M-Series Range Extender First Use

machaggis

Dec 1, 2022
Seattle, USA
I used my range extender for the first time today (after sitting ready to go from before Christmas!) and immediately snapped off the part that is meant to "click" the connector in - although I'm happily ham-fisted this was a bit of a surprise.

Has this happened to everyone/anyone else?

And the connection seems pretty good even without it, so I don't think there is anything to worry about, or is there?

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Yes! Same happened to me. Bike shop replaced the charging port, its a fault design element! Its so easy to break.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I used my range extender for the first time today (after sitting ready to go from before Christmas!) and immediately snapped off the part that is meant to "click" the connector in - although I'm happily ham-fisted this was a bit of a surprise.

Has this happened to everyone/anyone else?

And the connection seems pretty good even without it, so I don't think there is anything to worry about, or is there?
machaggis,

You did not mention which tab you broke off, there is one at the frame charging port and the range extender port. On several occasions, I did not push the range extender connection cable fully into the range extender charging port and thus the tab was not engaged. Typically, after a bit of banging around on the trail, the connection would work loose and my bike would stop working. It's not a big deal, you just have to push the connection cable firmly back into the range extender charging port and restart the bike.

As others have mentioned, the jumper wire connection at the frame and range extender is pretty tight and you should not have a problem with the wire working loose. However, without having the tab to hold the range extender connection wire firmly into the connection port, it's possible the wire may work loose when riding rough trails. If the tab is broken at the range extender and the wire works loose, then the bike will shut off. If the tab is broken at the frame charging port and it works loose, you will simply not use the range extender.

Note: I've not disassembled a Rise wiring harness, but I assume that when you plug the range extender connection wire into the frame charging port, it creates an electrical circuit that requires the other end of the connection wire to be plugged into the range extender. If the wire is not plugged into the range extender, the circuit is interrupted and the bike powers off.

Orbea offers replacement parts for both the frame charging port tab/plate and also the range extender charging port tab/plate. You can buy a replacement frame charging port cover/plate for $10 located in the Orbea "Spare Parts" Rise section. Shipping usually takes about two to three weeks from Spain. If the tab is broken off at the range extender port, a replacement part is offered. The dealer will likely need to purchase the part for you and install it. Orbea has a caution advisement on replacing the part. If care is not followed, the range extender battery can be damaged during the replacement process.

Screenshot 2023-02-06 06.54.48.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-06 06.55.11.jpg

Note: If you do buy replacement parts from Orbea, be sure to buy a spare chain stay protective cover. The Rise has a nasty habit of rubbing a hole in the top of the chain stay protective cover near the front at the chain ring. If the wear is allowed to fully develop, your chain will eat completely through the guard and into the chain stay.

Replacement frame charging port cover with tab. Can be purchased on the Orbea website's spare parts section.
Screenshot 2023-02-06 07.01.20.jpg

Range extender charging port tab plate, Orbea item # 41.1

Screenshot 2023-02-06 06.52.26.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-06 07.05.18.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles