Magura brakes

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
good lord.... the chewed up and scratched bolts, even the brand new caliper mounts! are bad enough but sloppy spannering aside, the brakes dont work and they should..
so the bike is brand new, not turned a wheel yet?

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I'm no mechanic :eek: but mounted my MT7s in 2 hours.
Didn't have to drop the motor - Just connected the the new rear brakeline to the old and gently pulled it through the frame to the front.

You can use this small connector: Link

RockShox-Barb-Connector-for-Reverb-Reverb-Stealth-red-universal-33811-303604-1576064456.jpeg

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
Didn't have to drop the motor - Just connected the the new rear brakeline to the old and gently pulled it through the frame to the front.

View attachment 25222

View attachment 25222

Thanks but never again.

TommyBall

Feb 12, 2019
Edinburgh
**edit- working away with slow loading Internet just saw the rest of your update hope its all neat when you get it back**

Is the mechanic going back to his day job at the meat counter next week?

Really sorry to see that damage. He should of stopped or arranged to have someone else take over.

If you paid the bike shop (even the mechanic I suppose) I would give them a chance to put it right and if that fails suggest that you can take it elsewhere and send them the bill.

Try to be as reasonable as you can before threatening small claims stuff it'll still cost you time and money to go down that road even if you win.

I'm looking at this from a motor trade side, I hope you get it sorted. As said the maguras will rock your socks off!

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
good lord.... the chewed up and scratched bolts, even the brand new caliper mounts! are bad enough but sloppy spannering aside, the brakes dont work and they should..
so the bike is brand new, not turned a wheel yet?[/QUOTE
Hi,
200 miles on the clock
**edit- working away with slow loading Internet just saw the rest of your update hope its all neat when you get it back**

Is the mechanic going back to his day job at the meat counter next week?

Really sorry to see that damage. He should of stopped or arranged to have someone else take over.

If you paid the bike shop (even the mechanic I suppose) I would give them a chance to put it right and if that fails suggest that you can take it elsewhere and send them the bill.

Try to be as reasonable as you can before threatening small claims stuff it'll still cost you time and money to go down that road even if you win.

I'm looking at this from a motor trade side, I hope you get it sorted. As said the maguras will rock your socks off!
Hi,
just been to pick the bike up and they have now sheared one of the new bolts!!!!! I don’t know what to do, I’ve taken the bike to one of there other stores told them not to work on it until I speak to specialized on Monday.

D399EF4B-C796-4FAE-B10E-8051E7F3250D.jpeg

818457BD-D589-41F7-BDF1-E8B72177D236.jpeg

7404521A-87B5-4DD1-9BEF-FB858539A2F5.jpeg

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
Been to pick the bike up today and they have sheared one of the new bolts!!!!!
It’s in one of there other shops now until Monday when I can speak to specialized and ask for some advice.

9B691018-D696-4DDB-9305-628F9BA64AB1.jpeg

05D9A8EB-D6AA-4847-AD9D-2B1128F504A3.jpeg

B822C56B-8B6F-4ACB-9747-9D75EC7BA5A7.jpeg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If it was my bike I'd be ringing the head office and making them aware of the incompetence and possibly dangerous work being done at the Preston branch, and making it clear that you will be taking the legal route if it's not repaired to your satisfaction and possibly involve Specialized.
Sometimes a blitz on the company's social media will result in a suitable response.
Good luck ?

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
If it was my bike I'd be ringing the head office and making them aware of the incompetence and possibly dangerous work being done at the Preston branch, and making it clear that you will be taking the legal route if it's not repaired to your satisfaction and possibly involve Specialized.
Sometimes a blitz on the company's social media will result in a suitable response.
Good luck ?
Hi

Spoke to the director of the company who asked for a £500 deposit for a loan bike didn’t have the money so had to leave my bike as deposit.
I’ve asked them not to do any work until I’ve spoken to specialized.
He assured me the bike technician know what they are doing but I think my pictures say different!

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'd email (so there is a record of your complaint) him the photos and cc in Specialized, asking if he still thinks that it's acceptable quality work.
Don't let them fob you off, if need be, suggest that they make good the poor workmanship or you'll take to another company and send them the invoice. Drop 'Trading Standards' into the mix as well.

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
Well.... Shit... Did they let you take the bike away like that? Have they ordered anything for it like the bolts and fittings?
Hi,
That was a new bolt!!
After a brief argument they sent me to another branch to loan me a bike when I got there they asked for £500 deposit which I haven’t got so had to leave my bike.
I don’t want them to do any more work on my bike but I don’t know what else I can do.

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
Can anyone offer some advice?
I don’t know what to do!! Should I let them work on the bike? Can I get specialized involved?
Should the bike fitter have training certificates from specialized before they go near a bike?
This is also a safety issue?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
If you purchased from them originally I would be talking to Specialized and requesting either a replacement bike or a replacement motor at minimum. A guy locally had a problem with a LBS and they fitted a helicoil into the motor. He contacted the importer and they said that was not acceptable for a bike under warranty still so had the bike taken to another dealer for a motor swap.

TommyBall

Feb 12, 2019
Edinburgh
Hi,
That was a new bolt!!
After a brief argument they sent me to another branch to loan me a bike when I got there they asked for £500 deposit which I haven’t got so had to leave my bike.
I don’t want them to do any more work on my bike but I don’t know what else I can do.

I'd contact specialized to at least make them aware of what's going on. I don't even know why they would touch that bolt for fitting the new brakes. I would still say only mention legal stuff as a last resort. If your selling the bikes you should have someone who's not going to munch all the bolts.

Contact the shop tomorrow and find out exactly what they will do for you. If your getting a bit understandably rage monster like... Which I would be... Get someone else to call. No point in shouting at someone as it never gets anywhere.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Ricardo,

I’d write a list of all the things that you are unhappy with and what it would take for them to put it right.

Give them a chance to fix all the bits that you’ve listed. Speak with the manager of the store if possible.

If that doesn’t work out give Specialized Rider Care UK a call and ask them what they’d recommend.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Specialized Rider Care - I might be jumping the gun here. I'm not sure if this is something you can help with, give a nudge in the right direction, or just give some reassurance to @Ricardo .

Seems to be an unfortunate train of events which would leave anyone frustrated. (Two duplicate threads have just been merged, so there's some repetition). We all (Spesh owners) rely on the knowledge that we have the best and most professional backup behind us with our bikes - this situation doesn't seem to fit within that framework.

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
You haven’t jumped the gun I’m just feeling a bit lost. Going to take Rob H’s advice on Monday and list everything and hear their response but have completely lost faith so very vary about letting them near it again. Your right, it should not have happened if you take your bike to a specialized dealer.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
They should never drop the motor just to swap rear brake line. I used RockShox Barb Connector on Carbon and Alu 2019/2020 Levos and it works like a charm, you can easily pull the old cable out and new one in.
Fitting and bleeding MAGURA brakes is also nothing special. I got them working 100% in the my first try, same as Shimano and Sram as long as you closely follow MAGURA tutorials on on youtube.
Really sad, that licenced shop do something like that. That is why you have to do some things yourself, there is lots of information online and even replacing and bleeding brakes is not a big science if you take your time

Last edited:

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
Just got off the phone with the director Tim
He’s gone ahead and done the repair without go ahead I ask them not to touch the bike until I spoke to specialized. Other bolts and screws are damaged on the bike which I’ve had no chance to explain. Offers no compensation for all my time,fuel and upset says it’s just one of them thing’s. I’ve sent the pictures to specialized and awaiting a reply. Small claims court I think!!!

Ricardo

Sep 25, 2019
Liverpool
Update.... bike fitted with new hardware from front to back including pivot bolts, all this after specialized got involved. James @ specialized informed me every time any motors are removed Specilized recommend the hardware is changed for new as the old ones stretch, so anyone who’s had work done check the bolts are new!!!
The shop gave me £50 credit which just covered my fuel but better than nothing.
Not been out on the bike to test yet due to the weather.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles