Lefty

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
So my lads a lefty, now after the day at dalby doing the green, I've noticed a lot that he near enough always has front brake pressed especially when going down, he's only 6 and he no's best!!!!! But if he's out riding I'm not too bothered!! As long as he's enjoying it,so very young but I think he should be over the back brake more instead of front, as a few times front wheel slipped so my dilemma is do I swap brakes over ?

Thanks

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So my lads a lefty, now after the day at dalby doing the green, I've noticed a lot that he near enough always has front brake pressed especially when going down, he's only 6 and he no's best!!!!! But if he's out riding I'm not too bothered!! As long as he's enjoying it,so very young but I think he should be over the back brake more instead of front, as a few times front wheel slipped so my dilemma is do I swap brakes over ?

Thanks
If by "lefty" you mean left handed you would have thought he would favour his left hand/rear brake. All UK bikes are set up left side of he bars = back brake so he just needs to be encouraged to use the brakes correctly. Front brake can only be safely used when the front wheel is straight. Maybe on a temporary basis make the throw on the front brake longer than the rear brake if that is possible on his bike...........or maybe rotate it further on the bars/ move the lever further in on the bars, so he cannot get as much leverage on it.

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Yeah left handed I like that idea, I think I'll try that, the front brake as well is easier to pull compared to rear as well just cleaned our bikes and had a look so my thinking is maybe smaller lever for the rear,

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
I have adjusted my boys break leavers so their finger reach better. its hard for them.

I moved the brakes into the center of the bars more so when he was on the brakes they were nearly touching the bars, definitely no room for his fingers behind the lever when the brakes were on. it just gave him a better stronger grip

I also would not be swapping left and right / front rear brakes around. It will set him up for a world of pain when he starts riding with all his mates and swapping bikes, he will for ever grabbing the wrong brake

Reactions: Dax

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
One thing I've learnt about kids - you can tell them but you can't tell them much! I like the idea, if swapping gets him onto the back brake more downhill, then why not, it's a practical solution. There's no rule that the levers have to be this way or that. The other option is let him go over the bars a couple of times & he'll soon learn but the downside of that is hanging around A&E is boring. 😛

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I also would not be swapping left and right / front rear brakes around. It will set him up for a world of pain when he starts riding with all his mates and swapping bikes, he will for ever grabbing the wrong brake

As a lefty myself I would have to agree with this. Get him nailed on braking the way it's already set up, it will save a lot of hassle later on. Also, if I would have spent all my childhood years with a left rear brake it would have been a right pain when progressing onto off-road MC's and then further on, going do my motorcycle licences. Not saying your boy is going to go the MC route, but something to think about.

As a side note, many lefties are largely ambidextrous (as I am) so he shouldn't find it a physical/mental problem to overcome, just needs a lil' extra help from Dad :)

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Don't swap the brakes over to get him out of a bad habit, let him learn the correct way.

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
I also made a lot of the changes slowly and small bits at a time and he did not realize I was making the changes. They are not as aware of their bikes as we are, they don't notice a small brake change every now and then. my youngest is about to turn 10 and he is just starting to actually tell me how he like his bike set up, he was not able to communicate what he like and didn't. I had to work that out by watching how he was riding.

pics of my lads jumping in this thread

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Na dad you are wrong, I can do better skids with just the back brake
Well if the child know which brake is which the he/she is good enough to know how to use them.

The problem to begin with is that they dont know which is which. In that case using both at the same time is best.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Well if the child know which brake is which the he/she is good enough to know how to use them.

The problem to begin with is that they dont know which is which. In that case using both at the same time is best.
Reckon you've missed a chap making an obvious gag there pal.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Leave the brakes whatever way round is standard for your country. Just hassle otherwise retraining years of muscle memory or swapping levers around for every bike he buys in the future

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Update on advice
I've left the brakes as they are and adjusted the reach closer on rear so hopefully he should go for that now gonna see how get on at weekend with him,
Thanks for all advice

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Get another adult that he doesn't know to tell him how to brake. Preferably someone with a title like "bike skills instructor."

When my grandson was 8, I paid for a one-to-one bike skills course. I thought he was good and I wanted a second opinion. Of course, I tagged along.

All the things I'd been telling him to do but which he wasn't doing, the instructor told him to do and for the same reasons that I had given. The little sod started doing them straight away and is still doing them 8 years later! :rolleyes:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles