Lost keys Rail 7

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
I have lost both my battery compartment keys. I called the dealership, Trek o Pasadena, and the told be to go to a locksmith. No luck there as he could not pic the lock or make those kind of keys. I really don’t know where to go from here. Any ideas would be appreciated

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
If you have the card that comes with the bike/keys I believe it has a code on it for replacements.

If you haven't then a bike shop will need to drill the lock out. Once they have done that, you can get the battery out & replace the mechanism, which will include new keys & the card.

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
I found this on another forum where someone had lost their keys:
If you have a Bosch eBike the key number will have been saved onto your motor if the bike shop you purchased from has their head screwed on! That’s right, Bosch have given a special memory slot on the motor to save the key number of an electric bike to enable dealers to recite the unique key number in the event of you losing both of your keys.
I hopefully can find a bike shop that can access this. Apparently Trek of Pasadena did not know about this because they blew me off telling me to go to a locksmith.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I bet the LPL could have that lock picked in less than 30 seconds...all the while explaining exactly what he is doing and what tool he is using. The guy is friggin incredible.

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
look up lockpickinglawyer on youtube, its scary what that guy can do and pretty entertaining too
Yes, He actually picked a lock with the Abus + core which is the same one our ebikes are....but he is very skilled and has tools that he made, and I dare say the most locksmiths do note have these tools and most don't focus on lock picking. The ones I went to said "It can't be picked" and the first thing I thought of was the lockpickinglawyer.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I have lost both my battery compartment keys. I called the dealership, Trek o Pasadena, and the told be to go to a locksmith. No luck there as he could not pic the lock or make those kind of keys. I really don’t know where to go from here. Any ideas would be appreciated

High Rock Ruti

I bought two Orbea's they both had the same key, so much for individually coded locks

Warm Regards

Ruti

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
Do you have the original paperwork for the bike? My 9.8 has the Abus keycode listed. I highly recommend the first thing a buyer does is register their bike and key on the Abus website. Then you can always request a replacement.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
at least with the orbea situation above you would of had a spare then !!!!

keys on bikes as rob said in his review what a pointless thing

and to be honest a major company like trek offering no help but “go see a locksmith “ is quite frankly unreasonable I think

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
and to be honest a major company like trek offering no help but “go see a locksmith “ is quite frankly unreasonable I think
OTOH, would you be comfortable knowing there's a database out there with your information and key code on it?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
All I know I would be very uncomfortable knowing that if I lost my keys , trek doesn’t want to help and locksmith can’t get in either

Where does this leave the op
What’s the answer to it ??

As rob and other have said there no place on a bike for keys most don’t have them

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's a Rail, ride it for long enough and the battery will just fall out... :ROFLMAO:
@deserthi in all seriousness, have you tried loosening the top and bottom battery bracket screws? If you set them to the maximum distance apart it may be possible to get the battery out. You may need to use an old credit card or strip of stiff plastic to depress the lock tongue.

deserthi

Apr 6, 2021
Great Idea but I could only unloosen two of the bolts on the back of the battery, The other six are the security type of star screws. They need a bit with a hole in the middle. I ruined an old credit card trying to do this with no luck but thanks for the idea.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Or just knock the centre pin out with a hammer and punch.

GolfMaster52

Oct 19, 2020
Bentonville, Arkansas
OTOH, would you be comfortable knowing there's a database out there with your information and key code on it?
Sure. If you register the key, i believe it prevents anyone else from being able to order that key. I'm not really worried about hackers breaching the database, contacting Abus, getting a key made, then coming to my house and stealing my bike.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
£4.99 toolstation
30D8A337-FB47-4580-B54E-6B1FCF93C674.png

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Sure. If you register the key, i believe it prevents anyone else from being able to order that key. I'm not really worried about hackers breaching the database, contacting Abus, getting a key made, then coming to my house and stealing my bike.
Same here

my litelock keys are on a registered database and that lock was brought on a card registered to my home
Not worried at all as at least I can get spare keys and the thief that comes here would be armed with a grinder anyway to get through the other 4 chains

I find it hard to believe trek don’t have a key record for ordering replacements

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
No, he's the US, which is why I posted a link to Amazon USA.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Sweet I guess they don’t have toolstation in usa don’t know ?
was thinking he will want these bits tomorrow if he is desperate to get this battery out

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles