• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Magic Mary v Maxxis Shorty v Spesh Hillbilly

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm looking for more bite in the current greasy, sloppy conditions. I normally run a Mary all year round but I'm finding somewhat lacking in bite this winter. Admittedly, it had been on for about a year and 1500 miles so it may just be past it's best but if I'm going to buy a new tyre, I'll buy one that's right for the conditions now as they are likely to be sloppy for a while.

Does anyone ( @Gary? ) have direct experience of any or all of the above tyres?

Oct 22, 2020
California
I'm probably not qualified to answer since the area of California where I'm from doesn't get that sloppy. But I'm like you, I run Marys all year around after coming from DHF/DHR and Butcher and Rekon. ATM two of my e-mtbs (2019 Motobecane and motorized 2017 Session 88) are running Marys and they're perfect for the trails in my area. I do have a motorized Giant Talon 2 hardtail that's running Aggressors ATM and I'm finding them not as grippy as the Marys.

I have a 2020 Instinct Powerplay BC A50 arriving in 2 days that'll have a mix of DHF and Aggressor so we'll see how they are for my area. But (y)(y) for Magic Marys from me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I Have experience of Mary's and shortys. But not the hillbilly.

I prefer Marys out of the two. But as you know I kinda like sliding about (in a semi controlled manner).
Shorty is a little better in actual mud. (but less good as an all conditions tyre) But at1500 miles your current Marys are definitely not going to perform anywhere near that of a new set.
Also bear in mind the 2.35 Mary performs a little differently to the larger sized ones

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles