Litelock bike lock opinions

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I have a couple of Litelocks, and they are pretty good and pretty light - but they are a pain to carry, due to the way they bend (or don't bend) and always want to spring back to a straight line. The Sold Secure rating is good though.

I also have some Altor locks - and if I ever need to carry a lock, then I always choose to use these instead of the Litelocks, as they are much easier to carry and use, plus a bit lighter. The only downside is no Sold Secure rating, e.g. if you need that for insurance.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I think that we're all aware no lock can withstand a sustained attack and tools like cordless angle grinders make short work of about any lock.
That said, it kind of depends where the bike is locked and for how long.
For example When choosing a lock for my ebike I was shown clips of grinder thieves nicking bikes but in truth that vids were showing bikes locked in low traffic or back street areas. I surmised that yes you could grind off a lock in one part of urban London, but could you do the same in the middle of Oxford st on a Saturday afternoon, or at the front door of a major supermarket? and I would say not.

But the stronger the better, and by that I mean choose something that cable cutters cant get through and only the cordless grinder could be used, which is why I bought the abus bordo granit x-plus 6500 over something like a hip worn litelok, which I would have preferred given the bordo is a huge heavyweight brick of a lock , and the litelok can be waist mounted so after a while you probably wouldnt notice it.

This is the vid that put me off the litelok, mainly as the attack is silent. I've seen too many cop shows of dodgy crooks using boltcroppers to easily steal bikes and less have access to cordless grinders which by their nature are loud and draw attention to their presence. Seems grinder are more a pro tool for people who do their stealing at night or in low traffic quiet areas.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles