Kids, eh?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My 9yr old daughter just asked me a pretty valid question about my Ebike I couldn't answer?

Why is the charger for it so big?
(Shimano E8000)

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
At a guess, the PSU has to supply a lot of current for fast charging, so some components will be fairly chunky. Plus if it has to dissipate plenty of heat the heatsink will need a reasonable surface area.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't know for certain, but it's probably due to the need to step down the voltage from 240V and to charge quickly and without overheating.
The battery may be made of the same stuff as a mobile phone battery, but there is a lot more of them! Maybe you could, try explaining it that way? :)

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
A valid question!
20181207_203955.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. Thanks @knut7 my thought entirely!
Thanks @Norange and @steve_sordy but she's not going to fall for those explanations..
She's 9.

hehe
:D

I'm sure I've seen a smaller charger from Lappiere or maybe BMW? that as for a shimano battery and a lot smaller too. could be wrong on that though.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Key point - these are PSUs, not actually chargers (all the balancing and voltage detection stuff is in the pack). As a result they are likely to be the cheapest available option irrelevant of size that they can source that can deliver sufficient juice, rebadged with the motor manufacturers name. It’s a nice way to eke a little more out of the purchase price as a margin, bit like those nasty hard tyres on entry level mountain bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles