Let's talk clothing! What's your gear?

sirshan

Oct 2, 2018
Oakland, CA USA
...trying some new stuff. Been road riding more the past few years, so been kit'd out with Rapha Gear. Started to try some new stuff for MTB and decided on some things from:

- Club Ride (2 pairs (Fat Jack and Revolution) pants for the winter, 2 jersey shirts...look more like button up shirts, but very flex and comfy)

- Endura (Single Track Pants)

- POC Tectal SPIN Helmet

- Giro Full Face Helmet (when riding more aggressive)

- G-Form Elbow and Knee Pads (...when I do wear pads, I typically don't...but they're in the bag ready at all times)

- Ergon Enduro Backpack BE3

- 5Ten Shoes (all types...)

- Gloves (Specialized, Fox and Rapha...no order, whatever I pull out of the glove bin)

- Socks (Swiftwick...love these things)

- Calvin Klein Underwear...its a must.

- If I wear a bib under the clothing, its typically one of my roadie ones from Rapha

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Love this post, i though it was just me that has way too much cycle gear - clearly I'm not alone, just like bikes you can never have too much! One of my best purchases and bits of kit that i always go to are my Endura Single Track trousers for winter riding, i like them so much i bought another pair.

Right now for gloves:-
I struggle to find really good winter gloves that work well with MTB. I have 661 Storm gloves which are a bit thin for frosty / icy riding and a really fat pair of Endura winter gloves that are just not right on a bike, they are too bulky at the palm. I have a pair of Fox winter gloves which are fairly good just just too small and are difficult to get on and off ( i ordered the biggest size xl). I have SealSkinz winter gloves which have an annoying ridge on the palm.

Would be interested to know if anyone has hit the nirvana of finding the pinnacle of winter gloves.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
A o'neal helmet
A pair of old shorts ( camouflage of course)
Any old T shirt
A pair of old flat trainers ( I have bought some 5/10 but only bought them because I saw Guy Martin wearing a pair) and he's cool ?. Just wear the 5/10's for going out in.
Aldi waterproof socks
Fox knee & elbow pads
Fox gloves ( not the flower)
Some cool looking shades ( because you need them)?
And the last thing I always wear when I'm riding my ebike, is a big smile?????.......who needs anything else.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the Fox Attack Fire gloves which are the best combo of warm/not being bulky i have tried so far in a dedicated MTB glove - i also have the Endura Thermolite Roubaix gloves, which are not an MTB glove but are awesome, thin but warm.

https://uk.foxracing.com/attack-fir...ar_21966_color=001&dwvar_21966_size=S#start=1

Thermo Roubaix Glove | Breathable Warmth for your Hands | Endura

This is my helmet, glove, and backpack cupboard! Just about room for a battery or two :cool:

IMG_3393.JPG

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I have the Fox Attack Fire gloves which are the best combo of warm/not being bulky i have tried so far in a dedicated MTB glove - i also have the Endura Thermolite Roubaix gloves, which are not an MTB glove but are awesome, thin but warm.

https://uk.foxracing.com/attack-fir...ar_21966_color=001&dwvar_21966_size=S#start=1

Thermo Roubaix Glove | Breathable Warmth for your Hands | Endura

This is my helmet, glove, and backpack cupboard! Just about room for a battery or two :cool:

View attachment 7431
Most impressive cupboard.

ikaramboo

Sep 21, 2018
Germany
I have the Fox Attack Fire gloves which are the best combo of warm/not being bulky i have tried so far in a dedicated MTB glove
Are they any good in wet conditions?

I bought the Endura MT500 waterproof glove but it feels like that the water gets through after some time in the rain. Not sure if I really like them. Also feels a bit too cold for my taste.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Are they any good in wet conditions?

I bought the Endura MT500 waterproof glove but it feels like that the water gets through after some time in the rain. Not sure if I really like them. Also feels a bit too cold for my taste.

I was wearing them yesterday in some pretty horrific conditions, raining and very muddy, and they kept my hands dry and warm. I wouldn’t say they are a super duper waterproof glove, and I can see them reaching a saturation point If ridden in a downpour, but they are good given they are still pretty slimline

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Would be interested to know if anyone has hit the nirvana of finding the pinnacle of winter gloves.

No, not me either. At last count I had seven pairs of gloves (ish, not sure. It's a while since the last count). They are either so warm that my hands sweat, or they are cooler but not waterproof. I have gloves that are windproof but not waterproof. Waterproof gloves that don't breathe......and so it goes on. Gloves that grip like sticky tape in the wet but soak up water like a sponge (they are great when it's warm and wet). In variable conditions, I take several pairs of gloves!

But at least I have normally proportioned hands. My grandson has hands like a mole! They look normal enough but they are thick through the palm and if he can get into a pair of gloves the fingers are always too long. Consequently he wears fingerless gloves, but has anyone ever seen winter versions? No, I didn't think so.
Thinking of cutting off the finger ends and sewing them up!

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
In the winter I'm wearing ex mod goretex trousers and a old work jacket. The trousers are really good to be honest and not to sweaty. I wear them over cheapy tracksuit trousers and Scarpa goretex walking boots. When I get home I literally hose my legs and boots off whilst wearing them and the only place that leaks is where a hole is in trousers. They also have zips up both sides so are very easy to put on over boots. I got the trousers and jacket for £40 off eBay but I don't wear the jacket, it just looks a bit too daft even for me.
I've tried wearing goretex trainers but the mud and water gets over the top of them so walking boots are better.

Last edited:

Bb49er

Nov 17, 2018
Suffolk
Now that winter is basically here in the U.K. I need some new kit. I want to ride as much as possible, not too fussed about warmth, more protection from mud and crap, something I can take off as I get home and chuck in the wash.

Trousers (pants?). Full length and waterproof (or as good as, just enough to stop you getting soaked).

Jacket. As above.

Anything else that’s recommended?

Thanks
Rob.
Cheap waterproof suit . No fear . For motorcycle but light . Leg opening at ankle too big . Extra strip velcro sort it or like me bicycle clip . For £22.50 sport direct do me .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles