Kids pads

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
As title really any reccomdations for kids knee and elbow pads that are comfortable and not like skate pads,
Looked at some endura ones in big bear bikes at dalby but never had his size, so thought I'll ask the questions and hear some recommendations

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As title really any reccomdations for kids knee and elbow pads that are comfortable and not like skate pads,
Looked at some endura ones in big bear bikes at dalby but never had his size, so thought I'll ask the questions and hear some recommendations
for someone that young you may need to get skateboard knee and elbow pads. Much easier to find in a size small enough...even from places like Halfords.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I think the answer is that you just have to go and try on the pads at your local bike shops. Pick some that fit.
To be honest there isn't very good stuff available until they kids get to small adult size. We literally looked in every bike shop across 3/4 of New Zealand for descent pads for my 14 yo son (he's small for 14). He is too small for small adult stuff and too big for small kids stuff.

We have some shitty knee pads that sort of fit, no elbow pads because nothing fits..... but we do have a good full face.

Here he is hitting the nuts trail. He's hitting some pretty big stuff. So I'm wanting to fit him into more gear. frustratingly having to wait until he can fit into small adult size.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
That's awesome to be both at that stage, some of the stuff looks huge aswell hats off to you both
Yeah its a big line for sure. The vid actually makes everything look small!. It's stretching my abilities. I had never completed the whole line before this year when my boy got interested in it. He complete the run a week before me.... damn they learn fast.

Here's a side view of the first drop. Its a solid 12' drop

1685395176729.png

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
I am a bit of a fan of body armour.
I have a 9 and 12 year old sons.

9 on 24 inch DH rig with 160mm travel front a rear
12 or a commencel meta sx 170 front 160 rear

both running fox knee and elbow pads
9 has the leatt 4.5 chest plate
LEATT CHEST PROTECTOR 4.5 JNR - BLACK/RED
12 and I have the 6.5 chest plate
LEATT CHEST PROTECTOR 6.5 PRO - GRAPHENE

we all use the TLD helmets

gloves, well they change them like underpants. I don't even know where they all come from.

100% goggles, their cheep ones that way I am not stressing about them trashing them and the lenses are replaceable and cheep.

12 and I have these shorts also, have not found them to fit the 9

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@kefconstruction I have some size "Youth" Troy Lee Designs Knee/shin guards and also same size TLD elbow/forearm guards that my grandson used when he was younger. He used them for a crucial few months about 10 years ago, been in a cupboard ever since.
You can have them for free plus postage. If they don't fit give them to someone else.
Send me a message via conversations if you are interested and/or need any more info.

Just took these pics. If they seem a bit narrow, they have been wrapped up in a cupboard for over nine years. They will open out a bit more.

Knee/shin guards

knee-shin guards.jpg

Elbow/forearm guards

elbow-forearm guards.jpg

Last edited:

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
With 3 kids of varying physique and ability ,we've needed to be adaptive .

Gform was great in the early days - knee pads become elbow pads as they grow +/- take bigger risks, and her elbow pads can be his knee pads if nobody is watching.

As they approached early teens, abrasion became as important as impact protection so in particular the knee pads needed a kevlar / tougher outer cover . Some of the kids were more athletic / preferred not to have anything restricting behind their knees, others preferred a bit more shin protection . It started to get harder to hand gear around the family and each developed their own preferences

With knee pads as they get a bit older, 661 make a few different versions with the thigh strap able to accomodate a growing child, and leatt seem to understand the way thighs grow differently as kids get taller .

Where we really started to struggle was once our kids grew over 6 foot - my daughter at 12 , son at 13 ..... so you can look forward to finding knee and elbow pads for a 6'4" , 14 yo athletic male who regularly rides home from a leg session at the gym ....

brentonb

May 12, 2022
Aus
Ps Brentonb - thredbo was an awesome place for a 12 yo girl. Specialized knee pads, g form elbow. Hard to believe that was 5 years ago

View attachment 116437
Yes Thredbo was sensational, we were there for 4 day over the closing weekend this season. I do prefer derby and maydena but alot easier to get to thredbo. My boys rated thredbo higher then I did, I found it to the land of burms.

It was very physical on the upper body.
we had some fun

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Thats awesome
@kefconstruction I have some size "Youth" Troy Lee Designs Knee/shin guards and also same size TLD elbow/forearm guards that my grandson used when he was younger. He used them for a crucial few months about 10 years ago, been in a cupboard ever since.
You can have them for free plus postage. If they don't fit give them to someone else.
Send me a message via conversations if you are interested and/or need any more info.

Just took these pics. If they seem a bit narrow, they have been wrapped up in a cupboard for over nine years. They will open out a bit more.

Knee/shin guards

View attachment 116434

Elbow/forearm guards

View attachment 116435
That's awesome To offer them, thank you before I read this properly I ordered some endura ones for him
But thank you really appreciate that

hogicid

Jun 2, 2023
United States
I think the answer is that you just have to go and try on the pads at your local bike shops. Pick some that fit.
To be honest there isn't very good stuff available until they kids get to small adult size. We literally looked in every bike shop across 3/4 of New Zealand for descent pads for my 14 yo son (he's small for 14). He is too small for small adult stuff and too big for small kids stuff.

We have some shitty knee pads that sort of fit, no elbow pads because nothing fits..... but we do have a good full face.

Here he is hitting the nuts trail. He's hitting some pretty big stuff. So I'm wanting to fit him into more gear. frustratingly having to wait until he can fit into small adult size.

check out skateboard protective gear
Hey. looking for some suggestions for skateboard helmets and pads. Also, do I need a knee, elbow, and wrist? I was thinking just the knee maybe the wrist as well.
Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles