Deore M6000 rear derailleur, long, normal etc

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
After breaking my M6000 derailleur yesterday, the LBS handed me another. But when I got home and looked at it I figured it wasn't going to work with the 11-42T Shimano Deore CS-M4100-10.

They reckon that a Deore XT RD-M786-SGS will work, that's the only part they can get in a few days. I don't fully understand how to read the Shimano specs but I'm worried that the Low sprocket_Max is only 36T although the total capacity is 43T. Will that work? T

I can order another M6000 from an internet retailer, but I'm slightly confused (again) about the difference between RD-M6000-GS and the RD-M6000-SGS (ie long). I'm pretty sure my mangled mech is a RD-M6000-GS but the body only says RD-M6000. The shimano site is unhelpful again, the diagrams between the GS and SGS look identical to me. So, any way to tell them apart or be sure which one to order?

The LBS offered to fit the XT derailleur ell at no cost so I'm tempted to let them go ahead and if it work then all is well. At the same time, I think I'll just order another M6000 as I ride those kind of tracks a lot.

& if I get an M6000, when I come to fit it, is there anything else I need that I ought to buy? The LBS seemed to think more cable but I'm not clear why.

Thanks!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles