Levo Gen 2 Levo Expert Carbon - Roof Rack options

KrisScott1990

Jun 14, 2020
Edinburgh
Hi All,

I have just ordered a Turbo Levo Expert Carbon, however i currently have Thule ProRide 598's.

I seen a post where the grip dosent fit round the downtube due to the width but no information on alternatives

Has anyone found a way to modify the rack or another suitable roof rack for the Levo?

The issue i have is i have no trails near by, I own a 4 Series BMW with the tailgate sensors so from what ive been told a Tow Bar isnt an option and it certainly doesnt fit within the car.

Getting a little stressed that ive protentially bought a Bike which i cant transport :(

Best,

Kris

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
I use the Seasucker for 2 bikes to carry 1 Levo. I called them, it's designed to support 90Lbs. I attached it to my Model S that is all glass. Driving 75mph with no issues. You will also need inserts to support the front Axle.

Last edited:

Moose

Feb 19, 2018
Cheltenham Spa
Have a look on this thread.

Zero

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Fx1"
Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
You can fit a removable tow bar to a 4 series. i had one on a 430d vert.

I wouldnt touch a sea sucker as i watched my roof warp when the bike moved side to side. the 2 bike might be bit better but a tow bar or proper roof rack be better.

Also you can get the bike in the back with seats down and wheel off. Done it even in the vert.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
I use the Yakuma Highroad for my Levo and Kenevo. Leave the batteries in also. Been fine so far. The hardest bit is getting them down, always seem heavier when slowly lifting them down so you dont scratch the side of the car by accident.

KrisScott1990

Jun 14, 2020
Edinburgh
You can fit a removable tow bar to a 4 series. i had one on a 430d vert.

I wouldnt touch a sea sucker as i watched my roof warp when the bike moved side to side. the 2 bike might be bit better but a tow bar or proper roof rack be better.

Also you can get the bike in the back with seats down and wheel off. Done it even in the vert.

Yeah, i was told i couldnt as i have the sensor under the back bumper where you slide your foot under to open the boot.

Didnt realise it would fit in the boot. Is this a 3dr 4 Series you have (Coupe)?

Best,

KRis

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I use the Yakuma Highroad for my Levo and Kenevo. Leave the batteries in also. Been fine so far. The hardest bit is getting them down, always seem heavier when slowly lifting them down so you dont scratch the side of the car by accident.
This - the Yakima High Road is the only roof carrier I would trust to put an emtb on, its rated to 20kg, and when you compare it to similar racks much better engineered IMO. Its also the easiest to attach to the bars, and get the bike into too. I would take the battery out of the bike though when using it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah, i was told i couldnt as i have the sensor under the back bumper where you slide your foot under to open the boot.

Didnt realise it would fit in the boot. Is this a 3dr 4 Series you have (Coupe)?

Best,

KRis
I had this problem on my Merc, Mercedes say it cant be done retrospectively if you have the waggle your foot sensor, but I believe some of the aftermarket ones form the likes of Westfalia dont obscure it. It depends on the car as some have sensors where the tow bar is, and others under the whole of the rear.

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands
Just get the sensor coded out if it's a problem. You can disable stuff like that. It's a pointless system anyway because there is a button on the key which opens boot.

I think they sold it as a feature for women and shopping bags...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Luckily for me I can fit the whole bike in the Merc without taking the wheels off, I quite like the feature on an estate, as been a few time when it has come in use when carrying big things and keys in pocket, but generally I would never bother picking it as an option if it wasn't already on the car.

I was particularly pleased with my self the other day when and the end of my ride I rode by the back of the car, swung my foot under the back to open the boot, then dismounted and put the bike in the car in one move. Such is the level of excitement of my middle aged life :cool:

Zero

Apr 15, 2020
Midlands

Best,

KRis

I had 4 series convertible which is worse but it still fit. normal 4 should be fine with wheel off.

Its even easier if you take pedals off. I have an impact driver which spins the pedals on and off in seconds and this makes life dead easy

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Yes you can
1592300293863.png

KrisScott1990

Jun 14, 2020
Edinburgh
I had 4 series convertible which is worse but it still fit. normal 4 should be fine with wheel off.

Its even easier if you take pedals off. I have an impact driver which spins the pedals on and off in seconds and this makes life dead easy

Excellent, you may have lowered my stress levels! Looks like its going into the car for now

skywaterbanjo

Aug 7, 2020
Colorado
The Yakima Highroad has a rating of 45 lbs and I think the Turbo Levo weighs 48. I've been told not to travel with the battery out. There is usually a 10-20% fudge factor in the rated weight capacity of a rack. Does anyone exceed the weight recommendation? Or, if you remove the battery, how do you protect the motor/electrical? TIA

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles