Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I am looking to upgrade my 23' Specialized Levo SL 1.2 crankset to the Sram DUB Carbon crankarms, as are offered stock on the Sworks bike. Anyone have access to the part/ part number? I wonder of these are the same crank arms as the analog bike , minus the spindle, or if the e-bike version has a different q factor? Any info or correct part/where to buy would be appreciated!
They are not the same cranks as the regular MTB versions.

Crank ArmAlloy Arms:
  • S211600036 - 165mm
  • S211600037 - 170mm
  • S211600038 - 175mm
Carbon Arms:
  • S211600039 - 165mm
  • S211600040 - 170mm
  • S211600041 - 175mm

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Has the new update worked for you? The new Specialized app is saying everything is fine and the battery charge limit is set to 80% but it's still doing full charges. :unsure:
I never made it to a dealer for the update, way to much hassle! :rolleyes:

I'm sure the update will fix the issue. All I know is that once you have reached 10 charge cycles, the battery charge limit feature will no longer function even if you disable and re-enable it.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
They are not the same cranks as the regular MTB versions.

Crank ArmAlloy Arms:
  • S211600036 - 165mm
  • S211600037 - 170mm
  • S211600038 - 175mm
Carbon Arms:
  • S211600039 - 165mm
  • S211600040 - 170mm
  • S211600041 - 175mm
I saw someone posting on FB the other day saying they'd upgraded their alloy ones to carbon. The cost was something like £450 😳

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I never made it to a dealer for the update, way to much hassle! :rolleyes:

I'm sure the update will fix the issue. All I know is that once you have reached 10 charge cycles, the battery charge limit feature will no longer function even if you disable and re-enable it.
Mine seems to have sorted itself out now. After a few charges going to 100% it's now back to an 80% charge. Maybe it needed a few full cycles to balance the cells.🤷‍♂️

Razorrazoo

Oct 17, 2023
London
Hi, first time posting as I’m looking at a KSL given the good deals that are currently on (I know the new motor is due). I have a few questions, have not owned any sort of emtb before and currently on a SC Megatower.

Sizing – I’m 5’10, average proportions (not long of leg) and ride a large Megatower which has approx. 475 reach which I find spot on. This puts me bang between S3 (460) and S4 (485) on the KSL. already know dropper insertion is a weak point, so what size are people of my height riding and what length dropper do you have fitted?

The UI / Remote – I’m weighing up options on different models, is there any difference between the Expert and Comp models? The frame and shock look the same but I am unsure whether the Mastermind display is better spec on the costlier model. My current bike has a decent build (Zeb Ultimate, GX AXS, Hope E4s) and I could look at a frame swap with a lower spec KSL as being the best value option but don’t want to end up with an inferior KSL.

As an uplift bike – I use my current bike for all my mtb, the KSL would replace it. Is a KSL OK for uplift riding (Alps and UK bike park trailers), will the motor be happy lasting all day (given I'll not be using it on anything but low power if just riding DH)? Can it just be ‘turned off’ if doing downhill laps or does it need power to run the bike even if just riding downhill?

Any other pointers welcome.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Hi, first time posting as I’m looking at a KSL given the good deals that are currently on (I know the new motor is due). I have a few questions, have not owned any sort of emtb before and currently on a SC Megatower.

Sizing – I’m 5’10, average proportions (not long of leg) and ride a large Megatower which has approx. 475 reach which I find spot on. This puts me bang between S3 (460) and S4 (485) on the KSL. already know dropper insertion is a weak point, so what size are people of my height riding and what length dropper do you have fitted?

The UI / Remote – I’m weighing up options on different models, is there any difference between the Expert and Comp models? The frame and shock look the same but I am unsure whether the Mastermind display is better spec on the costlier model. My current bike has a decent build (Zeb Ultimate, GX AXS, Hope E4s) and I could look at a frame swap with a lower spec KSL as being the best value option but don’t want to end up with an inferior KSL.

As an uplift bike – I use my current bike for all my mtb, the KSL would replace it. Is a KSL OK for uplift riding (Alps and UK bike park trailers), will the motor be happy lasting all day (given I'll not be using it on anything but low power if just riding DH)? Can it just be ‘turned off’ if doing downhill laps or does it need power to run the bike even if just riding downhill?

Any other pointers welcome.
I would go frame only and move your components across from your Megatower. 50% off frame at the moment!

S3 for a more playful bike, S4 for more stability. Pick the size based on intended use...

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Had anyone successfully purchased a set of S-WORKS decals to go over the original ones on the frame?

I’ve had 2 sets sent out so far from Indiprint / Indibike… the first set were way too big. I measured various dimensions and sent it to them, but the second set weren’t long enough and were too high (and not the dimensions I asked for!).

I’ve tried contacting SLIK multiple times as I’ve had great success with them in the past - however they don’t answer emails / Insta messages.

Looking for a recommendation.
I used Speedy Decals. I like them and they’re holding up well. Most of the manufacturers seem to make them a little bigger so that they fully cover the originals. Here is a picture of mine. Also got fork and shock decals from them.
Loving the bike more and more. Put a load of miles on it now and the extra power and its delivery is very good. The motor noise reduction is a pleasant surprise, I don’t notice it at all 80% of the time. Tyre noise cancels it out. Makes the odd quirky overrun noise though.
Very quiet and confident descender too.

IMG_7467.jpeg

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I used Speedy Decals. I like them and they’re holding up well. Most of the manufacturers seem to make them a little bigger so that they fully cover the originals. Here is a picture of mine. Also got fork and shock decals from them.
Loving the bike more and more. Put a load of miles on it now and the extra power and its delivery is very good. The motor noise reduction is a pleasant surprise, I don’t notice it at all 80% of the time. Tyre noise cancels it out. Makes the odd quirky overrun noise though.
Very quiet and confident descender too.

View attachment 127238
Can you take a close up pic of the S-Works please

I’ve had my third set from Indiprint, and they still haven’t done them the right size. I measured most of the letters, but they’ve still gone back a good few cm’s longer than I asked for.

They’re away to send me a 4th set.

Did you have to stick each letter on one at a time… and any tips for getting them on perfectly to cover the originals (which feel like they’re recessed into the frame).

I bought new invisiframe sections to fit back in place once I apply the decals.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I’ve had my third set from Indiprint, and they still haven’t done them the right size. I measured most of the letters, but they’ve still gone back a good few cm’s longer than I asked for.

I would walk away quickly from that company. I had to involve PayPal to get my money back when they repeatedly ignored my request for the stickers I paid for.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Can you take a close up pic of the S-Works please

Did you have to stick each letter on one at a time… and any tips for getting them on perfectly to cover the originals (which feel like they’re recessed into the frame).

I bought new invisiframe sections to fit back in place once I apply the decals.
I’ll get some close ups later. The sticker comes as one but it’s easy to cut them off and apply individually which is what I did.
Masking tape a straight line above and use that as your guide. The stickers are probably 1/2mm big but it looks just fine and I think they add this to your measurements so that it covers the originals. You can just make out the edges of the sticker underneath but it looks good. Almost makes the stickers look slightly 3D but very subtle.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I would walk away quickly from that company. I had to involve PayPal to get my money back when they repeatedly ignored my request for the stickers I paid for.
She’s sent me 3 attempts so far, and said a 4th will be with me this week. She accepts all responsibility for the mistakes - so far, I’ve just paid for 1 set of stickers.
I’m in Gran Canaria this week for the kids holidays, so won’t see them for another 10 days.

It’s a shame, because the colour is spot on. She never asked the size the first time, so they were WAY off. I sent all measurements, and it seems she hasn’t paid any attention to them and keeps sending different sizes (none of which are correct!).

I imagine the £25 I paid will have been eaten up in printing / postage costs already, so it must be costing her money now. You’d think that would be motivation to get it correct.

If attempt 4 is wrong too, then I’ll be trying a set from Speedy.
I finally got a reply from SLIK saying they don’t do Specialized frame graphics anymore…

“Unfortunately we don’t have graphics kits for Specialized frames available for sale.

We used to have access to the Specialized graphics catalogue but their artwork is configured in one size only, then adjusted for the various frame sizes in the factory.

So even with original art work we couldn't produce accurately sized kits to cover existing graphics. Hopefully it is something we will be able to offer in the future if they change their artwork.

Sorry we can’t help you out this time. Let us know if you have any other questions.”

LazyTrailRider

Oct 17, 2023
Cape Town, South Africa
I get a very annoying rattle/metallic clanking noise from the motor area. Nowhere near as silent as my old FF Levo. Is it just my bike or can you confirm that behavior?
Any input very much appreciated!
Mine has also developed a motor rattle after about 200km. It was dead silent over choppy stuff when new, but now rattles when on.

If I switch the assistance down to zero, it mostly disappears, which makes me think it’s the clutch (seeing as my feet are constantly slightly moving the cranks so engaging/disengaging even when not pedalling).

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Quite a few SL 2's appearing for sale now. I wonder if these are first time SL riders or if people are finding the new motor drinks battery quite heavily in the faster modes.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Quite a few SL 2's appearing for sale now. I wonder if these are first time SL riders or if people are finding the new motor drinks battery quite heavily in the faster modes.
I imagine it’s people riding with FF riders. Range extender would solve any other issue and give you a higher battery capacity than any other SL bike.
Saying that, the turnover of newish E-bikes is crazy.
If you ride with FF riders who run the bikes in turbo with low cadence, you’d never keep up.

David666

Aug 26, 2021
France
Hello All, I heard there could be a new battery with larger capacity thanks to new Kenevo SL arrival. Does someone have information about it ?

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Does anyone know the spec of the standard battery? It's presumably2 x 12 or 13 3300mAh 18650s or 2070(0)s
If so, how would you increase this? Going to 2170s maybe? Would there be space in the existing frame DT?

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
But if they are 18650s then 3300 is pretty much maximum. So you either need to add a whole extra bank of 12 cells or go to a larger cell.
I would agree, but that seems like a lot of work, unless you can reverse engineer their BMS, have a 3d printer to build a new housing, and just have a lot of time on your hands.

Seems like just buying 1 or even 2 battery extenders, from specialized, or even go aftermarket if you really want.
I would like to see offerings for more modular battery setups in our bikes that had the ability to utilize a half sized battery pack, but easily joining them together for a full sized battery unit. Also, there is a lot of space that is not utilized in our frame, that could allow for a few cells placed in different locations in the frame or even other components like BMS, in our chain stay, seat, top tube, steer tube, etc.
I think this would allow for more unique, possibly slimmer frame profiles, but in current profile provide options for traveling with ebikes, increasing range for long bike-packing adventures, possibly not utilize water bottle holder for current range extenders, etc. I mean think of what a carbon frame could look like if they weren't stuck using the same 2.5x2.5x12-16 rectangle battery packs.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I would agree, but that seems like a lot of work, unless you can reverse engineer their BMS, have a 3d printer to build a new housing, and just have a lot of time on your hands.

Seems like just buying 1 or even 2 battery extenders, from specialized, or even go aftermarket if you really want.
I would like to see offerings for more modular battery setups in our bikes that had the ability to utilize a half sized battery pack, but easily joining them together for a full sized battery unit. Also, there is a lot of space that is not utilized in our frame, that could allow for a few cells placed in different locations in the frame or even other components like BMS, in our chain stay, seat, top tube, steer tube, etc.
I think this would allow for more unique, possibly slimmer frame profiles, but in current profile provide options for traveling with ebikes, increasing range for long bike-packing adventures, possibly not utilize water bottle holder for current range extenders, etc. I mean think of what a carbon frame could look like if they weren't stuck using the same 2.5x2.5x12-16 rectangle battery packs.
I wasn't suggesting making our own packs. Just wondering if we can work out the plausibility of Specialized adding to the battery capacity in the new Kenevo SL.
If they are maxed out on the capacity of the cells and cant go to a bigger cell because of the tube size, then we can be pretty sure it wont happen. Going to a 3 x 12/13 cell configuration might be possible in larger frame sizes but personally I wouldn't want that. Going from 320Wh to 380Wh might be cool, but going all the way to 480Wh would probably ruin the bike with the extra weight and the weight being further forward.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I still think the bike and option of the range extender is the best option, certainly for me.
99% of my rides don’t consume the main frame battery, though most of my rides are trail set at 30/80 now. I never run it in Eco but sometimes use a bit of turbo, not every ride though. I work quite hard so get rewarded with a decent motor assist.
Weight/range will always be a compromise, and, where you ride(big mountains or not) will also determine what you buy or suits you. I don’t need any more than 50nm, in fact it’s probably too much for me. I average 2000-2300 feet of climbing and 20 miles. I have battery left.
In summary
I like the fact my bike is 17.5kg. I don’t want a 19kg + odd SL E-bike, it sort of defeats the object as it’s getting too close to full power weight.
Hopefully SL bikes with 50nm odd of power will weigh 16kg in a few years.
If Specialized surprisingly offered a bigger battery with no extra weight it’s a no brainer. If they offered a bigger one with a 1kg permanent weight gain, it would be a no from me as I would use it on only 1% of my rides.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
They weight as little as 12KG when made by Gustav Dangerholm :- ) And average enduro accoustic bike is 15kg now with solid tyres @ 29" wheels, even at S-Works prices.

But perhaps we'll all ride Pi-Rope wheelsets by then :- )

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
A wee update…

I’ve been away for the kids holidays in Gran Canaria. When I returned, there was a 4th set of graphics sitting on my desk at work from Indiprint.

When I measured them, they looked much more like the size I requested… so I was pretty hopeful.
I’ve been waiting for the weekend so that I can apply them in natural light, as trying to stick them ontop of the original black graphics (they’re actually built into the frame and recessed) would be very difficult in my dull garage.

This morning, the family are away out for a while, so I took the bike into my sun lounge where there was plenty of natural light. Popped it ontop of one of the kids tables rather than a workstand so that I could have it upside down… and then cut them out and stuck the letters on one by one. It took a bit of patience and care… but I’m really happy with the way it turned out. I can’t see any of the original black underneath… and although there are some minor imperfections (sticking a sticker ontop of recessed lettering is never going to be perfect), I think it’ll be spot on when I put my new Invisiframe sections on.

Yes, Indiprint made a balls of it - 3 times… but they owned their mistakes and tried again at no further costs to me. The timescale ended up being about 2 months in total… but we got there in the end.

Once I get my wheels etc on, I need to figure out if a Lyric and Super Deluxe graphic in the same colour would be too much!!

IMG_6263.jpeg

LazyTrailRider

Oct 17, 2023
Cape Town, South Africa
OK, so more on the rattle that has developed on my SL in the last 50km (it now has 300km on it). It was completely silent when new, but now when riding over even remotely bumpy terrain I get a rattle which is similar to the clicking sound when the clutch engages and disengages. Almost like the clutch is loose.

Will take it to the dealer in the next couple of days, but in the meantime, has anyone else heard this?

It was SO quiet for the first few rides from new, I told several people how eerily good it was 🫤

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
OK, so more on the rattle that has developed on my SL in the last 50km (it now has 300km on it). It was completely silent when new, but now when riding over even remotely bumpy terrain I get a rattle which is similar to the clicking sound when the clutch engages and disengages. Almost like the clutch is loose.

Will take it to the dealer in the next couple of days, but in the meantime, has anyone else heard this?

It was SO quiet for the first few rides from new, I told several people how eerily good it was 🫤

I’m sure they’ll warranty that. I guess you’ll always get the odd one go wrong., you’ve been the unlucky one. These Mahle motors are generally the most reliable.
Specialized Uk customer care is immense, hopefully the same wherever you are.
I’m loving this Gen 2 motor, a very good upgrade over the Gen 1.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles