Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

samwilk200

Oct 7, 2022
UK
Rode high speed chunky stuff today using full suspension travel and again the range extender disconnected. I would place the band higher but i still want it wrapped on the cage too.

Am i the only one experiencing this issue? I don’t use the cage for hydration so wishing there is a better mount for the RE with a dedicated mount

View attachment 118275
View attachment 118274
Sounds daft, but are you ensuring the plug is fully in. They seem to have 2 stages of insertion. Firstly locates the plug, then a much harder push to lock it in place.

Lloyders88

Jun 18, 2023
England
I have a big mtb event coming up this Sunday DRRr jurassic Jaunt, the epic route is about 30 miles and 4000ft of elevation.
Does anyone have any experience with Smart Control? I’m thinking of using it for the event but unsure of the accuracy of it.

afk314

Apr 22, 2023
Boise, ID
I'm curious about running my new SL as a 29er. I think I need to stretch out my bike a little bit since I have more lower back pressure on my S4 than I do on my L Epic Evo. I felt like I was between the S4 and S5 and opted for the smaller bike and knew there was some risk that I'd have to adjust. I'll probably start with a 50mm stem but I'm curious what I might expect from the 29" tire in the rear? Thanks for any advice!

samwilk200

Oct 7, 2022
UK
I'm curious about running my new SL as a 29er. I think I need to stretch out my bike a little bit since I have more lower back pressure on my S4 than I do on my L Epic Evo. I felt like I was between the S4 and S5 and opted for the smaller bike and knew there was some risk that I'd have to adjust. I'll probably start with a 50mm stem but I'm curious what I might expect from the 29" tire in the rear? Thanks for any advice!
29er rear wheel wont make the seated or standing riding position any longer as the length adjustment is in the chainstay.

afk314

Apr 22, 2023
Boise, ID
29er rear wheel wont make the seated or standing riding position any longer as the length adjustment is in the chainstay.
Yep, I assumed that - but I've seen numerous posts mention the 29er setup can be better for taller riders. If that is true, in what way is this accomplished?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

As Sam Wilk said, the larger rear tire and CS adjustment won't make your Levo SL any larger in the cockpit. I would say that the 29er slows down how quickly the bike reacts and turns making it feel larger on the trail (based on other bikes I've made this change with).

The true fix is a different size bike.

I've found that e-bikes have that nice weight up front making really short stems more practical. As such, I'd go larger not shorter. (yes, this is contrary to my first thoughts when I first got an e-bike just 6 weeks ago)

29ers tend to work well for taller riders just because 29ers have better roll over (for everyone) yet taller riders rarely have the rear tire to butt clearance issues that shorter riders have.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have a big mtb event coming up this Sunday DRRr jurassic Jaunt, the epic route is about 30 miles and 4000ft of elevation.
Does anyone have any experience with Smart Control? I’m thinking of using it for the event but unsure of the accuracy of it.
Tried it years ago and it actually worked really well. You need to input the distance and climbing accurately and once it works out you've been on an incline for several seconds it starts giving you a bit more help (it's obviously worked out how much to keep for that and lets you have it when you need it.) My only problem was that my phone battery went flat on the ride so I lost the smart control.

dan1987

Jun 4, 2023
York, UK
First ride yesterday and did 23 miles with 2080 feet of climbing, finished with 40% battery left (no range extender). Used 50% support and 50% power the whole time. I weigh 145lbs.
Did the same ride again on 60% support and 60% power the whole time, finished with 30% battery left - really happy with the range of the bike. 60% support was too much for me so I am going to try 55% support and 80% power next ride to see how that feels.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Did my first ride with the range extender. Ran mostly trail 40/70 few eco fire roads 30/30 did 4 hours and 28 miles! Was good day out very impressed with range extender.
IMG_8364.jpeg

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
After a few weeks riding the bike I can also say that I am pretty happy with the range even without the RE.
My sweet spot is eco 40/40 and trail 60/60. I almost never use turbo because I ride with friends on analog bikes.
Last sunday I rode 32km, 576m elevation gain at almost 13km/h average speed and came back with 50% battery (on flat road junctions I turned the bike off for approx 2km).

This GEN2 SL is a fantastic bike !

floski

Jan 2, 2019
Austria
Just came back from my 2nd ride on the new SL and loving it so far. Geometry wise very similar to my Stumpy Evo and also motor output more than enough for me.
Question for you guys:
That Mahle motor is supposed to be quiet on the descends isn't it? I get a very annoying rattle/metallic clanking noise from the motor area. Nowhere near as silent as my old FF Levo. Is it just my bike or can you confirm that behavior?
Any input very much appreciated!

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Just came back from my 2nd ride on the new SL and loving it so far. Geometry wise very similar to my Stumpy Evo and also motor output more than enough for me.
Question for you guys:
That Mahle motor is supposed to be quiet on the descends isn't it? I get a very annoying rattle/metallic clanking noise from the motor area. Nowhere near as silent as my old FF Levo. Is it just my bike or can you confirm that behavior?

got about 300 miles on mine, no noise going down from motor.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I haven't noticed any rattles etc. whist riding but if the chainring is rotated backwards whilst stationary, it's definitely makes a lot more noise than a FF Levo.

floski

Jan 2, 2019
Austria
yes i noticed that too. But the noise i am talking about is much more metallic and sort of a "clicking" one. Sorry can't describe it much better. Very strange, seems like i'm the only one getting that noise.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Question for you guys:
I have a rattle on mine as well, the Specialized boys said to bring it in if it continues.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Let us know if it continues. How many miles have you been on yours? Do you get that noise also while pedaling or only when going downhill?
Only going downhill and about 50 miles. Heard it loading my truck up today as well, but not really on the ride this time. Will keep an ear out and see if it comes back.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
I manged another 3 hour ride, 3298ft elevation, 19 miles, and this was without the range extender in the surrey hills. Its strange but it seems the battery is lasting a lot longer now I've done more rides, maybe its the weather or my cadence?

Finished with 18% left over

30% trail at 40/70
50% mastermind 40%
rest was eco (30/30)

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I manged another 3 hour ride, 3298ft elevation, 19 miles, and this was without the range extender in the surrey hills. Its strange but it seems the battery is lasting a lot longer now I've done more rides, maybe its the weather or my cadence?

Finished with 18% left over

30% trail at 40/70
50% mastermind 40%
rest was eco (30/30)
Good to hear. You have ridden where I live so I’m pleased to hear about the battery range around here.
My frame should be dispatched today, finally!!
Are you now keeping your Gen 2?

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Good to hear. You have ridden where I live so I’m pleased to hear about the battery range around here.
My frame should be dispatched today, finally!!
Are you now keeping your Gen 2?

Yeah keeping it now as ive been using it more than my enduro.

I had a bit of a bump and broke the Derailleur/hanger off which damaged all the seat stay, luckily specialized replaced it under warranty, i got a spare black one now but waiting for the painted version.

My surrey hills ride prior to this was 29 miles with RE.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Yeah keeping it now as ive been using it more than my enduro.

I had a bit of a bump and broke the Derailleur/hanger off which damaged all the seat stay, luckily specialized replaced it under warranty, i got a spare black one now but waiting for the painted version.

My surrey hills ride prior to this was 29 miles with RE.
Specialized warranty/customer care is second to none!

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
I'm not so sure about that - I think it's there to make sure the bottle cage doesn't 'open' when bouncing down the trail. That's where it's fitted in my owners manual too. The cable once correctly pressed in - should stay in place.
Some people, me included, have experienced cut off unless the rubber band is over the plug. I’m aware that Specialized photos show it around the cage. I still had problems recently even with the rubber band over the plug but since releasing the connection cable from its slot in the battery extender near the motor end, I have not experienced a reoccurrence. Something to do with vibration?

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Some people, me included, have experienced cut off unless the rubber band is over the plug. I’m aware that Specialized photos show it around the cage. I still had problems recently even with the rubber band over the plug but since releasing the connection cable from its slot in the battery extender near the motor end, I have not experienced a reoccurrence. Something to do with vibration?

Need to make sure its correct in its connection also. I've had times it seems connected at the plug and it hasnt been. I ride with mine with the band around the extender and never had it drop out on trail even doing steep descents, large jumps and drops.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
After a few weeks riding the bike I can also say that I am pretty happy with the range even without the RE.
My sweet spot is eco 40/40 and trail 60/60. I almost never use turbo because I ride with friends on analog bikes.
Last sunday I rode 32km, 576m elevation gain at almost 13km/h average speed and came back with 50% battery (on flat road junctions I turned the bike off for approx 2km).

This GEN2 SL is a fantastic bike !
My frame has finally been shipped and I’m told it will be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Fingers crossed.
I’m going to order some frame and fork decals to brighten it up a little.
Good to hear that you’re still loving it!

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I tried to get used to the new AXS Pod controller for shifting. I like the old controller better

If specialized can do a firmware update so a button on the Pod can connect to the TCU to toggle assist modes. Then I would use the other button to control the dropper…. (Left side)
IMG_6272.jpeg

Haha I must be doing something wrong here . Made sure cable was pressed all the way before the ride
IMG_6273.jpeg

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I tried to get used to the new AXS Pod controller for shifting. I like the old controller better

If specialized can do a firmware update so a button on the Pod can connect to the TCU to toggle assist modes. Then I would use the other button to control the dropper…. (Left side)
View attachment 119469

Haha I must be doing something wrong here . Made sure cable was pressed all the way before the ride
View attachment 119472
On my Gen 1 I used to ride mine with the rubber band actually over the plug. Never had an issue with the extender coming out or the plug coming out.
To be honest though, even when I forgot it a few times the cable never came unplugged.
Maybe I don’t do big enough jumps!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles