Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Has anyone in the UK seen the colour of the S-WORKS Frameset, there are pictures floating around online of it in silver, but all of the online listing for it in the UK list it as “Satin Carbon/Black Chrome Foil/Silver Dust” same description as the black S-WORKS build?
Are they definitely bringing in the frameset option? I can’t see it on the UK website
Yeah it’s listed with a few retailers already but not on the UK specialized site.
I know it's a stupidly long thread full of fairy tales, but for your own knowledge it's worth reading back a few pages : at least until after release and then it's only semi fairy tale ! :) Page 38 ish, link to a UK frame question( hover over a user name to know where they're from) :

Reactions: RAG

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
I know it's a stupidly long thread full of fairy tales, but for your own knowledge it's worth reading back a few pages : at least until after release and then it's only semi fairy tale ! :) Page 38 ish, link to a UK frame question( hover over a user name to know where they're from) :

Thanks for the link, looks like the mystery continues 😂

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Thanks for the link, looks like the mystery continues 😂
My shops system updated to list it as "Satin Carbon/Black Chrome Foil/Silver Dust".
I was excited by the silver pictures... and am not so enthusiastic about black! I already have a black SL, and was hoping the frame only was going to be the white one for a change. When someone posted the silver one, I was chuffed!
The silver one was definitely the '23 model as it has the same graphics at the back as well as the LEVO SL text on the seat tube.

Since then, Leisure Lakeland Bikes have removed the images on their website (they had 3 different angles of the silver one) and substituted with "coming soon"... and the Concept Store has done the same. The Australian Specialized site that had the frame only listed has removed it completely.

I guess we'll find out when someone gets one! Mine is due on the 20th apparently.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I don't think I have seen him review something he doesn't gush on about how wonderful is.

Have you ever seen a review of anything that doesn't gush on about how wonderful it is?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I use to ride MX a bit with a magazine tester and he was pretty honest, without being derogatory. And there are a lot fewer brands on that side.

You're about to hear some mildly negative reviews on the Levo SL as several reviewers have subtly mentioned the short CS length, including PB, effecting optimal chassis balance. The reviewers in tune with their rides on sizes S4 and up will notice more of course.

Only Rob & Francis seem stoked on that 'feature'.

Expect to hear about the slack sta as well.

But it's true that they'll never tear the performance of any bike completely apart and are always a bit more subtle in their criticism. However, if you read carefully, it's not hard to spot trends over several reviews.

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I use to ride MX a bit with a magazine tester and he was pretty honest, without being derogatory. And there are a lot fewer brands on that side.

You're about to hear some mildly negative reviews on the Levo SL as several reviewers have subtly mentioned the short CS length, including PB, effecting optimal chassis balance. The reviewers in tune with their rides on sizes S4 and up will notice more of course.

Only Rob & Francis seem stoked on that 'feature'.

Expect to hear about the slack sta as well.

But it's true that they'll never tear the performance of any bike completely apart and are always a bit more subtle in their criticism. However, if you read carefully, it's not hard to spot trends over several reviews.
Agreed you need to tune into the subtle comments, pauses and camera shots of riding. For example on the guykes video he shows a levo pootling off into the distance on one of the climbs using boost mode whilst he’s putting in a shift in.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Agreed you need to tune into the subtle comments, pauses and camera shots of riding. For example on the guykes video he shows a levo pootling off into the distance on one of the climbs using boost mode whilst he’s putting in a shift in.
That’s not a comparison or criticism though. We all know they are different bikes with different power and strengths. Some people like to work more on a climb, others like to be passengers. Each are fine.
The short chainstays and mullets are definitely a preference and some reviewers rightly point this out. Personally I think I’d prefer it 29er but I guess I’d need to ride it first.
Most testers won’t bite the hand that feeds them though. As with everything, one persons best bike ever can be a dog for someone else. Horses for courses.

Last edited:

teapeaage

Jun 6, 2021
polandia
I'm debating whether to change my 2020 Levo SL (bought it in 2021 but it was heavily discounted). Maybe you guys can help me out?

I don't really need a stronger motor, but I feel like the shock upgrade (DPS to Float X), a 160mm fork, the Mullet setup, the shorter chainstay and slacker head tube would help me charge some of the steeper parts of the trails I ride. I usually ride around small (2-3 min) descents, with multiple laps, lots of bands but also some natural terrain. I'll only occasionally go to the mountains. Feel like this one will have improved agility and steep trails handling. Got a nice deal offered on the new models from my LBS (15% off)

Any thoughts? :)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Which one did you order?
I ordered an S4 frame only - but it seems a mystery just now as to which colour the frameset is going to be. There were pictures of a silver one, but they all seem to have been removed, and now all codes would suggest its going to be black.

teapeaage

Jun 6, 2021
polandia
I ordered an S4 frame only - but it seems a mystery just now as to which colour the frameset is going to be. There were pictures of a silver one, but they all seem to have been removed, and now all codes would suggest its going to be black.
Are you switching from 1gen levo sl or from a levo?

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
I'm debating whether to change my 2020 Levo SL (bought it in 2021 but it was heavily discounted). Maybe you guys can help me out?

I don't really need a stronger motor, but I feel like the shock upgrade (DPS to Float X), a 160mm fork, the Mullet setup, the shorter chainstay and slacker head tube would help me charge some of the steeper parts of the trails I ride. I usually ride around small (2-3 min) descents, with multiple laps, lots of bands but also some natural terrain. I'll only occasionally go to the mountains. Feel like this one will have improved agility and steep trails handling. Got a nice deal offered on the new models from my LBS (15% off)

15% sounds like an excellent deal for a brand new model. Wish I could find the same deal in the UK.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
15% sounds like an excellent deal for a brand new model. Wish I could find the same deal in the UK.
I got 15% off my original Levo SL on the launch weekend. Sadly, the shop weren't prepared to discount the '23 frame only at all. I managed to get a store gift card as a trade off though... but nothing like 15%!!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
For anyone who has ordered or intending ordering a frame only... I emailed Leisure Lakes Bicycles, who had various pictures of the silver frameset up on Thursday / Friday, and now have "Image coming soon".
Here is their reply... I'm a bit gutted.

Hey Peter,

I have looked into this now for you and unfortunately Specialized released the wrong picture of the frameset. The actual colour of the frame will be the colour of the one in the link below.

Specialized Levo SL S-Works Carbon Electric Bike 2023 Satin Carbon/Brushed Black Chrome Foil/Silver Dust

Please accept our apologies for any confusion.

Last edited:

Falconjet

Jan 29, 2022
South of France

Hello,

Yes it seems a good option for you 👍. I like the “small” improvements and only regret that the battery had no upgrade… But I really consider buying one shortly

43ride

May 6, 2023
Wales
How tall are you ?
Thanks

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
How tall are you ?
Thanks
6ft 1 and a half! I've been on an XL Levo SL for the last 3 years and was previously on a L Stumpy.
I regretted getting the XL after a few weeks, as it's just too big for me.
I'm on the edge of S4 and S5... but I believe the new SL has more reach, so I went with S4 to have it more like my Stumpy.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
For anyone who has ordered or intending ordering a frame only... I emailed Leisure Lakes Bicycles, who had various pictures of the silver frameset up on Thursday / Friday, and now have "Image coming soon".
Here is their reply... I'm a bit gutted.

Hey Peter,

I have looked into this now for you and unfortunately Specialized released the wrong picture of the frameset. The actual colour of the frame will be the colour of the one in the link below.

Specialized Levo SL S-Works Carbon Electric Bike 2023 Satin Carbon/Brushed Black Chrome Foil/Silver Dust

Please accept our apologies for any confusion.
Thanks for confirming, I had the same confirmed this morning by concept store but placed the order anyway as I'm quite happy with the black 👍🏻

Now just need to confirm that it comes with the range extender... but its supposed to be arriving tomorrow so I'll know soon enough!

43ride

May 6, 2023
Wales
6ft 1 and a half! I've been on an XL Levo SL for the last 3 years and was previously on a L Stumpy.
I'm on the edge of S4 and S5... but I believe the new SL has more reach, so I went with S4 to have it more like my Stumpy.
Thank you for your response
I just bought one in size s3 (the frameset)
I am 5ft 11" and I am not sure about the size ...
I've got kenevo sl s3 and levo gen3 s4 both are great but this new levo sl according to the website has the shortest reach of all of them 🤔

43ride

May 6, 2023
Wales
I've got kenevo sl s3 and levo gen3 s4 both are great but this new levo sl according to the website has the shortest reach of all of them
Thanks for confirming, I had the same confirmed this morning by concept store but placed the order anyway as I'm quite happy with the black 👍🏻

Now just need to confirm that it comes with the range extender... but its supposed to be arriving tomorrow so I'll know soon enough!
Mine should arrive tomorrow as well 👍

Reactions: RAG

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
As a guy who owns the new SL I want to say that while I love the bike it does have some shortcomings. I agree with Suns_psd, the bike is most definitely a solid trail bike. It’s not the best climber and on the really steep chunky stuff I’d rather be on my gen3 Levo. Also, battery range with the the power turned all the way up is terrible. I bought the bike knowing that I’d need to use battery extenders which I have 2 of. Again, I love the bike but if I could only have 1 ebike the new SL wouldn’t be it. If you’re a trail rider and you’re already in good shape but want to try an ebike the SL is for you. The suspension is absolutely next level but it’s definitely not a do it all kinda bike. The new motor is very quiet. If anyone is concerned about noise- don’t be.

I just wanted to add some honest feedback that’s not all positive as a guy who owns several e-bikes. There’s no perfect bike. So, when you see the professional reviews take some of what they say with a grain of salt. This new bike really is next level but, depending on how you look at it, Specialized had to make some compromises….or they went all in on building the ultimate trail bike while leaving plenty of space for the KSL.

The next big test is how the bike performs as a 29er. As soon as I can get a new set of Roval Traverse carbon wheels I’ll be sure to try it out.

I hate the Blaze color. WTF Specialized? I wanted the bike bad enough that I took what I could get but I might take the hit and buy a different color when they are available again.

Falconjet

Jan 29, 2022
South of France
I've got kenevo sl s3 and levo gen3 s4 both are great but this new levo sl according to the website has the shortest reach of all of them

Mine should arrive tomorrow as well 👍
Size should be ok for you 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles