LETS SEE YOUR RIDE FOOTAGE

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Bheinn Fhada in northwest Scotland for you. A serious ascent and descent for experts only (i.e. not me, as I found out). Drone and chin mount gopro footage.

First of all Tobers ..hats off for tackling that ..its gone to the top of my list of trails NOT to do in the N.W.Highlands..
Dont take this question the wrong way ..but what on earth made you choose that rock -fest when there are so many better trails in that corner of the world to ride...?
I do hope that wasnt your only rideout while in the area..( and you had some riding previously )..wishing you a speedy recovery from your injuries ( cracked ribs are a bugger as there is very little you can do ! )
?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
First of all Tobers ..hats off for tackling that ..its gone to the top of my list of trails NOT to do in the N.W.Highlands..
Dont take this question the wrong way ..but what on earth made you choose that rock -fest when there are so many better trails in that corner of the world to ride...?
I do hope that wasnt your only rideout while in the area..( and you had some riding previously )..wishing you a speedy recovery from your injuries ( cracked ribs are a bugger as there is very little you can do ! )
?

I had the same thought watching that video. Fantastic scenery and well filmed but looks like it would have been quicker to walk!

Sending healing vibes too, two weeks since my little incident and I still daren’t cough or sneeze, bruised / cracked ribs are a right bugger

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
?

Thanks for the good wishes. I have ridden many routes up here as I live part of the year on Skye. I'd never done this one, and was somewhat egged on by my riding buddy Ian who is into Munro bagging on mountain bikes. He hadn't done this one either. Had I known....etc.

Part of the purpose for the set of videos I've been doing is to help people who are looking for routes in the area to know what they are getting into. There are several more on my channel where I have an easier time of it (apart from the Boreraig/Suisnish one where it was all beautiful until I had another 1mph crash, OTB this time onto rocks again).

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Tobers
Ive done the Boreaig/ Suisnish ..(fantastic coastal singletrack) ride a few years back ( non ebike days..we also did the full Sligachan route & Fairy pools routes while on that trip ) perfect day ..in fact too hot ..
I will try to dig a pic out ..?
Lucky man living on Skye for part of the year ..are you Danny Macs neighbour ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Must get some talent from somewhere!
I would ignore everything I say from here as it's the words of a moron ..

But from a moron's perspective, you already have talent. Watching many of your video's you manage the bike through, over, round many an obstacle which look more than a challenging on the go-pro, so in real life must be 10x so. You often bring a smile to my face as the hero of the film survives something which looks like a 50/50 not going to happen moment. Equally, you sensibly dismount where you think it might end in disaster.

The latest film looked exhausting on the way up, you appeared tense in your arms - either from the video, or how I'd perceive myself riding it - I don't know.

Likewise on the descents, I don't think you lacked talent at all - what you lacked was confidence in yourself on that trail. Watching the video for 3 or 4 meters out it felt like you were going to have an off. I'm not sure if your speed reduced or your body position changed, but it felt like you doubted yourself and focused on a "problem" rather than processing and accepting that and focusing on what was next. (We all do it - and then invariably fall off).

But as others have said, great video, hope you heal fast and are back on the bike soon (I always over armour - double up - when riding with broken ribs) I think it helps you not tense up and fall off like a spud because you're worried.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Thanks that is much appreciated. Its very kind of you to write that and perk me up.

I think having walked up the route, and knowing how gnarly it was, I was nervous and tense for the way down. Not the way I’d want to be ideally. Also, I was 100% knackered by the time I got to the top which didn’t happen.

In any event, the fall would have no consequences 99% of the time. The 1% was when there was a steep drop on the left and nowhere to put my foot down.

A better approach would have been to do a few more gentle routes to get my fitness back before attempting anything weird like that.

Glad you like the videos!

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Here's yesterday's ride up at Gisburn Forest. Hot weather, mostly dry.

It won't excite anyone as it's not an adrenaline rush with jumps etc, it's just more of a demonstration of how agile the Rise is in the technical bits in the trees.

30 minutes of boredom for everyone! ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Here's yesterday's ride up at Gisburn Forest. Hot weather, mostly dry.

It won't excite anyone as it's not an adrenaline rush with jumps etc, it's just more of a demonstration of how agile the Rise is in the technical bits in the trees.

30 minutes of boredom for everyone! ?

Looks great. Starting to get a little impatient waiting for my Rise but it could be a year yet before I see it! How are you finding the power compared to your full fat ?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Edited for corrections...

Comparable... (actually better as the ride above only used 45% battery in Profile 2 - just been and logged in to the bike)

On the Merida, I use the STUnlocker app (recommended for 99p!) to set the power levels: -
ECO 40NM, 50% assistance
Trail 55NM 100% assistance
Boost (can't remember as very rarely use it)

On the Rise, I have two profiles
Profile 1:
ECO 25Nm, 40% assistance
Trail 35Nm, 100% assistance
Boost 50Nm, 142% assistance

Profile 2:
ECO 30Nm, 70% assistance
Trail 45Nm, 100% assistance
Boost 55Nm, 240% assistance

The lower weight of the bike helps... I started Swoopies yesterday and only part way in did I realise I was running with no assistance!
I ran Profile 2 yesterday at Gisburn because of the technical nature of the route.

Tyres and weather may be a factor at the moment...
Dry and relatively hard conditions mean the Maxxis EXO, MaxGrip 2.4" Disektor on the front and Exo+ MaxGrip 2.4" Rekon on the rear mean I am not getting much rolling resistance. I will need to change tyres for UK 'normal' conditions...

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Too hot to do a proper ride, but No2 wanted to hit the local spot.

it’s extremely rewarding teaching close ones to ride isn’t it

I’ve been coaching my other half for the last six months. She was a total novice, hadn’t ridden any bike since childhood (think pink bike with basket, stabilisers and tassels). Now she’s got the flow and loving every minute on the trails

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
What I love is she's doing stuff that I hesitated about when I first started just because she trusts me when I say she can do it.
Wednesday Night (didn't have my camera) she hit the big bomb hole at speed the first time, with no hesitation at all.
Just need to work of fitness and willingness to pedal lol.

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
Out of interest, how long does it take you to ride back to the top? I wish we had trails as long and as fun as that here
The lift rides back to the top take about 8 minutes on the Basin side of the mountain, and about 13 minutes on the Western Territory. The wait in the lift line varies, sometimes there is none at all, others like a holiday weekend have been 2 hours, which is rough.

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I'd love to do that.
I've got my first gondola day (non-snowboarding) up in Fort William in September, I cant wait. Shame it's a full day's driving away.

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
I'd love to do that.
I've got my first gondola day (non-snowboarding) up in Fort William in September, I cant wait. Shame it's a full day's driving away.
I'm very fortunate that Snowshoe is only a 3 hour drive for me. Being a season pass holder, I usually go about 8 times a year. The trails are world class which makes the drive worth it, for sure. Everything from fast flow trails, jump trails, to double black tech, and Pro lines. If you haven't seen it, watch the 2019 UCI World Cup DH Race that was held there, it was so good. They will be back again this year as well!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Tobers ..Ive only got to the part where you are at the top of the hill and start to eat an Orange Jacobs Club biscuit ..Im actually horrified that you jump straight in and munch a bit off the top !
Thats just not done..youve got to nibble around the edges where the chocolate overlap occurs first ..before eating the rest ..
The only excuse you might have is that it was a hot day and you didnt want to make a mess with melting choccie ..so you are forgiven ..but just this time ?...
Nice vid otherwise ?

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Tobers ..Ive only got to the part where you are at the top of the hill and start to eat an Orange Jacobs Club biscuit ..Im actually horrified that you jump straight in and munch a bit off the top !
Thats just not done..youve got to nibble around the edges where the chocolate overlap occurs first ..before eating the rest ..
The only excuse you might have is that it was a hot day and you didnt want to make a mess with melting choccie ..so you are forgiven ..but just this time ?...
Nice vid otherwise ?

I was not aware of this advanced technique. I commit to practicing it twice daily until I can perfect it :) . Thank you for your spiritual guidance in this matter.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
Super CLOSE call today. Yes I was riding up hill ? But it was a both direction track & I think this gentleman thought he was on a downhill run.
Could have been quite a nasty meeting of the minds:LOL:

And thought I would also add one of the features from the same track that's well worth the short detour
That was a close call!
Its been so long since Ive seen any ..but was that a puddle & some mud in the second vid ..??
Also ..you guys in NZ must be really honest as those sleepers on that old railway viaduct would have been " lifted" over here ...there ( as a result of the covid lockdowns.. but I dont understand why.. ) is a real timber shortage and prices have gone through the roof ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles