Jul 13, 2023
United States
New bike day!
20230709_103409.jpg
20230709_103419.jpg 20230709_103544.jpg 20230709_103600.jpg

MarkE192

Aug 1, 2022
USA
Anybody here with levo sl 2 installed a superdeluxe coil? How did u like it? Pics pls if its an S3. Will it clear s3 with RE? Thanks in advance.

Bike handles so well but rear not keeping up with the fox 36... thinking of RS SD coil upgrade.

TIA
I too had trouble getting the bike balanced out. I went with the cheaper Bomber Cr and a progressive spring. This setup has been incredible for me. I am pretty confident that the RS with hydraulic bottom out and a straight rate spring will work just as good.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
After 2 years of heavy use of the Kenevo SL and 1.5 years of the Levo G3, the new SL is almost as quiet as the Levo FF.

Over a month with the PRO, 12 trips and the engine/noise improvement is fantastic.

At full load it's noisier than the FF, but not too loud.

The usage time at full load is short and the balance is very good!
I "need" to replace my wife's bike and am tossing up between the SL2 and Kenevo SL, anyone ridden them back to back want to offer an opinion? I guess the fact that my sons and myself might "borrow " it means we are leaning towards the KSL but I wonder if it is too much bike for every day use?

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I "need" to replace my wife's bike and am tossing up between the SL2 and Kenevo SL, anyone ridden them back to back want to offer an opinion? I guess the fact that my sons and myself might "borrow " it means we are leaning towards the KSL but I wonder if it is too much bike for every day use?
Unless she’s into very technical and steep trails the Levo SL is more suited. It’s also got the more powerful motor which will be a bit quieter. Both great bikes though.
The Levo SL is basically a very capable bike anyway. 150/160 travel so basically a Stumpy Evo with a motor.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I have ridden them side by side, don’t kid yourself into thinking there is more power in the new motor. Definitely much quieter and a different power delivery. KSL has more punch down low and then tapers where as the LSL 2 is very linear in delivery. Side by side drag, there is nothing in it.
The KSL is a chunk crusher but the LSL is no slouch, very nice rear end.
Honestly either ride is a weapon of a bike but if your not hitting enduro/DH trails your much better off with the LSL2. Its slightly lighter, shorter, more playful.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
That’s interesting. The MTBR test, which is pretty reliable, showed that the new SL climbed a one mile test climb 50 seconds quicker than the Gen 1 and that has the same motor as the KSL.
Maybe it’s just the feel that disguises that a bit.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
That’s interesting. The MTBR test, which is pretty reliable, showed that the new SL climbed a one mile test climb 50 seconds quicker than the Gen 1 and that has the same motor as the KSL.
Maybe it’s just the feel that disguises that a bit.
Interesting indeed, I tested two LSL2 bikes and logged their power outputs and both read slightly lower than my KSL.
My KSL has never been updated and I had one of the first ones for reference.
I still call BS on the update but that’s my findings.
I rode them in turbo only and switched back and forth between the ksl and lsl2 and noticed no difference apart from the power delivery. Brother confirmed exactly the same thing. He noticed a slight difference in eco and trail over the KsL but that could be an easy program hack.
There is 100% no difference in motor power or torque on the bikes I tested.
I was gutted as 50nm should be an immediately noticeable jump.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Interesting indeed, I tested two LSL2 bikes and logged their power outputs and both read slightly lower than my KSL.
My KSL has never been updated and I had one of the first ones for reference.
I still call BS on the update but that’s my findings.
I rode them in turbo only and switched back and forth between the ksl and lsl2 and noticed no difference apart from the power delivery. Brother confirmed exactly the same thing. He noticed a slight difference in eco and trail over the KsL but that could be an easy program hack.
There is 100% no difference in motor power or torque on the bikes I tested.
I was gutted as 50nm should be an immediately noticeable jump.
Maybe you have a couple of fast KSL’s!!
The gen2, by all accounts, is noticeably more powerful than the Fuel Exe which also claims 50NM.
I should have mine built very soon so will be able to compare the Gen 1 and Gen 2 LSL.

DomV

Jul 14, 2023
France
anybody try a 27.5 rear wheel but with the 29" flip cheap position and high shox position, to have longer chainstay , and how it affect geometry in this position?
any photo of this levo SL gen2 with spring shox ?
thanks

43ride

May 6, 2023
Wales
nice
Intend edge or flash in 170mm?
what spring rate and what is your weight?
external rear brake hose?
thanks
I bought Intend Edge but I received Flash (160mm of travel) so I decided to keep it - I had to test it straight away 😁

I weigh 83kg - spring rate 550
External rear brake because I had no time to install it properly and I also wasn't sure if I wanted to keep those brakes but they are great so I need to do this asap 😉👍
nice
Intend edge or flash in 170mm?
what spring rate and what is your weight?
external rear brake hose?
thanks

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
New wheel day! i9 E9 315’s in a 29” pair. Only 1735g including tape and valves, so bike should be about 200g lighter now!
I’ve added a few blue blingy bits - Magura caps, Wolftooth headset / spacers, DMR Deathgrips with blue collars.
My Rockshox Super Deluxe is away being retuned for this bike, but when I comes back perhaps some Rockshox graphics in blue for the fork / shock too.

The other thing I’m considering is seeing if I can get S-Works graphics in a light metallic blue foil.

Don’t want to go overboard though!!

IMG_4605.jpeg

IMG_4606.jpeg

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Some 4 rides with SL 2 in size S4. Perfect geo and a real fun bike to ride.
Feels like an analogue with some assistance.

I noticed even though its turned off it draws battery 2% during the day when not riding?

43ride

May 6, 2023
Wales
Some 4 rides with SL 2 in size S4. Perfect geo and a real fun bike to ride.
Feels like an analogue with some assistance.

I noticed even though its turned off it draws battery 2% during the day when not riding?
I have exactly the same problem

Screenshot_20230707_115853.jpg Screenshot_20230708_184700.jpg Screenshot_20230709_083932.jpg Screenshot_20230712_105244.jpg

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Apr 11, 2023
Japan
I have a Kenevo SL. It's really stable. I got pretty sketchy going down a high speed, washed out logging road and it handled it beautifully. I do not have that kind of stability on my Levo. But I do not like the Kenevo SL motor. 35 Nm is just not enough for me. I'm curious to ride the new Levo SL, though. Sounds like it is an improved bike.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I also heard that there is only a few SL 2 in circulation at dealers and won't come out until later this fall or next year as 24 model?

Re-tooling of a logo on a damper is the reason...or is the other problems like we notice?

There has been a rumour about KSL coming with a 400 W battery?
I heard that stock is going to be very sporadic. There will be some in the Autumn I believe and then some more early next year.
I was told that parts supply is still of a bit of an issue on some models hence some delays. This bike will run for the usual 2-3 years. I also think Specialized have so many unsold older models of many of their bikes that they don’t want a repeat of overstocking like they did post covid. They are not alone there though!
I was told that I have one of only about 10 odd S4 frame sets in the UK so far.
A KSL with the Gen 2 motor and bigger battery is probably likely next year I would imagine.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Anyone running the bike full 29er? I’m going to start that way as I think it will suit my riding better.
I just need to order another XX rainbow chain I think as in 29er mode it it’s likely to be 118 links. My new ‘take off’ chain is only 116.
Should then be riding later this week!!

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
Does anyone here own both the Levo and the Levo SL Gen 2? How do they compare - e.g., do you prefer the new Levo SL with the 50 Nm motor and lighter frame vs. the Levo?

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I don’t know how to make the comparison to the EXe. I had an EXe 9.8. It wasn’t a bad bike. Trek did a great job with both the design and execution of it. I think that the main reason for selling mine was a lack of a range extender as well.

The EXe beats the SL2 in 3 categories: it’s quieter, it’s cheaper, and it’s got a little better range. Unfortunately, those 3 things, to a varying degree, are not the key reasons that I make purchases. I’m not one of those guys that cares about motor noise, I already have 2 Specialized range extenders, and while price is important it’s not everything. For the same amount of money my EXe came with an XT drivetrain, XT brakes, carbon wheels, carbon cranks, & carbon bars. In that regard the Trek kicks the SLs ass.

I’m not a tall guy, 5’8”/173cm, but I felt that the Gen1 Levo SL was tiny and I had to ride a Large. My S3 Gen2 fits much better than a medium or Large Gen1. It’s very comfortable. It’s the first bike that I’ve bought in a long time that I could actually put a longer stem on.

I’m terms of the ride the new SL feels better to me than the EXe. The kinematic of the EXe kept you higher in the stroke which is a Trek thing while the SL has a better ride that puts you more into the bike. The Specialized also feels like the suspension is deeper….which technically it is! The EXe is by no means a bad bike but it does feel more traily even after you put a 10mm longer fork on it. My EXe came with Treks fancy 1 piece Carbon bar/stem and it was so stiff! It was unpleasant to hold onto. I can’t remember if that was a deal breaker or not but I do remember it.

The motors are also very different. In terms of power they are pretty close. The TQ is more torque rich down low at a slower cadence while the SLs motor likes to spool up and spin. I’m not sure which I would call more natural but most people would say the TQ because of how quiet it is but in all reality you’d have to pedal an acoustic bike faster to get more power so one could make a strong argument that the SL motor is more natural. Also not something that I care much about. The one thing about the old SL is that the motors were very reliable. I don’t care what anybody says the SL motor is the most reliable motor in an ebike. Even more so than the Bosch or Yamaha. Motor failures were/are incredibly rare. Most motor replacement issues with the SL were hardware issues like cranks. Treks TQ system has had some bugs.
thanks for this. Im a SL 1.0 owner, with deposit on a EXE 9.8. but after watiing for several months (distributor screwed up) im on the verge of getting a SL 2.0. Im a 175cm rider and i feel the same as you, truly comfortable on the S3 SL 2.0, while the L 1.0 felt a smidge cramped.
No SL motor has failed in my country since launched (levo is every week lol)

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Does anyone here own both the Levo and the Levo SL Gen 2? How do they compare - e.g., do you prefer the new Levo SL with the 50 Nm motor and lighter frame vs. the Levo?
I had the Levo Gen 3 Pro S5 before...as well as Orbea Rise XL.
The Levo Gen 3 was fun to ride in all-mountain but 1 size too big and got a bit to much SUV riding trails.

I just had the SL 2 for some days but it is perfect for trail riding. Today I had a 15 km ride during 1.5 hour with 300 meter climb. SL2 used 23% of battery in a ECO setting for 10 to 35% power.

If I just where riding mountain enduro with long climbs Levo Gen 3 would be a better choice.

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
I heard that stock is going to be very sporadic. There will be some in the Autumn I believe and then some more early next year.
I was told that parts supply is still of a bit of an issue on some models hence some delays. This bike will run for the usual 2-3 years. I also think Specialized have so many unsold older models of many of their bikes that they don’t want a repeat of overstocking like they did post covid. They are not alone there though!
I was told that I have one of only about 10 odd S4 frame sets in the UK so far.
A KSL with the Gen 2 motor and bigger battery is probably likely next year I would imagine.
Yes...so how many SL2 has actually been sold and are in use except demo bikes? 10-25-50-100 max....

Feels like we are early adopters and "beta" testers of the new platform though its just a SL Gen 1 with new firmware and some noise reduction. I talked to SP sales 1 and 2 years ago that said this.

I really like the SL 2 and its at least for me a very good...nearly perfect for trail. Riding de-tuned in ECO 80% of the time and some 20% in Trail.

The key issue will be how well the battery SL 1 320 W hold charge and usage when riding in Trail mode 40-60. I will keep notes of every charge and ride. Its "what" that has not been told in (professional) tests of SL 2 that might be the "elephant in the room".

It reminds me of when the MacBook Air was re-leased...it was underpowered but agile, portable that had the "appeal". It made me creative and productive. SL 2 feels similar and hopefully get fit :)

Maybe there will be a new SL 2 400 W battery replacement offered or a free extender as an upgrade to existing SL 2?
That would be good ESG and customer care action by Specialized...

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
Im just curious has anyone noticed lot more drag in off the old levo sl? New levo sl feels like i have anchor behind me when off🤐

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
Gen 3 is a good ebike, SL 2 is a Stumpjumper EVO with a clearly more powerful motor than the original SL (ECO and TRAIL) and also much quieter for 95% of the riding time.

I've sold the Gen 3, I'm going to sell the Kenevo SL. I think it is very difficult for me to buy a FF again. The new Levo SL is unbelievably fun!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles