Let's see your cubes

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia

Fmxr47

Feb 6, 2023
Ohio
If you carry a multi-tool with a chain breaker you can rejoin a broken chain in a few minutes. Carry a spare joining link and the job is super easy: how to join a bike chain - Google Search
I know how to do it all I just was not prepared. It’s always the close to home rides where I pack light and think all will be fine. I’ve been a Moto, Diesel, equipment technician for most of my life. I did buy a nifty combo tool with chain breaker but quickly learned it was a fake knockoff and it broke, never did replace it but I have my Moto chain tool at home. Now I have a reason to buy more trailside tools.

RobbieMcManus

May 30, 2023
NL
Hey All!
New to the forum, I figure I'd drop a pic.
This is my second Cube. Had a Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 2022, it was solid and simple. Wanted to change to a fully and got the Stereo 140 TM 2023. It's pretty much brand new still with just a couple hundred kilometers on it.

The picture is from Gouvy in the Ardennes. Enjoyed the rides there. I started to notice a couple of things on those rides and over last weekend that are feeling off to me. I am diving into the "drag" topics here on the forum because of that and will start to do some specific testing.
But overall I am a bit dissapointed in my Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 TM at the moment and it's efficiency with that new 750wh battery. I did notice that Bosch has a nice calculator online on range. I filled it out and only added to my feeling that something is off.
Let's see what the truth turns out to be.

Anyone else think that bike (Cube) dealers make their money way to easily? Buying for 9K worth of bikes in less than a year, having to drive over one and a half hour (one way) to come check on a bike, no coffees on any of the visits, the largest store in the Country not even having the proper bike to test ride, could only ride small circles in store. No one has stock not even for testing. I dread driving 3 hours both ways just to get a service and already get the feeling something is off with the bike.

Picture1.jpg

RobbieMcManus

May 30, 2023
NL
@RobbieMcManus If your concern is with your new bike's range or Bosch battery autonomy, have you tried to drain the new battery (to 10-20%) and fully charge it (100%) at least 5 times initially. How many battery charging cycles have you gone through already?
Hello Rider,
No, I haven't done 5 full charges yet. Good point, thanks for letting me know. So I will at least take that in consideration while I continue testing.
So far I have charged; when I received it at 18% to full. Then from about 60 to full, about twice I think. Then from 10% to full and now I am at 3% or so, from yesterday, planning to charge fully today. So, I guess after today about 3 times getting it empty to full is what I should do.
My last two rides, from 100% down to 3% were as follows: 20KM in Eco mode while doing about 20-25kmph on the road, plus 18km on a track in EMTB mode. Very tech, so not too much speed. Then another 20K on smooth bike path in Tour and 14K in single track. So that is a total of 72KM of which 40KM was in Eco/Tour.
With my Hardtail on the 625WH battery I would easily get to 100-120 on combined rides like that. I am getting a meager 72KM on a 750WH battery?
At some point on the ride home (which was the smooth bike path) I decided to lock out my suspensions to save energy. Something I will start doing more.
But I think that the battery is not the issue as I have concerns with the drag I am feeling on the bike / motor.
I will also post on that in the respective topic, but since we're there.....
When I was riding in the Ardennes I noticed that whenever I got to a small descend while just getting past the 25KMPH support limit, I needed to peddle extra like hell to increase my speed. While actually descending, with mates around me on normal bikes, I had to put in a lot of effort to not slow down, while decending. There is a drag feeling between 25-28/29 KMPH and then it feels light again it seems. The drag is more persistent on EMTB than Tour+ if you ask me.
It was a really annoying feeling. It didn't feel like this on my Reaction Pro Hybrid with the same engine, so I think there is an engine issue or a calibration issue, which I will try to do more field testing for.
I have read people say; the feeling as if brakes are applied. That is excatly how it feels. We have some flowy bike paths close to the canals here. When I get on the decline and stop peddling I can see the speed go down, I have to peddle quite hard there as well to just maintain the speed of 27KMPH while on a long stretched small percentage decline. Then when I am in the single track, firm ground and tire pressure reduced on the flat surface I sometimes get slammed in brake mode (is what I call it now) just after hitting 26KMPH. It is very inconsistent and seems to be worse compared to the first few rides. Granted, there is maybe 250KM on the bike now.
When going down hill on road / tracks at 40 or over 50KMPH I feel no drag or slowing down at all. Even when well above 30 the bike feels "free" and running smooth. But when you're pedaling and the bike is between that 25-29, it really wants to slow you down.
Finally, what is super annoying, but that is a trait that just comes with the ebikes I think is that when you are coming of a descent on a very tech trail, go into a flat piece where I increase the speed from 20 to 25 and then just before another climb it goes into "brake mode" at the worst moment. I understand that last piece is something to work around while planning shifts better, but the harshness of what my bike seems to be doing is adds to this.
I have zero confidence in the Bike dealer. Poorly informed sales people, 6K bike delivered with scratches, broken cables clips and damaged rear axle Hex insert (looks like used the wrong tool and already FFed up my bike just on the buildup).
I have other MTB's and love them. But with how the TM is operating now, it's gonna become a niche bike waiting to get parked.
My theory is that the engine is dragging and it negatively affects the range because of it. What I have to do to investigate is to do some long runs on the road with higher tire pressure and locking out the suspensions, running Eco mode and see what my bike and battery does.

Last edited:

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

I have the 2022 TM 140. In average I end up with 70-80km, mainly Tour+ and offroad. Lots of people that had been running 625Wh before complain about lower mileage with the Smart System 750Wh The slow down effect is partly caused by the „sticky“ Maxxis tires and yes, beyond 25kmh limit in the flat it is getting tough pedaling - like having breaks on.

My experience with two Cube dealers was similar, i.e. presenting new bikes with obvious damages. The third was very good and I brought the bike to them for first service.

I love that bike.

Last edited:

RobbieMcManus

May 30, 2023
NL
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

I have the 2022 TM 140. In average I end up with 70-80km, mainly Tour+ and offroad. Lots of people that had been running 625Wh before complain about lower mileage with the Smart System 750Wh The slow down effect is partly caused by the „sticky“ Maxxis tires and yes, beyond 25kmh limit in the flat it is getting tough pedaling - like having breaks on.

My experience with two Cube dealers was similar, i.e. presenting new bikes with obvious damages. The third was very good and I brought the bike to them for first service.

I love that bike.
Hi Arminius,
Thanks for your reply and input.
Interesting info.
With your 2022 version, what battery do you have, 625?
Have you seen any issues on yours?
Thanks

RobbieMcManus

May 30, 2023
NL
Hi,
The 2022 is identical with 2023 model except painting and 400€ difference in price (Germany).
I see, all the same but at least you don't have the weird black piece in the middle of the top tube that is really subjective to scratching. The 2023 design fluke on all models.
Quite dissapointing to see you also suffering from that low range with this same battery. I had some hope you had a lower capacity.
Seems like bikes are following what phone companies have been doing, bigger batteries and storages, but all gets consumed by increased power usage, so no real advantages, just necessities.
For the longer days I suddenly feel like having to plan as if with an EV.... Lock out suspension, stay in Eco mode and increase tire pressure on roads, switch off BT, take off the screen...... SMH

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
I am not suffering. It is fine for me and so far I did not run out of battery power. On the 625Wh I think there had been a couple of riders adding a battery in their backpack to be on the safe side and that the 750Wh saved that issue.

What would be the options in others bikes vor you?

Colin1517

Mar 14, 2023
Lancashire
I wasn’t sure what to expect from my 2022 Cube Stereo 160 with the 750wh battery when I got it, as there are wildly varying tales of range and performance on t’web. After a few months riding I’m getting 30 - 35 miles and landing home with 25% left in the tank. Probably another 10-12 miles ish. My riding is generally moors, trails and old railway lines with plenty of climbing thrown in as I enjoy a climb now I have a motor. I use tour+ the majority of the ride and then towards the end I slip into the comfort mode of emtb as my knees start to ache.
I haven’t really cycled the battery charges from new, I charge it to 100% if I need it, if I do a quick hour before work I just charge it to what I think I’ll need. It never really goes below about 20% charge either, good practice or bad practice, I don’t know but it’s working for me at the min.
Not sure if this is there or thereabouts with what others are getting.
Your thoughts would be good 👍

RobbieMcManus

May 30, 2023
NL
Could it be, that either setup of rear damper is to soft or fork to hard? 🤔
Fork can probably be a little softer, but it’s not extreme. On the back my sag is a little on the higher side, but then again I don’t even get close to bottoming out and have done the extremes by now.

RobbieMcManus

May 30, 2023
NL
I am not suffering. It is fine for me and so far I did not run out of battery power. On the 625Wh I think there had been a couple of riders adding a battery in their backpack to be on the safe side and that the 750Wh saved that issue.

What would be the options in others bikes vor you?
I don’t have other options I want to pursue for EMTB’s. I still think the Bosch engine is greatest, but seems as if the calibration is not getting better. Cube offers pretty good value. I don’t have to rely on the EMTB alone thankfully. I have a Trek street bike and a Canyon Spectral that I also take to trials.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I see, all the same but at least you don't have the weird black piece in the middle of the top tube that is really subjective to scratching...
First time I saw that black top tube part it made me think the guy did a serious crash breaking the frame, and did a quick repair/camouflage.

A bit like we did with our rotten cars in the eighties and ninetees.

RobbieMcManus

May 30, 2023
NL
First time I saw that black top tube part it made me think the guy did a serious crash breaking the frame, and did a quick repair/camouflage.

A bit like we did with our rotten cars in the eighties and ninetees.
Haha, when mine is scratched too much I will just wrap some black duct tape around it just for that reason 😆

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
2023 Stereo 160 Hybrid (Size: Medium, Colour: Carbon), literally just picked it up from the shop, haven't even fitted pedals yet.

I pre-ordered it back in January and have apparently been #1 in the queue for this size and colour since then. It kept getting pushed back and last I heard it was end of August/early September so was a bit surprised when they called today to say it came in.

I won't be riding it until I've fitted a few things like fork and shock graphics from Silk, my Ergon saddle, some riser bars (will drop down a couple of headset spacers to compensate), pedals and tubeless.

Only issue I've spotted so far is the rear brake lever goes to the bar when pulled hard I've adjusted the reach as far as it will go) so I might take it back to the shop and get them to bleed it because it definitely doesn't match the front brake and I only have Hope and Magura bleed stuff and I plan on changing the brakes soon ish anyway.

20230621_153511.jpg
20230621_153525.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the big Bosch thumb switches and the big Kiox screen and the steering lock but that's the price I pay for sticking with a 27.5" front and rear wheeled bike lol. Maybe the '24 model will have slimmer controls and no steering lock and hopefully not a 29" front wheel lol, if so I'll swap this in for one of those when the time comes. Not a fan of the brakes either but I'll probably put some Hopes on over the Winter if I get on with the rest of the bike. 20230707_105240.jpg

Last edited:

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
You don’t sound too positive mate considering you’ve just taken delivery of a new toy? 🤔🤔
Nah I'm pretty stoked tbh, I've not treated myself to a new MTB for many years 😁 I currently have the 2020 version of the same bike and really like the simplicity of the Purion display and the fact it doesn't have a steering lock but that's just minor gripes, I'll get used to it.

Looking forward to nudging the assistance of eco mode up a little in the Flow app though because eco on the '20 bike is like riding in treacle but often tour isn't required so that'll be cool, also the slightly longer reach of the '23 bike is most welcome 🤙🏻

withersea

Apr 2, 2023
Leeds, UK
Enjoying life (other than the wheels) with my 2023 750 Race, mostly minor upgrades at contact points/tyres and getting a Kiox 300 head unit as the stock bike didn't have one.

Set of Deemax S-35 arriving this week to replace the wheels which I've struggled to run tubeless, getting a disproportionate amount of flats and not keeping air.

Might get a TruTune fork upgrade ahead of Ardrock Enduro next month.

20230612_195210.jpg

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
(other than the wheels)

What issues are you having with the wheels? I've read a few people don't rate the stock Newman wheels.

What version are they?

The action team comes with the Newman evolve wheels and I'm happy with them so far, they took some hits in Wales and seem to have held up well.

withersea

Apr 2, 2023
Leeds, UK
What issues are you having with the wheels? I've read a few people don't rate the stock Newman wheels.

What version are they?

The action team comes with the Newman evolve wheels and I'm happy with them so far, they took some hits in Wales and seem to have held up well.
I've got the Race version of the 160, so it will be bottom of the range wheelset.

I had lots of problems to get them set-up as tubeless (I've been running tubeless for years on other bikes).
The bearings never really felt smooth and are rapidly heading towards 'rough' and the rear (Newman) thru axle has a tendency to work loose every ride - this has now been addressed with a small amount of thread lock which is keeping it much snugger, but still easily removable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles