Levo motor replacement using more battery?

mtb64

Oct 22, 2018
UK
Had the motor replaced on my Specialized Turbo Levo Comp 2020 (after 4k miles, it just failed). The replacement (another 2.1) seems like its consuming approx. 10-15% more battery on same rides / trail conditions as previous motor. Anyone else with similar experience?

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Nope not had that. A group of us all bought Levo's at the same time, and have had new motors at different times, we all ride together regularly and not noticed any change in battery usage between them. What we do find is that some motors seem to be more powerful* then others, and my more run in motor is much better than a new one. We are of the opinion you do need to 'run in' new motors. TBH I've found differences in battery usage is down to other factors.. mud/tyres/mode usage/etc

*Not rigorously tested, and only 'slightly' more power, not huge gains.. they just seems more powerful

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Are the various assistance settings that you can configure with the specialized app stored in the motor - in which case the new motor will come with new settings, or stored elsewhere on the bike, in which case your old settings will get applied to the new motor.

That could explain a difference in power consumption...

mtb64

Oct 22, 2018
UK
Are the various assistance settings that you can configure with the specialized app stored in the motor - in which case the new motor will come with new settings, or stored elsewhere on the bike, in which case your old settings will get applied to the new motor.

That could explain a difference in power consumption...
I've not made any modifications to motor settings via the app before or after the motor swap. Always ran it on default

mtb64

Oct 22, 2018
UK
Nope not had that. A group of us all bought Levo's at the same time, and have had new motors at different times, we all ride together regularly and not noticed any change in battery usage between them. What we do find is that some motors seem to be more powerful* then others, and my more run in motor is much better than a new one. We are of the opinion you do need to 'run in' new motors. TBH I've found differences in battery usage is down to other factors.. mud/tyres/mode usage/etc

*Not rigorously tested, and only 'slightly' more power, not huge gains.. they just seems more powerful

It does 'feel' slightly more powerful in turbo mode. I usually ride the same 10 - 20 local routes from my door and have used the same tyres & pressure before and after the motor swap. Granted these factor make a difference, but not 10-15% over the same trails, conditions & bike setup.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles