Roof rack transportation options

checkerzsnr

Aug 28, 2018
NN9 6RF
Morning all,
With the e-bikes weighing so much more I undertand that using a tow hitch is the best option to transport the bike however, current car does not have a tow hitch but does have a roof rack...
Any recommendations on products to transport an ebike on a roof rack?
Thanks
Ian

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I looked in to various options. Ended up buying Thule Prorides for my acoustic bikes. Interested to see the weight limit on the Thule rack (the just the roof bars) would accommodate at least one eMTB on the roof.

However the limiting factor is the bike carrier you attach to the roof rack.

Firstly, they depend on an arm clipping around the downtube. On most eMTB the downtube is far too wide either due to the battery or to accommodate the motor at the bottom. There are alternatives that connect through the fork (with wheel removed), and one that only secures using braces around the wheel. Both have pros and cons. The Thule UpRide is probably the best bet, but also the most expensive roof rack carrier they sell (£170... and you need to buy the roof rack first!)

Secondly, the carrier has it's own weight limit, which seems to top out at 20Kg. Even the lightest eMTBs are on the cusp of this limit, with their batteries removed.

IMHO the main problem is lifting it up there!

checkerzsnr

Aug 28, 2018
NN9 6RF
Thanks for the quick responses.
The more I read and investigate the more I start to consider the expense of fitting a tow bar as being the best option...
Not too worried about lifting the bike on to the roof rak -> will not be doing it too often and have a very strong son! :)
However, finding a good fit for the fattie ties and restricted weight limits (even with battery removed) is concerning, especially if I ever want to transport more than one bike. The Thule UpRide is in the running (prefer the way it secures the bike.
The cost of fitting a new tow bar is high but so is the cost of replacing an e-bike should a roof system fail!!!
Still somewhat confused ?, maybe I should be looking at buying a van ?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Fatty tires, no problem with Thule. My 2.8" Plus tires fit the standard straps, no probs. You can get longer straps for a few £$ for true fatty tires.

When I looked at adding a hitch *and* the bike rack *and* electrics, it was well past £1000!!! Not an option for me.

So my bike lives in the boot and the families acoustic bikes can ride up top :)

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I have Thule 598s, a standard estate car and a Vitus with removable battery so the downtube can be clamped. I'm over 6'3" and bought a folding plastic step up about 300mm high and even so I find getting the ebike up there an utter bastard (although have been doing it unwittingly with a broken neck which doesn't help). I would think it would be close to impossible for a short arse with an SUV. I have a company car so towbar just not worth the cost every 3.5 years, if I had my own car I think I'd find the money

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Not a roof rack but this concept works very well for me as I don't have to lift the very heavy Levo all the way up on the roof. There are different brands that sell this type and they are not that expensive. They work well with both Estates(I have an Audi A6 Avant) and Sedans.

IMG_1503 kopi.jpg

Karsten

mymodel6

Oct 2, 2018
Hertfordshire
Not a roof rack but this concept works very well for me as I don't have to lift the very heavy Levo all the way up on the roof. There are different brands that sell this type and they are not that expensive. They work well with both Estates(I have an Audi A6 Avant) and Sedans.Karsten

You should at least take the battery off and cross your fingers, your legs, your toes and your nuts whenever you use it, but i wouldn't risk putting £5000+ e-bike on a tailgate mount.

This is the only roof mounted rack i could find with a high enough weight rating for current e-bikes at 23kg:
INNO Multi Fork bike carrier, no. INA392.

You have to remove the front wheel which saves some weight already and lowers the COG which is good. If you also remove the battery you'll be even more safely under the weight limit and be able to lift it onto the roof, it's also very easy to mount the bike on. They also include a free wheel bag.

Thule obviously make some nice ones, but 20kg is the most any of their roof carriers are designed for, as far as roof mounted racks for e-bikes go, the Inno really is all there is...

Last edited:

Jrwilliams7

Sep 15, 2018
California
I am waiting on a quick release for my fork, but I am going to try seasuckers roof mount. It says 45 pound limit per bike and I have the two bike rack = 90lbs limit total. So in theory it will work . I have moved a 20mm to the center to balance the weight for solo bike transportation. image.jpg

Steady_eddy

Patreon
Apr 25, 2018
Netherlands
Also very interested in this thread, I have an Audi A6 variant so have been looking at roof mounted options. I don't mind lifting it up there but I would prefer something that has a lock on it because I will be using this to drive from Holland to the UK a couple of times a year. I like the look of the Thule 991 raceway but not sure if it would fit on my car as I have a small factory spoiler at the top.... EDIT: I just checked the Thule website and it states that the 991 will not fit an estate car.....

Last edited:

mymodel6

Oct 2, 2018
Hertfordshire
Ok there's one more piece of info you need for when the wise ones among you buy this roof carrier.

It's called the Multi Fork because it has adaptors to fit many different forks, standard QR, 15 x 100, and 20 x 110. You'll notice there is no 15 x 110 option and you're right. However, Roofbox will suggest an adaptor that is both totally shit, and costs £35. Take my advice and do it this way.

All you need is this:
20181012_095523.jpg

to turn this:

20181012_102719.jpg

Into this:

20181012_102810.jpg

If you need an adaptor tube like this i can sort one for about a tenner, but any local machine shop should be able to make one in about 5 minutes, it's a nice snug fit and will not come out when not in use :)

Last edited:

BJep

Patreon
Aug 15, 2018
Grayshott
[QUOTE: I just checked the Thule website and it states that the 991 will not fit an estate car.....[/QUOTE]

The Thule website says that but in fact it fits my Volvo V90 perfectly well. I was so exasperated researching the subject (and not having a spare £1500 knocking around) I decided to buy one from Amazon and return it if it didn't work. I have been using it for months now and its been great- good for 30 kilo's max load and 15 kilo's per bike.
I understand many won't feel comfy using a product in a way not certified by manufacturer...

dZN11IE1RCuGrqcvWVH7Pw.jpg

estoril

Patreon
Sep 28, 2018
UK
I have a Thule UpRide and it worked fine with my Giant, with the battery out it was about 19.5Kg, I am yet to try it with the Turbo Kenevo which is a bit heavier but I do not anticipate any issues.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Just a note on the Thule Raceway, I have the three bike version which I think is the 992. Haven't used It a great deal but had one of the ratchets fail a couple of weeks ago. It's out of warranty (bought it as a new return anyway) but contacted Thule and asked if they offered a repair service. They said no but gave me the number of a roof rack dealer in Ipswich that might be able to help.....
Guess if one of their products breaks during warranty they just give you a new one and in my case you're shit out of luck. Pretty poor from a company the size of Thule IMO. Think I'll try dismantling it and finding the failed part so I can if the Ipswich dealer can sell me a new ratchet, bloody heavy thing to send

Ron

Patreon
Sep 27, 2018
Campbell, CA USA
You guys are better men than I, getting an EMTB up on your roof is a task, let alone two, one for me and one for my wife. I went with a trailer hitch mount, 18” off the ground is enough for me.

checkerzsnr

Aug 28, 2018
NN9 6RF
Finally sorted out my transportation solution. Invested in a removalable tow hitch and a THULE VeloSpace XT 2. Oh, and a second e-bike!
7E7E72BF-8E60-448B-9EE8-AA8D5B36D5E2.jpeg

checkerzsnr

Aug 28, 2018
NN9 6RF
Anyone used a Thule Upride 599 on a levo?

With battery out it would be <20kg and unlike the 598 it doesnt clamp on to the frame.

Not had experience of the 599 however would like to know peoples thoughts about transporting e-bikes with the batteries removed. Is there any danger of damaging the electronics if water got into the frame area (where the battery sits)? Being in the UK, even when the day starts sunny, there's plenty of chance of rain later :ROFLMAO:

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Another option could be the fork/thru axle mounts like the Thule ThruRide?

Weight limit is 17kg but with battery and front wheel removed the levo should be within that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles