Levo dealer diagnostic help.

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
Seems my bike wasnt delivered, and now is on back order until November, so I'm now picking up a small Rocket Red Levo Comp on Saturday instead :)

A little concerned that when I asked the store if they could set the wheel size to 2000 they didnt know where it was, I don't suppose anyone knows how I direct them to the right place so they can make that change for me?

TIA

Last edited:

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
As per the title, seems my bike wasnt delivered, and now is on back order until November, so I'm now picking up a small Rocket Red Levo Comp on Saturday instead :)

A little concerned that when I asked the store if they could set the wheel size to 2000 they didnt know where it was, I don't suppose anyone knows how I direct them to the right place so they can make that change for me?

TIA

Via the Specialized dealer portal. First they need to connect the bike’s TCU to a computer via a USB cable. They can also update the bike’s firmware (TCU, motor and battery) via that procedure. Via the same page they can change the wheel circumference setting.

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
Via the Specialized dealer portal. First they need to connect the bike’s TCU to a computer via a USB cable. They can also update the bike’s firmware (TCU, motor and battery) via that procedure. Via the same page they can change the wheel circumference setting.

Brilliant, thankyou, one more question, I am right in assuming that Specialized allow the shops to do this (min size 2000) so therefore warranty stays intact.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Brilliant, thankyou, one more question, I am right in assuming that Specialized allow the shops to do this (min size 2000) so therefore warranty stays intact.

Yes, you are right! (but officially you now require a new wheelset which belobgs to the 2000 setting to avoid breaking the law)

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I was told on Sunday (Specialized Concept Store) that if the shop makes the change then they automatically void the 2 year warranty for the electrics

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
I was told on Sunday (Specialized Concept Store) that if the shop makes the change then they automatically void the 2 year warranty for the electrics
I just rang the Specialized store @ Harrogate on the back of this post, expressed my concern about voiding my warranty and the chap said its fine if the store do it.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M

This is not true! Official Specialized portal offers dealers the opportunity to set a minimum value of 2000mm for the wheel circumference setting.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Does this raise the speed limit?

Theoretically (in case you keep the original 29" wheelset of 2300mm in the bike) it's raised by (2300/2000)*25=28,8km/h. However in practice the new cut off happens somewhere around 30 km/h. When using BLEvo you will have the accurate speed and distance as BLEvo automatically compensates the fake setting of 2000 vs. the real wheelsetting of 2300mm. Only set 2300mm. in BLEvo.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
If one changes tear tyre from 2.8 that is IOM to say a 2.6, this will reduce circumference of tyre. I presume that this means cut off will happen at a slightly lower speed as one cannot change circumference (unless using Blevo which risks nullifying guarantee).

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
If one changes tear tyre from 2.8 that is IOM to say a 2.6, this will reduce circumference of tyre. I presume that this means cut off will happen at a slightly lower speed as one cannot change circumference (unless using Blevo which risks nullifying guarantee).

Correct but even with BLEvo you can’t modify the wheel circumference anymore for the Levo 2019 and 2020 and Kenevo 2020 as Spesh blocked the modification of the wheel circumference setting via bluetooth. Only exception is TCU firmware version 2.019 which was the very first 2019 Levo firmware version.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
This is not true! Official Specialized portal offers dealers the opportunity to set a minimum value of 2000mm for the wheel circumference setting.
Someone should inform Specialized Concept Store in Chester. The guy I spoke to was telling me if anything were to go wrong, I could be looking at up to around £2k for new electrics. :(

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Someone should inform Specialized Concept Store in Chester. The guy I spoke to was telling me if anything were to go wrong, I could be looking at up to around £2k for new electrics. :(

As you have contact with them, you might be able to inform them? If they check the Spesh dealer page which they use for updating the bike's software they will see the setting which Spesh allows them to change with a minimum value of 2000mm. I think they dealer thought you might wanted to derestrict the bike completely (typical 800 value) the Spesh portal doesn't allow that but there are other ways to do so if you like but indeed that could (but it's not said it will) void warranty.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Perhaps I could reword the question and ask what happens if I want to put smaller rear wheel on next time I speak to them.

Last edited:

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I can connect either old or new MC app to my 2019 Kenevo and have used old app to change wheel circumference to 2000. When I connect new MC it also shows my wheel circumference as 2000. I can't see this voids any warranty because I'm using a Specialized app to modify wheel circumference. I had my battery updated at my LBS recently and on old app it says that firmware is 10.231 (motor 5.04). The new MC app says Battery firmware is A.17.1!! (motor also 5.04) Odd. Also odd is that both apps report battery temperature as 8 degrees and the motor as 11 degrees. Bike has not been ridden today so there is no residual heat in motor.
If a future update of battery stops old app being able to connect or restores wheel circumference to default value I'd rather stick to the current firmware, especially as next tyre will probably be a 2.6 which has a smaller circumference than the current 2.8.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
When I connect new MC it also shows my wheel circumference as 2000. I can't see this voids any warranty because I'm using a Specialized app to modify wheel circumference
Of course you're absolutely right as usual
Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 9.13.38 pm.png

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Went for a ride with my wheel set to 3000 circumference today. My Garmin shows cutting out between 27 & 28kph which is great and makes cutting out less noticeable. I was riding with three others, all on Levos and on slight uphill I was able to leave them for dust! They couldn’t believe my new found strength which allowed me to cycle beyond their cut off point. I confessed and since one of them had the old MC app on his phone I changed his wheel circumference to 2000. One of the others has a 2019 Levo and so I couldn’t change his. Slightly odd that older model is faster than the new one but I’m not complaining - some compensation for Specialized seemingly abandoning pre 2019 bikes to some extent. It’s a real pity, for example that there is no possibility of a retrofit 700w battery for any bike pre 2019.

SmackIt

Jul 21, 2019
Reno
Went for a ride with my wheel set to 3000 circumference today. My Garmin shows cutting out between 27 & 28kph which is great and makes cutting out less noticeable. I was riding with three others, all on Levos and on slight uphill I was able to leave them for dust! They couldn’t believe my new found strength which allowed me to cycle beyond their cut off point. I confessed and since one of them had the old MC app on his phone I changed his wheel circumference to 2000. One of the others has a 2019 Levo and so I couldn’t change his. Slightly odd that older model is faster than the new one but I’m not complaining - some compensation for Specialized seemingly abandoning pre 2019 bikes to some extent. It’s a real pity, for example that there is no possibility of a retrofit 700w battery for any bike pre 2019.
I don't understand, why set yours to 3000 and your friends to 2000 ?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Yes, you’re right. Had I been able to set his to 2000, (which I can’t with old MC app) he would have been able to go faster than me and that would not do at all. We’re both on 3000 but I’ve got a 2.8 and he’s on a 2.6 so I should be slightly faster!!

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I confessed and since one of them had the old MC app on his phone I changed his wheel circumference to 2000. One of the others has a 2019 Levo and so I couldn’t change his.

What you can do in this case, is connecting the previous Levo model (2016/2017/2018) battery to the motor of the new 2019/2020 Levo/Kenevo model. Then change the wheelcircumference setting to 2000 via old MC or BLEvo for example. Then switch the old battery off and disconnect the power cable. Then connect the power cable to the battery which belongs to the 2019 model and you will see that the 2000 value is saved in the 2019/2020 motor.

Last edited:

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
I can connect either old or new MC app to my 2019 Kenevo and have used old app to change wheel circumference to 2000. When I connect new MC it also shows my wheel circumference as 2000. I can't see this voids any warranty because I'm using a Specialized app to modify wheel circumference. I had my battery updated at my LBS recently and on old app it says that firmware is 10.231 (motor 5.04). The new MC app says Battery firmware is A.17.1!! (motor also 5.04) Odd. Also odd is that both apps report battery temperature as 8 degrees and the motor as 11 degrees. Bike has not been ridden today so there is no residual heat in motor.
If a future update of battery stops old app being able to connect or restores wheel circumference to default value I'd rather stick to the current firmware, especially as next tyre will probably be a 2.6 which has a smaller circumference than the current 2.8.

@Swissrider:
These firmware versions are actually the same. The new app just reports in Hex as opposed to decimal notation. 10 decimal is A in Hex, and 23 decimal is 17Hex.

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
What you can do in this case, is connecting the previous Levo model (2016/2017/2018) battery to the motor of the new 2019/2020 Levo/Kenevo model. Then change the wheel circumference setting to 2000 via old MC or BLEvo for example. Then switch the old battery off and disconnect the power cable. Then connect the power cable to the battery which belongs to the 2019 model and you will see that the 2000 value is not set in the 2019/2020 motor.

@Maastricht: At first I was intrigued by what you reported: Connecting an old battery to a new motor allows the changing of the wheel circumference.
But then you said when you reconnect the new battery that the change is reversed?
Is that what you said? That's too bad, cuz it looked like a solution...

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Nope not even close. Find another dealer, because they truly don’t know what they are talking about

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Maastricht: At first I was intrigued by what you reported: Connecting an old battery to a new motor allows the changing of the wheel circumference.
But then you said when you reconnect the new battery that the change is reversed?
Is that what you said? That's too bad, cuz it looked like a solution...
I think as this is the typo thread ? he meant it is NOW set, rather than NOT set.

desmoracing

Oct 2, 2019
Bavaria
Hi Maastricht, I got my Kenevo 2020 yesterday and am interested in what you report about getting an pre-2019 Levo/kenevo battery connecting it and the changing the wheel circumference via BLEVO. I have got a pdf for another Emtb thread and it says u need first to unscrew the TCU unit, disconnect the cables which go to the motor, then connect the pre-2019 Levo/kenevo battery, then connect with BLEVO and you can change the wheel circumference even below 2000. Disconnect old battery, remount power cables to TCU, connect original 2019/2020 battery and then the wheel size supposedly is whatever u put in into BLEVO. MY QUESTION: Has anyone tried this???

desmoracing

Oct 2, 2019
Bavaria
and what interests me, where does the Levo/kenevo store the setting TCU? Batter? Motor? How does the trick with an pre-2019 battery work. does the MC think this is an old pre 2019 Levo just because a pre 2019 battery is connected to it?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles