Levo gen2 battery repack

Tomas8o

Sep 28, 2020
Finland
Hi!

I have a 500wh battery on my 2019 Levo, battery health has now dropped to 90% health. Got me thinking about repacking the cells, is it doable, and is it possible to expand capacity to 700wh while doing so?

90% is still ok, but how fast will the health start dropping from here, 500wh on the smaller side to begin with...

(usage: 7700km and 226 charge cycles and counting)

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I doubt that it's worth the hassle/money to go onto this path renewing/repacking this battery, they can be very dangerous if something is not done 100% correct, are you prepared to bare additional worries/risk that your bike/house may catch on fire?
If I were you I will try to find a good used battery, there were also some sales where you could buy new 700Wh battery for about 900€ ...

Last edited:

Tomas8o

Sep 28, 2020
Finland
I doubt that it's worth the hassle/money to go onto this path renewing/repacking this battery, they can be very dangerous if something is not done 100% correct, are you prepared to bare additional worries/risk that your bike/house may catch on fire?
If I were you I will try to find a good used battery, there were also some sales where you could buy new 700Wh battery for about 900€ ...
I would never attempt something like this myself.
I have found a couple of businesses that specialize in repacking various battery packs. ebike and other. Therefore i was wondering if it´s possible to open up and repack a specialized battery.
In Finland i cannot find a new 700wh batterypack at that price. the local shops that sell them are asking about 1500€... And it´s not possible to buy online from EU warehouses.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think when others have looked it's not looked so easy with the Spesh battery, but then there's more experience now, so who knows.

My 500 dropped to 90% within a year, but in the two years since it's only dropped another 1%.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
I've repacked plenty of lithium ion battery packs for lights over the years but wouldn't contemplate doing it on my levo. Like others have said, there's too much risk and too much to go wrong to save a few quid. Plus you are unlikely to get the same quality cells as the specialized original (no matter what they promise) so a shorter battery life might make it a false economy anyway.

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
The block diagram and functionality of the BMS of a Specialized battery is as follows:

10 cells groups in series, 4 cells in parallel in each group. Each cell group has a sense line going back to a monitoring IC, e.g a Panasonic AN49511A. The AN49511A is reporting all 10 cells voltages to the microprocessor. The microprocessor and monitoring ic are never shutdown, they go into lower power states but never off. Should they be shut down, or the cell voltages reported back to the microprocessor from the monitor go low(e.g when someone disconnects cells while repacking with fresh cells) the microprocessor goes into lock mode (no more canbus comms), blows the fuse (it’s a solid state controlled fuse, sometime called a “Chem fuse”) in the name of “safety” and the pack is as useful as a paper weight.

I’ve seen a variety of cells used in these batteries. Some good, some pretty ordinary, some BAD. Cells better then OEM can be purchased from many online sellers.

I’m working on a few solutions for after market batteries using premium cells once I get my other non bike projects under control.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles