Levo Gen 2 Levo Battery Harness - Wiring Diagram and Fault Code

talisker

Dec 22, 2020
Farnham, Surrey
Hi all

Grateful for any thoughts and advice on the below.

My Levo flagged an intermittent TCU/Motor error on my most recent ride (Check cables and plug connections) but rode fine. Now, after a few days rest, it flashes one blue LED twice on the TCU, does a power cycle, then one bottom red LED, a battery not found error and shuts down. All too fast to connect to Mission Control. Always happens at holiday time.......

I have the new wiring harness but there is still some moisture and corrosion inside the motor plug (on a power terminal). But that doesn't seem the be the fault as the bike is getting enough power to turn on the TCU.

So I ran a multimeter over the wiring loom as many posts talk to that as a fault. The power pins are fine. There are four copper signal pins on the battery end and five on the motor end. Viewed from the top (power pins at the bottom), I get a signal on pins 1, 3 and 4 but not on 2 or 5. Does anyone know if that is normal or have a lost a wire. And if so, which one? It's booked into LBS but not until post Christmas so up for a bit of DIY wiring in the meantime.

Or any other suggestions.

Many thanks in advance

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have no specific knowledge of the wiring circuit but I offer some thoughts on the basis they may help.
Firstly, the plugs at each end of the power cable are not purpose designed for the Levo....they are standard plugs. So I suspect all that is being carried on that cable is one high voltage circuit and one low voltage circuit ( possibly with an earth). What you are seeing in terms of TCU lights etc when you switch on, is the TCU doing it startup routine where is requires a response signal back from each component......battery voltage, and a low voltage signal network of TCU, controller, and motor ( via the PCB on the motor). 9 times out of 10 faults on an electrical circuit are due to faulty connections. Those faults vary from a complete disconnect, to a high resistance disconnect, to a short circuit. In your case the power does not stay on which suggests to me a faulty connection on the high voltage circuit.....the 2 connection points being at either end of the power cable.
You may well have already found the fault in that you have discovered dampness and corrosion on a high voltage terminal pin. I assume from your post that is at the motor plug end. Testing with a multimeter does not replicate what happens when you physical connect that plug. There should not be dampness there or corrosion.
I suggest you first check the harness is fully sealed at both ends. If it is then the wet has entered the plug connection direct. The seals on that plug are the 2 green bands. These need to be lubricated to help them seal. I also use grease behind those seal so that the mating surfaces of the plug also prevent water getting as far as those 2 green seal rings. The terminals should be cleaned with contact cleaner. If you have access to another power cable ( e.g. from a friend) that would be a good quick test, but failing that, clean up your cable and re terminate it.
To be thorough dont ignore the possibility that the rosenberger connection could be the problem, so clean that up as well. Good luck.

talisker

Dec 22, 2020
Farnham, Surrey
I have no specific knowledge of the wiring circuit but I offer some thoughts on the basis they may help.
Firstly, the plugs at each end of the power cable are not purpose designed for the Levo....they are standard plugs. So I suspect all that is being carried on that cable is one high voltage circuit and one low voltage circuit ( possibly with an earth). What you are seeing in terms of TCU lights etc when you switch on, is the TCU doing it startup routine where is requires a response signal back from each component......battery voltage, and a low voltage signal network of TCU, controller, and motor ( via the PCB on the motor). 9 times out of 10 faults on an electrical circuit are due to faulty connections. Those faults vary from a complete disconnect, to a high resistance disconnect, to a short circuit. In your case the power does not stay on which suggests to me a faulty connection on the high voltage circuit.....the 2 connection points being at either end of the power cable.
You may well have already found the fault in that you have discovered dampness and corrosion on a high voltage terminal pin. I assume from your post that is at the motor plug end. Testing with a multimeter does not replicate what happens when you physical connect that plug. There should not be dampness there or corrosion.
I suggest you first check the harness is fully sealed at both ends. If it is then the wet has entered the plug connection direct. The seals on that plug are the 2 green bands. These need to be lubricated to help them seal. I also use grease behind those seal so that the mating surfaces of the plug also prevent water getting as far as those 2 green seal rings. The terminals should be cleaned with contact cleaner. If you have access to another power cable ( e.g. from a friend) that would be a good quick test, but failing that, clean up your cable and re terminate it.
To be thorough dont ignore the possibility that the rosenberger connection could be the problem, so clean that up as well. Good luck.

Hi MikerB

Thanks for your post.

In terms of the TCU power up, it is

- (strangely) flashing one of the blue LEDs twice then
- the normal ramp up and down of the blue LEDs then
- shows one red LED at the bottom (ie flat battery) then
- Battery not Found error then
- Off

I've attached a video here >> New video by Tom Lewis

and couple of photos

01-Startup Blue LED.png

02-One Red LED.png

03-Battery Not Found Fault.png

Screenshot 2020-12-23 at 09.09.38.png

The workshop manual shows that "Battery not Found" is a CAN error which I assume is the little copper terminals. They all seem clean to sight so hence why I'm wondering if it is a broken wire in the harness.

Cheers

Talisker

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
TBH I would not put much trust in the different diagnostic light display on the TCU. Sort your power cable and that is your best chance of fixing the problem yourself. Whilst you have the crank and motor cover off take a photo of the other connections at the motor end and similarly disconnect them, clean and replace making sure they are properly sealed.

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
do you have the updated motor/battery cable that doesn't have a kink in the harness?
Thats a common problem on the levo's.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles