Levo Gen 3 Lights wired directly to Levo motor / battery on Gen3

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Has anyone successfully done this yet?

I’ve just taken delivery of a new Magicshine light that has the correct cable to run into the green port of the motor.

Yesterday I wired it all up, turned the bike on but no light. The light works fine with the alternative supplied battery so it’s not that.

Light is the Magicshine ME 2000

F049F86C-A97B-4A4C-8FCB-83FC31E2A163.jpeg

AF9D88CF-B29D-4E07-91AB-5FF78393C339.jpeg

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I've got a Magicshine MJ-906S that is supposed to be eBike compatible, but it doesn't work on my 2020 Levo either.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I also have this light. Again, no good!
[/QUOTE]

Did you try it it the dark ? - I haven't yet, and I just read that "As an e-bike LED light, MJ-906S automatically adjusts its output levels", so maybe it doesn't work at all in daylight.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I also have this light. Again, no good!

Did you try it it the dark ? - I haven't yet, and I just read that "As an e-bike LED light, MJ-906S automatically adjusts its output levels", so maybe it doesn't work at all in daylight.
[/QUOTE]

Yes I covered up the light sensor. It also gave some motor errors in mission control mentioning that it’s trying to draw too much power :-(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yes I covered up the light sensor. It also gave some motor errors in mission control mentioning that it’s trying to draw too much power :-(
Could you make a cable up which runs to the front light port and the rear light port, connected in parallel so it pulls the same voltage, but gives you access to 4a instead ?

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
[/QUOTE]

I didn't have Mission Control connected, but I did get flashing blue and red lights on the TCU - which I suppose is telling me the same thing. Shame because it's such a compact powerful light, but the battery is huge, and won't fit under the top tube.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If the "Y" cable works, maybe someone can make some up. You can call them Zimlynk's (Y for the Y cable) and send me my 10% every 1000 years. I guess if it does work, you might make the Y up as an H cable instead - two to go on the Motors Front and rear light sockets and two for front and rear lights. The cable just joining the ports together so you have all the capacity shared. In theory a rear light will only be very very low current so shouldn't cause any problems. @Bearing Man get some knocked up after @Rob Rides EMTB has tested it, you know you have nothing better to do ! :)

There's a chance it's already wired like that in the motor and the 2 amps is already shared between the front and rear ports - in which case, it won't work.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
If the "Y" cable works, maybe someone can make some up. You can call them Zimlynk's (Y for the Y cable) and send me my 10% every 1000 years. I guess if it does work, you might make the Y up as an H cable instead - two to go on the Motors Front and rear light sockets and two for front and rear lights. The cable just joining the ports together so you have all the capacity shared. In theory a rear light will only be very very low current so shouldn't cause any problems. @Bearing Man get some knocked up after @Rob Rides EMTB has tested it, you know you have nothing better to do ! :)

There's a chance it's already wired like that in the motor and the 2 amps is already shared between the front and rear ports - in which case, it won't work.
What have you taken? Wrong colored pills ?

Holejos

Sep 20, 2021
Norway
Hi! I have read some threads now regarding the wired lights to Levo Gen2/Gen3. I see there is a mention of a max 2 Amp supply, however from documentatio I have found it might be as low as 0.6 Amp for specifically Specialized Brose engine. This may be the reason most of you struggle to connect lights to the Levo. Most documentation on these e-bike lights only mention Brose compatability, but this is not specific to Specialized Brose.

It seems this bike can handle quite limited wired lights. Have a look at the screenshot below for the Exposure light. It differentiates between Brose and Specialized... See link ?
https://exposurelights.com/pub/media/productattachments/files/Output_Tables.pdf

I have had good experience with a 1500 lumen early model Magicshine. Works super
Screenshot_20210920-073408_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
That Info aint` correct... Output for the 2.1 and 2.2 Specialized S-mag : 12V/24W, 2A max.
View attachment 72103

Unless Spesh have done something to stop lights working on the gen 3, and it is the same as the gen 2, this works perfectly on my gen 2:

Holejos

Sep 20, 2021
Norway
Unless Spesh have done something to stop lights working on the gen 3, and it is the same as the gen 2, this works perfectly on my gen 2:

Yes, but this is a less powerful light. I was hoping to get a powerful light for trail riding

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
Mounted Magicshine 902es yesterday (3000lumen). Worked perfectly on both Gen 2 and Gen 3 (verified)

Hi, do you think that you are getting the full 3000 lumens of output? Do you have anything to compare the Magicshine 902es output to? I'm wondering if there's any point in getting anything more powerful than the 902es (e.g 906es) as I'm not convinced that the Levo gen 2 system will support the claimed max outputs.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Hi, do you think that you are getting the full 3000 lumens of output? Do you have anything to compare the Magicshine 902es output to? I'm wondering if there's any point in getting anything more powerful than the 902es (e.g 906es) as I'm not convinced that the Levo gen 2 system will support the claimed max outputs.
Do you literally just plug these into the Levo? Seems pretty cool. Any photos?

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney

I tried to use the Magicshine 906s with my gen 2 Levo, but it didn't work - even though it is advertised as being compatible with Brose motors. I believe Rob had the same experience, which is a shame because it is a fantastic light.

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
Do you literally just plug these into the Levo? Seems pretty cool. Any photos?
There’s a picture of the light ports on the side of the Brose motor above. You need to buy the light and the correct connector cable (sold separately).

AP123

Jul 31, 2020
Los Angeles
There’s a picture of the light ports on the side of the Brose motor above. You need to buy the light and the correct connector cable (sold separately).

What about the Lupine?

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Here is the info I found on the 902S. Not sure how to read it, as I’m an electrical idiot!

E08D174D-599B-4EB9-80AA-AA22F44E480D.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles