Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
What sort of timeline is realistic for a 15% discount? End of 2023?

I really like the Pro, but I think I can only stomach it with that level of discount given the small battery.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France
I based it on the old Levo comp suspension set up. Rear felt good front needs about 10psi dropped. I also own a gen 3 Levo and the difference in handling is insane.
Thanks ! Still I hope they will deliver fine tuned suspension setup as the geo is all new !

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Lots of adjustment is a big plus.

A fixed battery, not really much quieter (and apparently making it quieter was only an afterthought – see Loamwolf report on YouTube), and an (for me) uninspiring frame format ( … totally subjective of course) are all deal killers for me … it may ride great, but I am really happy with my ‘coming any day now’ Trek Fuel EXe choice.
I was between the two but the trek seems to be plagued with motor problems at the moment. With a good dealer on my doorstep the Levo sl got my money. The Levo is also a lot lighter than the trek. I’d def say demo both if you can.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Is the battery really not removable? One of the advantages of the KSL was being able to fly with it and just use a range extender.
I think the battery will be removable, just not quick swappable, it will be motor half off same as the old one.

I doubt that the efficiency is significantly better than the old one, the old one seems really good to me, possibly more efficient at 240W but that's not what I care about, efficiency at 100W or so is where it matters to me and if it's a more powerful motor then that may have suffered.

Very interested in better motor sealing, lower noise, more crank length choice (?) and the Mastermind TCU though.

If the motor really does fit in the old Levo SL and if Specialized offered an upgrade package of the Mastermind TCU and the new motor then I would be very interested.
I feel like this would be a great thing for them to do, would help shift the remaining stock of the old bikes and reassure potential purchasers of the new bikes that a similar thing might happen down the line with other models. Much more likely to drop thousands on a bike if it seems like it wont be obsolete in a couple of years and could instead be "refreshed" to be closer to the latest and greatest.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I'd also like to see a range extender battery in a different shape/format. Seems to me like you could make a range extender to hang under the DT which would put the weight lower and allow you to keep the water-bottle.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I'd also like to see a range extender battery in a different shape/format. Seems to me like you could make a range extender to hang under the DT which would put the weight lower and allow you to keep the water-bottle.
If they made the range extender like the old style Ebike batteries that just attached to the frame on their own mount instead of using the bottle mount it would be preferable.
1683244157593.png

Maybe not ideal having the weight up high in this instance but you could design the frame around it, so it was lower.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
If they made the range extender like the old style Ebike batteries that just attached to the frame on their own mount instead of using the bottle mount it would be preferable. View attachment 113584
Maybe not ideal having the weight up high in this instance but you could design the frame around it, so it was lower.

A bottle range extender is perfect - there are so many off the shelf alternatives for carting bottle sized objects on a bike.

TQmotorguy

Apr 8, 2023
California
I think the battery will be removable, just not quick swappable, it will be motor half off same as the old one.

I doubt that the efficiency is significantly better than the old one, the old one seems really good to me, possibly more efficient at 240W but that's not what I care about, efficiency at 100W or so is where it matters to me and if it's a more powerful motor then that may have suffered.

Very interested in better motor sealing, lower noise, more crank length choice (?) and the Mastermind TCU though.

If the motor really does fit in the old Levo SL and if Specialized offered an upgrade package of the Mastermind TCU and the new motor then I would be very interested.
I feel like this would be a great thing for them to do, would help shift the remaining stock of the old bikes and reassure potential purchasers of the new bikes that a similar thing might happen down the line with other models. Much more likely to drop thousands on a bike if it seems like it wont be obsolete in a couple of years and could instead be "refreshed" to be closer to the latest and greatest.
It couldn’t hurt if we email specialized support with our motor upgrade hopes, and emphasize how that would insure brand loyalty in the future. I’ll do that right now.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
A bottle range extender is perfect - there are so many off the shelf alternatives for carting bottle sized objects on a bike.
You would still have the bottle cage, for a bottle or any other thing you wanted to put in there but the range extender battery would mount somewhere different. Kind of like having your cake and eating it. ;)

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Awesome thanks 👍, are the splines on the motor for the cranks the same on the SL and full fat turbo, just wondering if my hope cranks will fit that I have fitted to my FF 22 levo ??
Also do you get a headset if you buy just the frame??

Regards 🤟
I can’t see the frame only anywhere… but my shop can get one in 2 weeks. They weren’t sure it that’d be the white or black S-Works frame… but from the look of it, it’ll be silver!
I assume the headset comes with the frame as it has the adjustable cups.

Krgolob

Jul 15, 2019
Slovenia
I'm confused a little bit. Who is this SL for? DH shredder? Nope. So trail and uphill with epic climbs? But with that short chainstay, 27.5 wheel, relatively slack seat tube and KSL-like head tube angle? Several reviews mentioned poor (technical) climbs capability. Also advertised with your butt hanging on rear 27.5 wheel on your way down. So it is more enduro than trail?

Where does that leave KSL? Or even classic Levo?

ghoststalker

Apr 26, 2023
Germany
I'm confused a little bit. Who is this SL for? DH shredder? Nope. So trail and uphill with epic climbs? But with that short chainstay, 27.5 wheel, relatively slack seat tube and KSL-like head tube angle? Several reviews mentioned poor (technical) climbs capability. Also advertised with your butt hanging on rear 27.5 wheel on your way down. So it is more enduro than trail?

Bikes should not be reduced to isolated geometry aspects. It's the whole picture and the riding style that makes it that kind of bike you want. 20 years ago this would have been a downhiller, 10 years ago this would have been called enduro bike (the trek slash used to have 160/150 @29). Test it if you can and find out if it is fine for you.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

They say it's a trail bike - repeatedly.

Don't forget you can adjust the flip chip on the shock mount to raise the rear and steepen the front by half a degree. You can also use three different head angles (6 if you factor in the rear flip chip setting).

There's also another flip at the end of the chainstay where you can lengthen the chainstay by 11 mm.

It leaves the KSL where it was and the Levo where it was ? It's just a more flexible SL.

ghoststalker

Apr 26, 2023
Germany
There is a suggestion that the new motor is more efficient, but I think this is just down to them re-tuning the support modes slightly.

They say they've re-tuned Trail 75% Support/80% Peak power and Turbo 100% support/80% peak modes, so this maybe where the extra "efficiency" comes from. Eco remains the same as previously at 35% support/35% peak power. If you want to use all the new power which is available, you'll need to up peak power to 100%.
According to Francis review it is more efficient when you demand 240 watts. I think it is just like the ep801 rs which is more efficient since you only demand 60 nm instead of 85.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
There is a suggestion that the new motor is more efficient, but I think this is just down to them re-tuning the support modes slightly.

They say they've re-tuned Trail 75% Support/80% Peak power and Turbo 100% support/80% peak modes, so this maybe where the extra "efficiency" comes from. Eco remains the same as previously at 35% support/35% peak power. If you want to use all the new power which is available, you'll need to up peak power to 100%.
mine came with everything at /100 not sure if this is stock or my dealer set it. Done roughly an hour riding yesterday 12/14 miles had 59% left.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
nearly all trail set as it came which was 80/100 and a bit of turbo 100/100 was on a tight time limit so this was my choices. I'll try my next ride fully in eco 30/100 as this is how i use to ride my old SL. If range becomes a issue i will start tweaking a bit more.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I can’t see the frame only anywhere… but my shop can get one in 2 weeks. They weren’t sure it that’d be the white or black S-Works frame… but from the look of it, it’ll be silver!
I assume the headset comes with the frame as it has the adjustable cups.

its on the concept store, no pics (but sure there was a pic yesterday, colour was silver/white I think)

1683274298019.png

1683274311692.png

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
This is my base line. This was last year on my KSL used 150% almost. That’s the full bike and one extender. I had a second extender but didn’t need to use it. I pick the levo SL up Saturday I don’t think range will be an issue but will be good to see if I can match the KSL.
3744006D-34D4-4246-945B-7B8D9D80951F.jpeg

c0stunga

Apr 12, 2023
Germany

I agree that it brings the bike closer to the KSL and other bikes in their product range.
The new flexibility is a great upgrade. But I would have prefered when it still was stock 29"/29".
I'm pretty sure we will see the option to order it with 29 in front and back soon.

With all the geo change options it can be the perfect choice for same people as the old Levo SL. But it is advertised and shipped to target other riders.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles