Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I'm going to have to go back and double check what my usual setting on my SL 1.1 was (pretty sure it was 30/80) and try and convert the number to the SL 1.2, as 20/80 feels much more powerful.

I might also tone down my trail setting for now so that there is an obvious difference between trail and turbo.

I wonder if doing the same 10 mile ride on Trail 60/80 and Turbo 100/100 would result in the same battery usage since they feel identical?

43ride

May 6, 2023
Wales
I've done 9 miles yesterday (first ride) Eco 35/35 , trail 60/60 and turbo 100/100.
Mostly on eco
I had 75% at the end of the ride
I have a few places with really steep hills and switching trail to turbo made no difference 🤔

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I feel like the engine might over-heat slightly easier perhaps with the double-wall enclosure?
What I've noticed with my KSL that once it gets to around 25+ C with sun outside, the engine drops to around 80perc. of its performance when climbing on turbo.
Perhaps just like Fazua limiting its max turbo for brief episode, that while Mahle doesn't make that limit in software, the engine nonetheless doesn't really keep up at its limit. The max turbo might also be just for brief climbs (or extended flats) and not full-ride.

The fact that stock turbo is 100/80 and not 100/100 might hint towards 100/100 being meant for micro-tune only.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I feel like the engine might over-heat slightly easier perhaps with the double-wall enclosure?
What I've noticed with my KSL that once it gets to around 25+ C with sun outside, the engine drops to around 80perc. of its performance when climbing on turbo.
Perhaps just like Fazua limiting its max turbo for brief episode, that while Mahle doesn't make that limit in software, the engine nonetheless doesn't really keep up at its limit. The max turbo might also be just for brief climbs (or extended flats) and not full-ride.

The fact that stock turbo is 100/80 and not 100/100 might hint towards 100/100 being meant for micro-tune only.

Nah, that's YOU struggling at perfectly normal temperatures. In Australia we find the performance drops around 40 c

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I'm riding in Scotland, where the temperature last night was about 11°C!!

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I’m going to disagree with some of you. I can definitely feel the difference between 75/75 & 100/100….even 100/80 & 100/100. Set at 100/100 you can see how fast the battery drains. No possible way that 75/75, or thereabouts is going to use the same as 100/100. It won’t even be close. I’ve also never noticed the power to drop off in the heat but, especially in 100/100, I have noticed the power drop after the battery goes below 50%. I think there is too much power draw from the motor for the 320wh battery. The bike feels especially lethargic when the range extender is half used up. All that being said, I weigh 90kg/200lb+. I’m going to ride the bike more in the next few weeks so that I can verify my initial impressions. I do find the new SL to be an upgrade over the old one in every way except for the battery. It’s among the best handling TRAIL bikes that I’ve ever ridden. It’s definitely better all around than the EXE that I had. It’s super capable for rough trail riding with big sends but when it comes to gnarlier enduro style DH riding I feel much more comfortable on my Levo. Maybe that will change when I finish the 29er conversion….I hate waiting for parts.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Good to hear that it’s a decent upgrade in so many ways I’ll probably run mine at 35/80 or 35/100 in trail most of the time. That’s what I do now so will notice the extra power. I can also have eco to mirror my old trail mode.
Turbo use will be very rare.
I actually prefer that the bike is lighter and doesn’t have a bigger battery. I do think they should all ship with a R/E though for those that use more battery. It’s covered off for all riders then.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
I weigh the same as you, during my last ride I did 19,15 miles with 1850ft elevation.
I used 40/40, 60/60, 100/100
Spent 80% on ECO, 17% on TRAIL and 3% TURBO which lead me using 65% of the battery.
I live in Europe and the bike cuts at 15,5mph from what I heard slower than US bikes but I guess it does not explain the differences we have in terms of range…
Anyone else ?
Are you still enjoying the bike as much and consider it a good upgrade over the Gen 1?
I get the odd moment of cold feet, only due to extra money it will cost me. They are only odd moments currently though 😂

comp29

Dec 14, 2022
Fremont, CA
I’m going to disagree with some of you. I can definitely feel the difference between 75/75 & 100/100….even 100/80 & 100/100. Set at 100/100 you can see how fast the battery drains. No possible way that 75/75, or thereabouts is going to use the same as 100/100. It won’t even be close. I’ve also never noticed the power to drop off in the heat but, especially in 100/100, I have noticed the power drop after the battery goes below 50%. I think there is too much power draw from the motor for the 320wh battery. The bike feels especially lethargic when the range extender is half used up. All that being said, I weigh 90kg/200lb+. I’m going to ride the bike more in the next few weeks so that I can verify my initial impressions. I do find the new SL to be an upgrade over the old one in every way except for the battery. It’s among the best handling TRAIL bikes that I’ve ever ridden. It’s definitely better all around than the EXE that I had. It’s super capable for rough trail riding with big sends but when it comes to gnarlier enduro style DH riding I feel much more comfortable on my Levo. Maybe that will change when I finish the 29er conversion….I hate waiting for parts.
could you expand on your comparisons between the sl 2 and the exe? also, agreed that there are noticeable differences between the 10% support increments.

ive tried both and im torn between the trek's better motor/sound/stealth look vs the sl 2's better handling. i found the exe feeling surprisingly stiff. also considering the pivot shuttle sl (but not the transition relay).

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Can anyone tell me if a hollow axle stand will work with the new motor / cranks?
Not specifically this one in particular, but this idea?

I know this wouldn't work with the old M30 cranks... but wondered if it would now that we're on DUB?

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
could you expand on your comparisons between the sl 2 and the exe? also, agreed that there are noticeable differences between the 10% support increments.

ive tried both and im torn between the trek's better motor/sound/stealth look vs the sl 2's better handling. i found the exe feeling surprisingly stiff. also considering the pivot shuttle sl (but not the transition relay).
It’s well worth watching the MTBR comparison by Francois.
The trek motor is a little quieter but appears to get a bit noisier over time. Not quite as powerful as the Gen 2 SL though.
Can’t go wrong with either to be honest having read up on it.
Both don’t look like e-bikes really but the Trek hides it better than the Levo SL.
Im not bothered about the stealth look though. Happy that people know I’m on an E-bike when I ride it.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
Can anyone tell me if a hollow axle stand will work with the new motor / cranks?
Not specifically this one in particular, but this idea?

I know this wouldn't work with the old M30 cranks... but wondered if it would now that we're on DUB?
No it won’t, neither crank arm has a cavity, both have captive retaining bolts, it’s a DUB interface but with stub axles on each side rather than the traditional DUB spindle.

Hope that makes sense.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
The trek motor is a little quieter but appears to get a bit noisier over time. Not quite as powerful as the Gen 2 SL though.
Both don’t look like e-bikes really but the Trek hides it better than the Levo SL.
Im not bothered about the stealth look though. Happy that people know I’m on an E-bike when I ride it.
Agree, great content on that channel, he has a new(er)channel called E-MTB Review for the more recent reviews 👍🏻

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I ordered an XX T-Type transmission groupset this morning. Out of stock everywhere, so shipping 16th June.
I prefer the look of the existing AXS controller... but will see how the new pod one works out.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I ordered an XX T-Type transmission groupset this morning. Out of stock everywhere, so shipping 16th June.
I prefer the look of the existing AXS controller... but will see how the new pod one works out.
After over 3 years using the original AXS controllers, initially I was not impressed with the new POD controllers. It was only after I went back to the original AXS controllers after using the PODs that I realised their key advantage. There is far less chance of an accidental gear change (knocking the controller etc.) and the switch has a far more positive feel. If you just pull the controller out the box and press button you might come to the conclusion that it feels too hard to push in comparison to the original controller.

I now like them so much, I also replaced the original Reverb controller with a POD.

For those of you in the UK, I see Tredz have transmission in stock in both X0 and XX.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
After over 3 years using the original AXS controllers, initially I was not impressed with the new POD controllers. It was only after I went back to the original AXS controllers after using the PODs that I realised their key advantage. There is far less chance of an accidental gear change (knocking the controller etc.) and the switch has a far more positive feel. If you just pull the controller out the box and press button you might come to the conclusion that it feels too hard to push in comparison to the original controller.

I now like them so much, I also replaced the original Reverb controller with a POD.

For those of you in the UK, I see Tredz have transmission in stock in both X0 and XX.

Tredz have 1 XX in stock, but at about £200 more than I've ordered it for.
Will have a hunt for a discount code... but it probably won't apply to that.

Do you have a POD at either side now - and does the dropper one have 2 buttons on it?

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire

Do you have a POD at either side now - and does the dropper one have 2 buttons on it?
Yes same PODs on both sides, it doesn't really matter that it has two buttons on the left side as I just program both buttons for the dropper.

I also prefer the feel of standard POD to POD Ultimate...

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I went XO as if I'm going to spend more money it has to have a tangible benefit beyond pure cosmetics.

I went XO as if I'm going to spend more money it has to have a tangible benefit beyond just cosmetic differences.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Yes same PODs on both sides, it doesn't really matter that it has two buttons on the left side as I just program both buttons for the dropper.

I also prefer the feel of standard POD to POD Ultimate...
What's the difference between the POD and POD Ultimate? I think it's the Ultimate that comes with the groupset?

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
What's the difference between the POD and POD Ultimate? I think it's the Ultimate that comes with the groupset?
They are identical apart from the front cover and buttons. POD ultimate comes with interchangeable convex and concave rubber buttons, regular POD has plastic buttons which I preferred.

You can change the front cover on POD standard to become POD ultimate for just over £20.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
They are identical apart from the front cover and buttons. POD ultimate comes with interchangeable convex and concave rubber buttons, regular POD has plastic buttons which I preferred.

You can change the front cover on POD standard to become POD ultimate for just over £20.

I can't find any discount codes for Tredz that work, so I guess I'll be waiting a couple of weeks. All the articles I've read have the XX slightly lighter than the X0 (only about 20g)... but the XX has the magic jockey wheel... which is pretty cool!
I'm getting the XX for £1346, with 3% cashback from Quidco (£25.24) and 1% on my Chase bank card (£13.46), so actual cost is £1307.30.

I'm hoping I can recoup something back for my XX1 AXS kit when I get the new one.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I can't find any discount codes for Tredz that work, so I guess I'll be waiting a couple of weeks. All the articles I've read have the XX slightly lighter than the X0 (only about 20g)... but the XX has the magic jockey wheel... which is pretty cool!
I'm getting the XX for £1346, with 3% cashback from Quidco (£25.24) and 1% on my Chase bank card (£13.46), so actual cost is £1307.30.

I'm hoping I can recoup something back for my XX1 AXS kit when I get the new one.
Any potential weight saving would be in the cranks which aren't relevant here. You really only pick XX over X0 due to the silver vs black finish, functionally they are identical. I think my X0 with discount came to around 1k. I got back approximately £500 from my old groupset. Was it worth it, no! Would I do it again, yes! :rolleyes:

comp29

Dec 14, 2022
Fremont, CA
agreed - it’s a useful resource, but it still left me with some questions. i’d like to know what other forum members think of going with either bike.

i will admit that if the trek didn’t have the new tq motor system, i would’ve went with specialized. after demoing both, the specialized feels like it handles better overall, but the trek’s motor is much more unobtrusive in both feeling and tonality. the trek’s assist at the cranks feels incredible and is the biggest thing holding me back against the spesh. there’s a review by “emtb videos” that better explains the tq feeling. it feels worth mentioning that my demo
spesh came with butcher t9’s front and rear, but the trek came with se5’s.

after talking with the shops, the specialized levo sl 2 comp will cost me almost exactly 1.2k more than the trek fuel exe 9.7 - similar specs.

california is still anti class-1 e-bike on most bike trails in my experience, and doesn’t seem to be letting up soon.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
Are you still enjoying the bike as much and consider it a good upgrade over the Gen 1?
I get the odd moment of cold feet, only due to extra money it will cost me. They are only odd moments currently though 😂
Honestly I enjoy it very much, the last thing I have not tested yet are real gnarly and steep terrains, but in June I am planning a trip in the Alps !
Btw I had cold feet also at some points but because I sold my gen 1 SL months ago I had plenty enough time to «convince» myself 😂

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Can someone please provide a link or info on shorter crank that I can get to replace the 170mm that it came with. Thanks!
Specialized Part Numbers:

Crank ArmAlloy Arms:
  • S211600036 - 165mm
  • S211600037 - 170mm
  • S211600038 - 175mm
Carbon Arms:
  • S211600039 - 165mm
  • S211600040 - 170mm
  • S211600041 - 175mm

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
After 3 or 4 rides of tweaking my suspension I think I’ve got it nailed. But I’ve just made an interesting discovery. In lieu of the SL 2 not being in the Specialized suspension calculator, I tried using the the 2021 S-Works Stumpjumper Evo, figuring apart from a small amount of additional weight, the geo, kinematic and components are almost identical.

Sure enough, using that bike the calculator spits out my exact settings. Might just be a fluke but give it a go.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
Specialized Part Numbers:

Crank ArmAlloy Arms:
  • S211600036 - 165mm
  • S211600037 - 170mm
  • S211600038 - 175mm
Carbon Arms:
  • S211600039 - 165mm
  • S211600040 - 170mm
  • S211600041 - 175mm
I am also interested in 165mm carbon crankarms. Are we sure the listed part no's are for the current SL2 and Sram DUB interface? Anybody found a source to purchase these ?

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I am also interested in 165mm carbon crankarms. Are we sure the listed part no's are for the current SL2 and Sram DUB interface? Anybody found a source to purchase these ?
Well it's from the Frameset assembly instructions...

1685116789859.png

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Has everyone had their bike supplied with a SRAM x-sync 2 eagle chainring? Asking as this chainring is not supposed to be compatible with Transmission according to SRAM.

1. Eagle Transmission T-Type chainrings are compatible with Eagle chains, so they can be used on Eagle Drivetrains when mounted to an Eagle Transmission crankset. However, Non-T-Type Eagle Drivetrain chainrings are incompatible with Eagle Transmission T-Type chains.

Specialized now have the correct chainring listed on their website but they don't seem to be available anywhere...

ChainringS231400001CHR TURBO, 32T, T-TYPE 12-SPD, 4-BOLT, 104BCD, 1X RING, ALLOY, SRAM (00.6218.040.010)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles