Levo Rear derailleur problem

Oldnomad52

Apr 29, 2019
Wanaka, New Zealand
Out riding this morning and this happened, I was in bottom gear in turbo climbing up a quite steep mountain on a 4x4 track. Had been in this gear for about 5 minutes just slowly grinding up the track and without warning the derailleur gets ripped off ??. Anyone else had this problem on there Levo or have any idea as to why ??.
Cheers in advance.
20190603_102733.jpg

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i had the limit screw set a little off and the chain would go into the spokes, but only when shifting. Watched some youtube vids and you pedal with right hand and press deralieur with left and adjust until the chain does not jump. Looks like you need new mech? Dont forget hanger, you can find one pretty cheap , i just had a slight impact after a fall and it was tweaked

estoril

Patreon
Sep 28, 2018
UK
Yep, the same thing but mine was a rock that got thrown up, I was also climbing in Turbo in first but I heard a clunk which I believe was a rock, broke three spokes (wheel fully rebuilt) derailleur inner cage and the mech hanger was bent...
2019-04-28 19.07.07.jpg

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I would think this is an Ebike issue not a Levo specific thing. On a non ebike because you are putting all the torque in you get a bit more feel for what is happening and may be able to stop pedaling in time to save it. I have had this happen on a non ebike however , almost the same scenario.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Usually a stick jammed between chain and jockey wheel, but if that was the case it would still be there. When there is no evidence it is often the result of derailleur cage colliding with spokes, usually caused by limit set screw not adjusted to prevent that, but you weren't changing gear so that's not the case either.

You could have had a bent derailleur hanger causing the cage to be too close to the spokes, then something bumps it or jams between cage and spokes that then causes a full on collision and what you see is the end result; and the spoke it collided with will be marked. The only other possibility I can think of is that where the break occurred, there was a crack that had been there for a long time and through flexing and fatigue it eventually suddenly fails.

Oldnomad52

Apr 29, 2019
Wanaka, New Zealand
Usually a stick jammed between chain and jockey wheel, but if that was the case it would still be there. When there is no evidence it is often the result of derailleur cage colliding with spokes, usually caused by limit set screw not adjusted to prevent that, but you weren't changing gear so that's not the case either.

You could have had a bent derailleur hanger causing the cage to be too close to the spokes, then something bumps it or jams between cage and spokes that then causes a full on collision and what you see is the end result; and the spoke it collided with will be marked. The only other possibility I can think of is that where the break occurred, there was a crack that had been there for a long time and through flexing and fatigue it eventually suddenly fails.

Bike has only done 650km so crack is unlikely I think. I have had it back to the shop a couple of times as it was not changing as smooth as it should. Also had the chain fall down between lowest gear and the spokes twice, on both occasions I was changing down a gear. First time I snapped the chain and the second time I managed to catch it b4 any damage was done. After both events I took it back to the shop and had it checked. They found a slightly bent hanger and straightened it and all seemed good until yesterdays failure. Any way been back to the shop today and fitted a new GX rear mech and new chain along with new hanger. Fingers crossed that's the end of that problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles