Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
That’s weird that you’re having issues with the extender coming out or the cable coming unplugged. I’ve never had mine fly out and I don’t even bother with the rubber band. If it’s in correctly the indentations on the extender body should lock it into the cage. I’ve definitely never had the cable come off. When I say that I’m not just talking about my new SL, I’m also saying the same things about the gen 1 SLs I’ve had.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
Ok so I officially have no will power, SRAM XX Transmission fitted as final part of my LSL 2 frameset build.

IMG_2771.jpeg

I’m really impressed with the shifting, coming from XX1 AXS I was concerned it would only be an incremental upgrade but it’s genuinely worthy of the hype! As some of the reviews have mentioned, it’s really quiet when peddling, I didn’t really think my XX1 was noisy but this really is silent when peddling.

I’m even impressed with the pod, I had planned on using my old controller but you can get the pod in a much better position under the bar, and as others have said, it’s way more tactile.

It’s also super simple to fit, took me an hour start to finish and I took my time, especially when breaking the £135 chain!

For anyone on the fence about this, like I was, if you can look past the cost (which granted is easier said than done!) go for it, it’s a truly impressive bit of kit.

Last edited:

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Ok so I officially have no will power, SRAM XX Transmission fitted as final part of my LSL 2 frameset build.

View attachment 116633

I’m really impressed with the shifting, coming from XX1 AXS I was concerned it would only be an incremental upgrade but it’s genuinely worthy of the hype! As some of the reviews have mentioned, it’s really quiet when peddling, I didn’t really think my XX1 was noisy but this really is silent when peddling.

I’m even impressed with the pod, I had planned on using my old controller but you can get the pod in a much better position under the bar, and as others have said, it’s way more tactile.

It’s also super simple to fit, took me an hour start to finish and I took my time, especially when breaking the £135 chain!

For anyone on the fence about this, like I was, if you can look past the cost (which granted is easier said than done!) go for it, it’s a truly impressive bit of kit.
Where did you manage to find it in stock?! I've got to wait until June 16th for mine 🙄

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
Where did you manage to find it in stock?! I've got to wait until June 16th for mine 🙄
Tredz… managed to get a token 50 quid off using a promo.

Just need to find a home for the 36T chainring it came with!

I’m pretty sure you’ll find it will have been worth the wait 👍🏻

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

You used the original 34T chain ring presumably?

I understand the Eagle chain rings play nicely with the Transmission chain?

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
You used the original 34T chain ring presumably?

I understand the Eagle chain rings play nicely with the Transmission chain?
Yeah just used the 32t that comes with the frameset, max size for this bike 34t so the 36t is not compatible.

The SL2 ships with a backward compatible chainring that works with T Type 👍🏻

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I saw it in stock at Tredz last week, but waiting made it about £200 cheaper.

I had a 34T on my previous SL, and would ideally like the same again. I felt like the 32T made me up in the higher gears more often.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
I saw it in stock at Tredz last week, but waiting made it about £200 cheaper.

I had a 34T on my previous SL, and would ideally like the same again. I felt like the 32T made me up in the higher gears more often.
Pretending I didn’t read that first paragraph 😂

Yeah I reckon 34t is the way to go, really odd that they’re shipping the 104bcd kit with a 36t!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Pretending I didn’t read that first paragraph 😂

Yeah I reckon 34t is the way to go, really odd that they’re shipping the 104bcd kit with a 36t!
SRAM reckon that increasing the chainring size by two teeth results in 50% less drivetrain wear!

The steel ring that is included with the groupset is not compatible with the SL, not just because it's 36T but also due to the design. It works with the regular Levo though.

As with the Gen 1 SL, SRAM make the alloy chainring specifically for light powered EMTB. It was available in 30T and 32T (94 BCD) for Gen 1 SL so hopefully it was also be available in 34T (104 BCD) for Gen2 SL...

• Helpful
Reactions: RAG

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Can some of the owners of the new SL post their size, specs and weight and if the pedals are included in that weight?

Thanks.

dan1987

Jun 4, 2023
York, UK
Can some of the owners of the new SL post their size, specs and weight and if the pedals are included in that weight?

Thanks.
S-Works S3 frame
Fox 36
DT Swiss 240 EXP with XM481
Minion DHR2 2.4 EXO+ front and back tubeless no inserts
Full XTR groupset with the SRAM cranks from the frame set
Hope gravity stem
OneUp bars
OneUp seatpost
Hope F22 pedals
Ergon seat and grips

Weighs 39.1 lbs including pedals.

First ride yesterday and did 23 miles with 2080 feet of climbing, finished with 40% battery left (no range extender). Used 50% support and 50% power the whole time. I weigh 145lbs.

Really impressed with the geometry of the bike and how natural the assistance is. Coming from a carbon Orbea Rise I am finding the SL2 better in all the ways I want.

gts66

Apr 5, 2023
France

Thanks.
Sworks S5 with all accessories (mud guard, swat tool…) tubeless, with crankbrothers mallet 11 and foam specialized grips.
Weight : almost 18kgs

Incoming weight savings (mostly for pleasure) remove the swat tool, replace bottle holder with Carbon version, remove mud guard.
I don’t see any other easy weight savings!

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
S-Works S3 frame
Fox 36
Hope gravity stem
OneUp bars
OneUp seatpost
Hope F22 pedals
Ergon seat and grips

First ride yesterday and did 23 miles with 2080 feet of climbing, finished with 40% battery left (no range extender). Used 50% support and 50% power the whole time. I weigh 145lbs.

Really impressed with the geometry of the bike and how natural the assistance is. Coming from a carbon Orbea Rise I am finding the SL2 better in all the ways I want.
Good to hear that the bike lives up to the reviews.. Decent range and support too.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
S-Works S3 frame
Fox 36
Hope gravity stem
OneUp bars
OneUp seatpost
Hope F22 pedals
Ergon seat and grips

switching from the rise, what are the positive and negative differences with the SL2…

dan1987

Jun 4, 2023
York, UK
switching from the rise, what are the positive and negative differences with the SL2…
For me the main positives are:
  • The mullet set up and slacker head angle suits me much better, I found the bike much more fun to ride (I am 5 foot 8)
  • It feels a lighter bike on the trail, my rise weighed 43 lbs so it is about 10% lighter
  • The S3 fits me perfectly
  • I found the assistance much more natural on the SL2, the rise always felt quite on/off. I found the motor encouraging me to work more and stay in a harder gear vs the Rise encouraging me to change to an easier gear or use a higher support mode
  • It is more efficient than the Rise, for my 23 mile 2080 feet climbing ride both finished on 40% battery despite the SL2 having a smaller battery
  • I found the frame a better quality product, the cable routing and ports etc. were just a higher quality. It was much easier to build the SL2
  • The TCU is great and I much prefer not having to use a Garmin now like I did on the Rise
Negatives
  • I found the motor as loud as the Shimano RS one, it just doesn’t have the annoying rattle
  • It is a low bike, I had more pedal strikes than usual
  • The 34.9 seat tube is a bit of a pain and needing to use a shim
Overall I am really happy with the SL2 and glad I made the change.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I rode @JetSetDemo's S4 SL2 Comp on Saturday. As far as I know, it's stock apart from MY23 Lyrics and GX AXS. I ride a burly build S3KSL for reference, older Lyrics with a coil, a DVO coil shock and Pro 4 Hubs/EX511 wheels with Assegai and DHR2 tyres.

First impression was it's light! Like really light. It's quIeter than I expected, although it's only whisper quiet if you're Foghorn Leghorn...
I rode it down a trail I know really well and it took off like a scalded cat. It wasn't as composed as the KSL over the bumps and jumps, with the Float X shock not having enough rebound damping. The Lyrics were excellent, but not as smooth off the top as my Smashpot kitted forks. One thing that did surprise was the steering, on a particularly sharp corner with a fast but very rough run in the SL2 was slower steering than my KSL.
I also did a smooth but steep single track climb on both bikes; my heart rate was actually a few beats higher on the SL2 but I got to the top much faster than on the KSL.

In conclusion; it's a very nice bike and for most of my riding it would probably be enough bike, but I think the KSL has the edge when things get rowdy.
Would I buy one? If I didn't have and hadn't ridden a KSL, then probably, yes I would. As it stands, the KSL is a hell of a bike for the money and it's what I'd buy right now if pushed to make a decision.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Sworks S5 with all accessories (mud guard, swat tool…) tubeless, with crankbrothers mallet 11 and foam specialized grips.
Weight : almost 18kgs

Incoming weight savings (mostly for pleasure) remove the swat tool, replace bottle holder with Carbon version, remove mud guard.
I don’t see any other easy weight savings!
Stock tires?

Which dropper?

Thx.

bryankcc

May 4, 2023
Singapore
Anyone know what the head angle is with the chainstay in long with a 29" wheel fitted?

He posted excel screenshots of all permutations of adjustments and corresponding geometry numbers.. hope it is useful for u..

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia

He posted excel screenshots of all permutations of adjustments and corresponding geometry numbers.. hope it is useful for u..
Thanks!.
Apparently the geo isn't changed from a larger rear wheel with the small chainstay chip flip. Call me skeptical lol.

Ribinrobin

Subscriber
Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Listed mine back up for sale. I thought I’d give it a back to back go against my enduro and though it is a great bike I just don’t feel like I need it in my stable.

Great deal to be had w/ new range extender! S4 comp!

Pinkbike advert 👍

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

Thanks.

My bike is based on this - which will give you weights of most of the components.

S4 S-Works frame only kit.

Full Invisiframe applied to frame and fork

SRAM XX1 AXS derailleur
SRAM XX1 cassette
SRAM XX1 chain
(all to be replaced with XX T-Type Transmission next week hopefully!)
Stock SRAM carbon cranks
HT Components ME-03T pedals

Magura MT7 brakes
Magura Storm HC Rotors (203mm + 180mm)
Magura Carbon levers

RockShox Lyric Ultimate 160mm 51 offset fork - with Mudhugger front guard.
ENVE DH Carbon bar
Ergon GE1 Evo Grips
ENVE 55mm Carbon stem

RockShox Reverb AXS 170 x 34.9mm dropper post
Syncros Tofino R 1.0 Saddle

29" Roval Traverse Carbon wheels (not SL) with XD driver
Muc Off 45mm tubeless valves
Michelin Wild Enduro front and rear tyres - tubeless, no inserts.

17.43kg - including pedals. SWAT tool / assembly was never fitted.

T-Type transmission will increase the weight, and a new wheelset (maybe next month!) will hopefully decrease it further as I think the Roval wheels I have are about 1950g.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
This bike is so fun. It definitely needs shorter crank arms…. Does anyone know the sram part no.?

Stealth codes look nice, but i need stronger brakes. I’m used to shiguras and xtr’s on my other bikes. Maybe i can use better pads for the codes and go with 220 rotors? I like the look of the levers

I’m working out a trade for an X2 from my bros Levo. So I might upgrade or take advantage of the sale Fox has right now…

IMG_5974.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles