving parts, harder setup, and twice the parts to wear out.

Also just to be clear the LSS is sold via Shapeways, not directly. It's more of a "hobbyist" solution. It's a bit annoying when you need to order another clip, the costs are bit insane and the lead times are long.

I've had a good experience with both products. I'm using Planet3 now because it's the only choice for Centerlock rotors.

Here are some links:

JJLevo19

Apr 29, 2020
Melbourne
I've done MT7s with 220 ebike rotors front and rear. Very happy with the results. My local trails have long, steep descents that are shared with hikers (and their kids and dogs). The SRAMs weren't up to the task and would be howling hot when I reached the bottom.

View attachment 40238
All good with my question on your other post answered now cheers. I have the sram level ts and they just don’t quite cope. I have been told to upgrade to the codes but I just can’t steer away from the MT7s with 220s.

Cheres79

Feb 9, 2021
Mexico

View attachment 40238
Great Setup! that's exactly what I want to do. Just sometimes doubt it because of the bleeding comments online. Could you please give me some info on what extra parts you had to buy to fit them to your bike? I believe we have the same bike. I recently installed a Fox 38. Any help would be great! thanks!

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I think we need a consolidated MT7/MDR-P thread!

Regarding bleeding, it's possible to screw up the bleeding process for any hydraulic system. I don't think Magura brakes are harder to bleed than the original SRAMs. Just make sure to use a screwdriver type tool to tighten the plug in the MT7 handle so you don't strip the plastic threads. A torque driver would be better, but not cheap.

You'll need:

2 MDR-P Rotors 220mm
2 QM45 adapters
2 MT7 Pro brake sets

I bought this bleed kit from Amazon, but I see it's "currently unavailable", at least in the US.

You'll also need 4 more bolts for the calipers because Magura uses 2 bolts to attach each QM45 adapter to the bike, and 2 more bolts to attach the caliper to the adapter. SRAM uses the same bolts to attach caliper to the adapter and the adapter to the bike, which means those bolts will be too long for the Magura setup. If memory serves, Magura includes caliper to adapter bolts with the MT7 kit, but not adapter to bike bolts.

Cheres79

Feb 9, 2021
Mexico
I think we need a consolidated MT7/MDR-P thread!

Regarding bleeding, it's possible to screw up the bleeding process for any hydraulic system. I don't think Magura brakes are harder to bleed than the original SRAMs. Just make sure to use a screwdriver type tool to tighten the plug in the MT7 handle so you don't strip the plastic threads. A torque driver would be better, but not cheap.

You'll need:

2 MDR-P Rotors 220mm
2 QM45 adapters
2 MT7 Pro brake sets

I bought this bleed kit from Amazon, but I see it's "currently unavailable", at least in the US.

You'll also need 4 more bolts for the calipers because Magura uses 2 bolts to attach each QM45 adapter to the bike, and 2 more bolts to attach the caliper to the adapter. SRAM uses the same bolts to attach caliper to the adapter and the adapter to the bike, which means those bolts will be too long for the Magura setup. If memory serves, Magura includes caliper to adapter bolts with the MT7 kit, but not adapter to bike bolts.
Thank you so much! This is very helpful.
Just a bit confused on that last part with the 4 bolts. So I will need another 4 bolts right? Which bolts?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
You need a total of 8 bolts to do both front and rear brakes. Magura supplies 2 bolts per MT7 kit, so that is 4 of the 8 you need. You can't use the 4 bolts from your SRAM brakes because they are too long. This means you need to get your hands on 4 more bolts.

MT7withQM45.jpg

Cheres79

Feb 9, 2021
Mexico
You need a total of 8 bolts to do both front and rear brakes. Magura supplies 2 bolts per MT7 kit, so that is 4 of the 8 you need. You can't use the 4 bolts from your SRAM brakes because they are too long. This means you need to get your hands on 4 more bolts.

View attachment 52615
Thank you so much??. This helps a lot specially since it's the first time I upgrade brakes. Can't wait to try them. Thanks again!!

SoCal Rider

Feb 21, 2021
Southern California

View attachment 41888
Bumping this thread as I have the same question. I have a 2021 Levo Comp with the stock centerlock hubs and would like to go to 220mm rotors but cannot find 220mm centerlock rotors anywhere. Does anyone know why Magura warns against using an adapter to fit their rotors to centerlock hubs? Is it advisable to not do it with with other 220mm rotors, or just a Magura thing?

A lot of centerlock rotors do not even look like they were designed around the centerlock interface, but that the manufacturer simply took a 6-bolt rotor and bolted on an adapter, which leads me to conclude an adapter would be fine. Check out SRAM for example:

1613945113335.png
1613945152795.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles